Anyone here make software?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 13-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #1
rmedhurst
IDMf Supporter
rmedhurst is a glorious beacon of lightrmedhurst is a glorious beacon of lightrmedhurst is a glorious beacon of lightrmedhurst is a glorious beacon of lightrmedhurst is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460
Icon2 Anyone here make software?

Anyone here make software/do annny coding at all?

If so, what lannguages etc, what do you work on etc

Cheers!

Advertisements

------------------
rmedhurst is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 03:27 AM   #2
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903809
Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,115 Posts
Re: Anyone here make software?

Yup.

In terms of languages, in no particular order, Perl/TCL, Python, Java, JavaScript/TypeScript/ES6, PHP, Lisp, Bash and a tiny little bit of C.

These days I mainly work on server side web dev and in my spare time IoT projects and applications for creative media professionals.

Recent pro gigs include:

- Code reviewer for a supply chain management application

- Front-end developer for real estate and property groups

- eCommerce / Retail management systems in multiple industries

Side projects at the moment include:

- Record label asset management. Stores demo submissions, pre-master assets, release assets, artwork, artist/album metadata etc...

- Application for audio professionals for creating FOH running sheets for sound checks, load in/out, stage plots and gear lists. Will be extended to track studio projects and also a mobile app for making field recording notes.

- rPi DSLR photo streamer for professional photographers which converts and streams images across a network in real time. Will include features to pick/drop pictures before downloading them, as well as an interface for clients to rate photos as they're taken, etc.

- XML version control for audio project files (see this thread) basically will be a git wrapper which lets you commit change history of supported DAW project files.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 04:51 AM   #3
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
also a mobile app for making field recording notes.

Yes! This would be awesome. Definitely keep me posted on this. I'll surely purchase it (hopefully it will be for IOS?)

to the OP: I've been noodeling around with the unreal engine since around 2001, and with its latest iteration, have dabbled with some C++. Certainly not savvy enough to develop something from the ground up.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to vashima
Daggit (22-10-2017)
Old 14-08-2016, 06:37 AM   #4
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashima View Post
Yes! This would be awesome. Definitely keep me posted on this. I'll surely purchase it (hopefully it will be for IOS?)
I'll probably make it a web app first and then a mobile app second. Just because it's a lot easier than developing for one platform then refactoring for the other.

I will probably start a thread about this in the near future anyway as I need to get some sample folder data from various field recorders. For example, my Zoom H6n generates something like the following (from memory):

Quote:
/ZOOM00001
- ZOOM00001_LR.WAV
- ZOOM00001_03.WAV
- ZOOM00001_04.WAV
- ZOOM00001_05.WAV
- ZOOM00001_06.WAV
... if you're using the in-built capsules, it's just _LR.WAV, or 3-6 if you're using external mics.

So I need sample data for folder structures from other vendors because I'd like to be able to replicate this structure and customisation options so that the names and folders are automatically generated. So you would literally just tap a button on your phone to create the next field note and then start recording. So long as you remember to at least create the note with each recording, when you get home you would login on your computer and have a decent set of notes.

Then of course, it would be super cool to add pick / dropping that actually clears out the drops before you import... But I digress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashima View Post
to the OP: I've been noodeling around with the unreal engine since around 2001, and with its latest iteration, have dabbled with some C++. Certainly not savvy enough to develop something from the ground up.
Very few people are these days. There are so many libraries, frameworks and build tools now that a lot of development work is more about being able to connect different things together or follow a design pattern than it is building things from scratch.

It makes sense when you think about it though. Why bother reinventing the wheel when there are already 5,000 other wheels you could evaluate and choose from?
Thanks to Jaded
Nystagmus (23-02-2017)
Old 14-08-2016, 06:38 AM   #5
Jaded
Total mad cunt

And if you're into electronic music, it's well worth learning to program. The workflow is really similar and the money is really good
Old 14-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #6
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

I feel you on that. The new "blue prints" that the unreal engine uses is awesome. Pretty much a visual C++ workflow. I use the Zoom iQ6 with my ipad. just a little stereo capsule. I think the naming convention is similar to what you mentioned. It would be incredibly cool if the app could use the internal naming convention and have things set up for you when it came time to importing. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that thread and will gladly beta test her!
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to vashima
Jaded (14-08-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #7
arpeggio_junkie
Soundscaper
arpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of light
San Diego, California
MC Status: 510

Python is one of the most versatile, forgiving, effective, and well-supported languages that I have ever worked with.

It's amazing when you couple it with something like C/C++.
arpeggio_junkie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #8
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

mostly C#/.Net back end stuff. we interface with all kinds of medical systems at hospitals (heart monitors, EMRs, etc) and allow doctors to access all that information on their mobile devices.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 11:06 PM   #9
Taaz
Radial Developer
Taaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MC
North Dakota Eh
MC Status: 26008

Fluent in html, css, javascript, and php, I was pretty heavily involved in web development for many years. Moved on from that into scripting, became quite familiar with pawn, lua, and python, then learned all about object oriented design with c#.

Most of my c# experience is from within Unity, I have a few projects with many, many hours of development. One is an RTS that loads in Lua scripts & content at runtime to allow modders to create whatever kinda RTS they wish, the other is a multiplayer action rpg akin to Diablo 2. Given Unity's limitations I had to use an external networking library and write my own physics and pathfinding engines to support multiplayer, if I went with any of Unity's shit the online gameplay would have been buggy and kinda shit.

I use to post clips showcasing small new features, not much context behind them though:
https://vid.me/Crayz

Never had a job, I live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere North Dakota, there's no tech jobs, I don't even know anybody irl with similar interests

------------------
Taaz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #10
rmedhurst
IDMf Supporter
rmedhurst is a glorious beacon of lightrmedhurst is a glorious beacon of lightrmedhurst is a glorious beacon of lightrmedhurst is a glorious beacon of lightrmedhurst is a glorious beacon of light

Now you know me lol

------------------
Old 27-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #11
Maduraiwebdirec
Learning The Ropes
Maduraiwebdirec is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Google wants to put that kind of power in your hands, so you can create your own similar setups, whether you choose balloons, lightboxes, or a myriad of other components to bring your ideas to life. Before you get started you can take to Google's browser previewer as well to get some sort of idea of how your project will look when it's completed, so you don't have to be in the dark throughout the creative process.
Maduraiwebdirec is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #12
NotApplicable
Microknight
NotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond repute
MA
MC Status: 2860

I graduated with a bs in software design. I learned c#, sql, and java.

I don't use any of it. Everything that matters to me was the other kinds of courses I took (logic, forensics, etc.)

------------------
NotApplicable is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #13
rmedhurst
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotApplicable View Post
I graduated with a bs in software design. I learned c#, sql, and java.

I don't use any of it. Everything that matters to me was the other kinds of courses I took (logic, forensics, etc.)
wow so what do you do?

------------------
Thanks to rmedhurst
NotApplicable (30-03-2017)
Old 30-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #14
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12851960

Right now mostly python 2.7 and bash scripting for scientific research Linux cluster admin stuff.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #15
NotApplicable
Microknight
NotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond repute
MA
MC Status: 2860

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmedhurst View Post
wow so what do you do?
I just DJ in bars and pubs, take on a few weddings and parties.

Advertisements

------------------
NotApplicable is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NotApplicable
Jaded (06-04-2017)