beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements


Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
mute machine's Avatar
a garden with a cassette player
Age: 28
Posts: 1,508
MC Status: 19860
Thanks: 218
Thanked 397 Times in 322 Posts
beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

Quote:
THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.

Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

THE DEADLINES

Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a Friday. Submissions close and votes open at 23:59 on the 11th day (tuesday). Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day (thursday). The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day (friday) to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

All times are UTC.
juicy samples here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]


[WARNING] some of these samples contain loud hi-pitched sounds, my ears are not sensitive so, I don't know how these could effect yours.

I themed these around harsh noise because I want to see what you can do with them

rules

1.keep it under 13 channels (midi, audio, automation)

2.no ambient songs, I feel like those are way too easy to make with these.

3.no audio effect vst presets, you have to change the knobs yourself.

this will not be easy, but it will be fun.

Last edited by mute machine; 03-06-2016 at 09:14 PM..

Advertisements


------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: the universe revolving around me
Thanks to mute machine
MFXxx (04-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #2
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
lebeux's Avatar
Madrid
Posts: 3,600
MC Status: 59126926
Thanks: 595
Thanked 805 Times in 545 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

what do you mean by "freq manipulation"?
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lebeux
mute machine (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 9,033
MC Status: 170060
Thanks: 9,887
Thanked 3,401 Times in 2,537 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

Best of luck guys..can't wait to see what ye all come up with.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
lebeux's Avatar
Madrid
Posts: 3,600
MC Status: 59126926
Thanks: 595
Thanked 805 Times in 545 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
in ableton, if you load a sample, there is a little thing that says freq, don't turn that.
I honestly see no such little thing, but even if it's there I don't think an ableton-specific rule is acceptable!

Do you mean transposing audio files loaded straight into the arrangement?
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #5
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
mute machine's Avatar
a garden with a cassette player
Age: 28
Posts: 1,508
MC Status: 19860
Thanks: 218
Thanked 397 Times in 322 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
I honestly see no such little thing, but even if it's there I don't think an ableton-specific rule is acceptable!

Do you mean transposing audio files loaded straight into the arrangement?
I changed the rule after I realized it was ableton specific, my bad.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
lebeux's Avatar
Madrid
Posts: 3,600
MC Status: 59126926
Thanks: 595
Thanked 805 Times in 545 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

Cool beans!

Where's that freq buttton in abes???? I want to understand what you were going for
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #7
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
mute machine's Avatar
a garden with a cassette player
Age: 28
Posts: 1,508
MC Status: 19860
Thanks: 218
Thanked 397 Times in 322 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
Cool beans!

Where's that freq buttton in abes???? I want to understand what you were going for
just find any sample you want to put into a track, put it in the midi track, if it pops up with the one that is black, I think that's simpler, that's not the one, make sure it's normal grey colored, which should be sampler, and down in the bottom left corner there is a freq button, turn it on, and there you go. (make sure to turn the filter on)

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:23 AM   #8
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 9,033
MC Status: 170060
Thanks: 9,887
Thanked 3,401 Times in 2,537 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

By the way, in future, can we NOT make rules that exclude certain genres, as I think this is unfair..the BBs should be open to all to make whatever they like from the samples supplied. I mean, so what if they make a shit track..if it's shit it won't get any votes..but at least they were able to take part.

Yes, I know..I'm a little bent out of shape over rule #2, seeing as ambient music is my thing. And, MM, for the record..ambient tracks are NOT easy to make..shit ones are..and there's a big difference between the two. No hard feelings directed towards you mate..just speaking out against something I think is unfair is all.

OK..rant over. Once again, best of luck to everyone taking part..hope ye have a good one.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:34 AM   #9
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
mute machine's Avatar
a garden with a cassette player
Age: 28
Posts: 1,508
MC Status: 19860
Thanks: 218
Thanked 397 Times in 322 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
By the way, in future, can we NOT make rules that exclude certain genres, as I think this is unfair..the BBs should be open to all to make whatever they like from the samples supplied. I mean, so what if they make a shit track..if it's shit it won't get any votes..but at least they were able to take part.

Yes, I know..I'm a little bent out of shape over rule #2, seeing as ambient music is my thing. And, MM, for the record..ambient tracks are NOT easy to make..shit ones are..and there's a big difference between the two. No hard feelings directed towards you mate..just speaking out against something I think is unfair is all.

OK..rant over. Once again, best of luck to everyone taking part..hope ye have a good one.
I didn't really exclude them because they where easy to make or because of you, I excluded them because I want to see what kind of drums people could make out of noise. I didn't get that so much out of anyone's last round except for tsachi's, and no worries about the exclusion, would love to see you make something for this one though, I feel like you could do pretty good with noise. also, I said that ambient tracks were too easy to make with the samples provided.

Last edited by mute machine; 04-06-2016 at 05:11 AM..

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #10
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
MFXxx's Avatar
My own little world
Posts: 1,441
MC Status: 1831277
Thanks: 576
Thanked 716 Times in 499 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

Interesting. Should I be paranoid re the ambient rule after my last submission lmfao (no I dont care) So I could do ambiet and just slam a drum loop in it at twice the tempo?

Well see how I go as using the father in laws laptop, built in sound card and no daw that Ive ever used for any projects (fruity loops) and maybe ableton live if Ableton can sort out my pigging license. FFS activated it on the desktop at home but cant use on the laptop.
Anyway grabbing samples when I can hook upto someones wifi.
As for 13 track limit...think Id struggle with 3 on this thing!
As for the vst plugin rules I guess you mean start with any vst at a default or init preset and tweak you own?

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #11
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
mute machine's Avatar
a garden with a cassette player
Age: 28
Posts: 1,508
MC Status: 19860
Thanks: 218
Thanked 397 Times in 322 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Interesting. Should I be paranoid re the ambient rule after my last submission lmfao (no I dont care) So I could do ambiet and just slam a drum loop in it at twice the tempo?

Well see how I go as using the father in laws laptop, built in sound card and no daw that Ive ever used for any projects (fruity loops) and maybe ableton live if Ableton can sort out my pigging license. FFS activated it on the desktop at home but cant use on the laptop.
Anyway grabbing samples when I can hook upto someones wifi.
As for 13 track limit...think Id struggle with 3 on this thing!
As for the vst plugin rules I guess you mean start with any vst at a default or init preset and tweak you own?
yeah, you are still allowed to use vst audio effects, but you have to build off of the init preset.
I feel like it's pretty easy to use these by changing the pitch and adding a filter.

and I just made that rule because I felt like too many people did ambient on the last one, I want to hear some dank ass beets (lel)

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:28 PM   #12
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
mnkvolcno's Avatar
Posts: 1,287
MC Status: 25260
Thanks: 478
Thanked 505 Times in 366 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

I'm back!

done moving and ready to throw down woohooo.. actually should be able to spend more than one session on this one for once

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
mute machine (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 09:12 PM   #13
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
MFXxx's Avatar
My own little world
Posts: 1,441
MC Status: 1831277
Thanks: 576
Thanked 716 Times in 499 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

well it's going to be a struggle. Away from home and was hoping to use my able to license and get to learn Live over cubase. No cubase dongle here and fuck knows how anyone uses fruity loop.s. Maybe need to learn.
No midi interface or dedicated ASIO soundcard and just some samsung earplugs to mix on.
Let's see how this rolls out....
Welcome back mnk.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:44 PM   #14
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 9,033
MC Status: 170060
Thanks: 9,887
Thanked 3,401 Times in 2,537 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
I didn't really exclude them because they where easy to make or because of you, I excluded them because I want to see what kind of drums people could make out of noise. I didn't get that so much out of anyone's last round except for tsachi's, and no worries about the exclusion, would love to see you make something for this one though, I feel like you could do pretty good with noise. also, I said that ambient tracks were too easy to make with the samples provided.
Dude, you clearly said no ambient tracks because you felt they would be too easy to make with these samples..read Rule No.2..that's what you said.

And..seriously..I didn't think this was something personal against me, I know you're not that kind of person, from reading your posts on here..my point was and still is we shouldn't be saying which genre can or cannot be produced..it should be up to the individual to make that call.

Personally I don't do noise and don't have any interest in producing one..it's just not my thing and I wouldn't know how to even approach making one if I tried. Obviously you can take from that I won't be taking part in this one.

But honestly, no hard feelings..just wanted to go on record about that kind of rule being made in future.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:24 PM   #15
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
lebeux's Avatar
Madrid
Posts: 3,600
MC Status: 59126926
Thanks: 595
Thanked 805 Times in 545 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

You're not expected to make noise music!
Well, I don't think we are. Just music with a beat.
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #16
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
mute machine's Avatar
a garden with a cassette player
Age: 28
Posts: 1,508
MC Status: 19860
Thanks: 218
Thanked 397 Times in 322 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
You're not expected to make noise music!
Well, I don't think we are. Just music with a beat.
yee boi, lebuex is spot on.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:56 PM   #17
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 9,033
MC Status: 170060
Thanks: 9,887
Thanked 3,401 Times in 2,537 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
You're not expected to make noise music!
Well, I don't think we are. Just music with a beat.

I was referring to his reply, where he said, ".. I feel like you could do pretty good with noise." Maybe I misunderstood and took that out of context, but I read it as meaning the possibility of making a noise track.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #18
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
7asid's Avatar
Vancouver
Posts: 229
MC Status: 7110
Thanks: 174
Thanked 142 Times in 96 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

I just wanna add that genre specific rules like the 90's rave thing or the 70's early electronics rules quite appealed to me because they sent me on a rewarding research journey and an interesting and engaging way out of my comfort zone. So I hope future winners aren't discouraged from doing those as long as they're thoughtful and interesting. Something simpler and harsher like don't do a specific genre is sure rather limiting and not so fun but I think Mute Machine's choice is well supported by the fact that the samples lend themselves to ambient music a little too easy so the more interesting direction is to avoid doing ambient altogether. So, it's fine by me.

That being said, ambient music is a pretty heavy influence on my stuff so much that even if I try for a different genre, sometimes it could still be considered ambient. And beats don't necessarily make something not-ambient. BoC are often considered ambient(-ish at least). Therefore I'm not completely sure where the lines lie, but I understand enough not to do something that sounds more or less exactly like the source sounds.

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------
7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #19
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
mute machine's Avatar
a garden with a cassette player
Age: 28
Posts: 1,508
MC Status: 19860
Thanks: 218
Thanked 397 Times in 322 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7asid View Post
I just wanna add that genre specific rules like the 90's rave thing or the 70's early electronics rules quite appealed to me because they sent me on a rewarding research journey and an interesting and engaging way out of my comfort zone. So I hope future winners aren't discouraged from doing those as long as they're thoughtful and interesting. Something simpler and harsher like don't do a specific genre is sure rather limiting and not so fun but I think Mute Machine's choice is well supported by the fact that the samples lend themselves to ambient music a little too easy so the more interesting direction is to avoid doing ambient altogether. So, it's fine by me.

That being said, ambient music is a pretty heavy influence on my stuff so much that even if I try for a different genre, sometimes it could still be considered ambient. And beats don't necessarily make something not-ambient. BoC are often considered ambient(-ish at least). Therefore I'm not completely sure where the lines lie, but I understand enough not to do something that sounds more or less exactly like the source sounds.
I'm going to go ahead and clear this up for people.

1. you are allowed to make music with an ambient influence, just no straight up ambient music with no hint of drums at all.

2.I do not hate ambient music.

3. I didn't add this rule to exclude people or their style, I want to see beats made with these.

stop freaking out about that rule, I really could care less if you make an ambient track, just try to change it up a little.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #20
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
7asid's Avatar
Vancouver
Posts: 229
MC Status: 7110
Thanks: 174
Thanked 142 Times in 96 Posts
Re: beat battle 34: h4rsh n0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
I'm going to go ahead and clear this up for people.

1. you are allowed to make music with an ambient influence, just no straight up ambient music with no hint of drums at all.

2.I do not hate ambient music.

3. I didn't add this rule to exclude people or their style, I want to see beats made with these.

stop freaking out about that rule, I really could care less if you make an ambient track, just try to change it up a little.
I'm not freaking out about the rule, if you read carefully I'm talking about how I agree with your rule and that I hope that others' possible disagreement or misunderstanding of it doesn't lead to a future lack of interesting genre specific rules.

Advertisements


------------------
-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------
7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BEAT BATTLE XX lebeux Community Projects 50 10-12-2016 01:39 AM
Beat Battle 25 TheWizar Community Projects 24 15-02-2016 01:21 AM
Beat Battle 23 Tsachi Community Projects 30 16-01-2016 02:00 AM
Beat Battle 22 lebeux Community Projects 32 02-01-2016 05:08 AM
Beat Battle 21 Thomas Community Projects 62 18-12-2015 09:10 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Electronic Music Forums

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.