QAWM 2015
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWM) IDMf's Quarterly Album Writing Month project. Find all things QAWM related PLUS members own QAWM music!

Old 21-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744018791
Thanked 7,027 Times in 4,374 Posts
QAWM 2015

OK so I've had a little bit of interest in this already so I just thought I'd put this reminder thread up.
QAWM is not dead yet.

Instead of starting new threads for each quarter, this year the thread will run all year and I'll just rename it as and when and edit important announcements into the OP to try to keep as many people subscribed and interested as possible.

Any thoughts?
Do you guys want more rules or themes or anything for inspiration?
Should we try something a bit different?
Let me know what you think.

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153460
Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,152 Posts
Re: QAWM 2015

QAWM 'til death freezes over
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
lolirl (21-01-2015)
Old 21-01-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14710

I'm down with they way we've been working. We've already got too many rules; we shouldn't have to muck up the waters much more.

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to JMagee
lolirl (21-01-2015)
Old 23-01-2015, 06:48 PM   #4
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky

So I've got to throw out that I've been slacking on QAWM. I had a successful NAWM but it doesn't mean shit if I don't post what I did, right? I still have to record some of the parts - it all exists in hardware land at the moment - but they're there. Luckily though the hardware is giving me more useable results in faster amount of time although there's a lot of process. I've been moving on to just writing the next tune opposed to feeling like I need to dick with it more like I do with the DAW, just have to find time for a tracking day. I end up then only worrying about a mix and I leave sound design at the start of the process and this whole method forces me to give up on sound design while composing for the most part at least.

Otherwise I've started the great sampling of my Roland R8M, I'm getting multi-samples of every sound on there. Roland made the R8M with this "nuance" feature that changes some basic, what you believe should be modifiable, aspect of the sound since there aren't any filter, modulators, etc. Just decay and this nuance feature. So I've been cranking out the delay and recording each different nuance value so I've got the max length of the sound and all of it's timbres because my MPC has envelopes in it for days, I just need the sound. Either way, so many samples! And getting some rad kits going.

------------------
Thanks to JMagee
lolirl (24-01-2015)
Old 26-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
BALLZ!
nob Twiddler
BALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MC
խելագար սեւահեր
MC Status: 11265264

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagee View Post
too many rules
What are the rules, exactly?

------------------
tsxfgijhkt,ygt54esdy6hn
BALLZ! is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #6
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Use the quarter to write as much music as you can. Ideally you just write in February, use your downtime between quarters to gather ideas, take care of samples, get a new piece of gear. Whatever happens happens.

Also look at the title of this whole deal - Quarterly Album Writing Month; think of what the LP did for modern music. We're talking more than another banger or one-off; it's about developing a longer, more involved work. But it's really just about saying "I'm going to make this," setting goals for yourself, and sharing your material with people who share a similar mentality.

------------------
Old 27-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #7
BALLZ!
nob Twiddler
BALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MC
խելագար սեւահեր
MC Status: 11265264

Ok.

I've been struggling with inspiration for a while, but I'd LIKE to contribute.

------------------
tsxfgijhkt,ygt54esdy6hn
BALLZ! is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #8
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

So I've been thinking about what to do for QAWM. It might be bigger than QAWM but I need something to light a fire under my ass. I've been thinking about building a group with electronics but I also want it to sound like a band. I've been thinking about ways to create visuals for this whole thing as well; it needs to be an all immersive experience.

I've been thinking about ways to create jams that are sequenced but can also be loose - bands turn on a dime - so how to get that looseness yet with obviously quantized/synthesized/sequenced parts. At the moment in terms of personnel and instrumentation I have myself playing some bass guitar, a drummer, a keyboard player, and guitars with doubling on Tenor Sax and another double decks. I'm leaving my upright at home in favor of free hands and being free of feedback but I'll survive. I've been thinking light percussion sounds (going to try and stay away from drum kits since there'll be a drummer) and to sequence pads with the Blofeld. Essentially just try and create a blueprint for improvisation out of the sequences.

But I guess here's the question I don't really know yet - should the music be written with visuals in mind? And what's the best way to go about it? I noticed Critter&Guitari makes some neat little video synths and of course I'm aware of video mixers but I really have no idea how to go about it. It seems like the video can influence the music but it could get weird. Is there decent software available for this sort of thing?

------------------
Old 02-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #9
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5742393

No idea about the software to use for simultaneously making tunes and video, but I'm thinking you could pre-render some video clips to work with bpms you may work with. Then edit the video to more closely fit after you arrange everything fully.

I should have time to QAWM this month since the ole lady is going to be working a lot after her main job. Been fooling around with some ideas with no expectations, as I just haven't had the time lately.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bbb
JMagee (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #10
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Hype to know someone else is on board this month. We'll be crackin'

Yeah, as of right now just gathering some video clips and being able to modify seems like the best approach at the moment. I've also been checking out Critter&Guitari's little video synth boxers because video switcher/mixers don't cost nearly as much as they did 3 years back.

I'll come up with a game plan and report back.

------------------
Old 03-02-2015, 10:16 PM   #11
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5742393

That's neat

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #12
Garruden
IDMf Supporter
Garruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of light
San Jose, California
MC Status: 460

Something like this?

(Tried to post link, but not enough forum posts yet..)

Vessels - Blue Clouds on Youtube
Garruden is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #13
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

I don't know, it might end up sounding kind of like that. We wrote some really silly lyrics for some chords and stuff I came up with and if I can get a chart finished up between now and the end of the month we'll record it silly lyrics and all. Started on another tune though that seems to have promise and we're supposed to be bringing some other cats.

Maybe QAWM will turn in "build-a-band" month for me.

------------------
Old 18-02-2015, 09:17 PM   #14
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Wrote a verse and chorus for an actual song, one that might feature my voice. Now I just have to lay down these harmonies......

Haven't tried writing a song since I was thirteen or fourteen...just didn't think I had it in me once I got "serious" about my playing, that there were others that would do it better. Either way, uncharted territory.

------------------
Thanks to JMagee
relic (18-02-2015)
Old 28-02-2015, 02:20 AM   #15
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

So not a whole lot of progress made towards an album and I still need to actually record stuff from the last go but I think I'm on to something in regards to a sound. I don't know, want to start a band and write songs - have something a lot of people identify with. But here's the track. Still have to record the other verses and at least copy and paste a chorus but part of me is just about to get this dude in the MPC and start writing more and then actually record stuff. This version is pretty shit quality - just straight out the MPC and record hit + normalization with the listenback on a pretty shitty home stereo.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 23-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #16
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Hope everyone's doing well. The next QAWM would be May but I'm going to have to get a headstart on everything since my girlfriend is going to Nepal for 3 weeks and there's going to be a good copious amount of down time.

I've had this idea for, at the moment, a one man G-Funk act. Just my electric bass with MPC 1000 + Blofeld for my drums and general synthesis. I need to get some good vocal bits going but if need be I'll just get a VT-3 and start getting weird but hopefully some other stuff gets started.

I guess I'm ripping of Jackson and his Computer Band but I'm thinking about calling this project Albert Hoffman and his Psychedelic Space Orchestra. I have a combo that goes by the Hoffman Sextet and I'm thinking naming this the Albert Hoffman and his Psychedelic Space Orchestra because the orchestra I play with (Paducah Symphony Orchestra) abbreviates PSO so to bill a show in my town as Albert Hoffman and the PSO would be hysterical to me.

I'll get really high and continue to think about this and how this whole thing might play out...

------------------
Old 23-03-2015, 05:48 PM   #17
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 169360
Thanked 3,387 Times in 2,525 Posts

Just subscribing to the thread.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #18
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

[MAWM] Doesn't seem to be too hype. I won't lie, I dropped the ball. I'm going to be working on something new this summer though since all my gear is back home. The studio spot I had going kind of just fizzled out but I believe it's all for the best. Either way I have a shit ton of gear staring me down begging for a track to be made.

------------------
Old 25-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #19
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153460
Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,152 Posts

It's a shame how everyone has collectively given up. RIP QAWM
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
lolirl (01-11-2015)
Old 25-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #20
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 169360
Thanked 3,387 Times in 2,525 Posts

When would the next deadline be if peeps jump back onto this?

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote