Hybrid outboard/ITB modular system
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Modular software & programming MaxMSP, Reaktor, Pure Data, Jeskola BUZZ, and other modular programs. Any questions relating to these programs (patching, favorite ensembles) should be posted in this forum.

Old 29-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #1
Adam201
Soundwave Mangler
Adam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant future
Canberra
MC Status: 1960
Hybrid outboard/ITB modular system

Hey guys,
I am quite new to looking into outboard modular systems, but I am looking to one day building an outboard modular system.
My question is in the mean time can I buy an outboard filter and envelope generator and run sounds from (Oscilators) in my ITB synths into it and then back to my computer?
In my head can't think of why I cant, also it seems like it would be a cool way to add the warmth of an analog filter to my sounds.
One of the systems I was looking at and heard good things about was Modcan modular systems.

Anyone with knowledge about why this would or wouldnt be a good idea would be great.

Thanks guys
Adam

Advertisements

------------------
Adam201 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 02:02 AM   #2
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848
Re: Hybrid outboard/ITB modular system

I imagine you'll get a delay in the note start times. Midi can have around a 5 ms jitter, while the audio in your daw is usually rock solid. I wouldn't do it because it sounds kind of like a waste. Your could always go with a cheap outboard (is this the right word?) synth, like a volcakeys or a bassstation.

It also sounds more of a pain than it's worth.

You could get some virtual modular software, and get a dedicated knob controller to map things to.

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 02:14 AM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533030
Thanked 6,842 Times in 4,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizar View Post
I imagine you'll get a delay in the note start times. Midi can have around a 5 ms jitter, while the audio in your daw is usually rock solid. I wouldn't do it because it sounds kind of like a waste. Your could always go with a cheap outboard (is this the right word?) synth, like a volcakeys or a bassstation.

It also sounds more of a pain than it's worth.

You could get some virtual modular software, and get a dedicated knob controller to map things to.
I run a hybrid system that employs VSTs inside Maschine while it sequences outboard synths and a drum machine. If there is any latency I can't hear it. Maybe if you daisy chain a bunch of synths together the ones at the end of the chain might be off.

I honestly don't see how it's a waste. Not really a pain either, just routing a couple cables into the modular and out. My guess is someone would be more disappointed in a fiddly MIDI controller linked to modular synth software.

Not to be a dick, but are you at all speaking from experience here?

Edit: it is also entirely possible someone will come in here and prove me wrong in some way, it just seem you are instantly nay-saying a kind of setup lots of people work with.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Adam201 (01-06-2014)
Old 30-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269457708
Thanked 2,682 Times in 1,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam201 View Post
in the mean time can I buy an outboard filter and envelope generator and run sounds from (Oscilators) in my ITB synths into it and then back to my computer?
Easy-peasy, you need an audio card with multiple ins/outs.
I have a NI Komplete Audio 6, in my daw of choice, be it Live or Maschine, I set the audio I want to send out to a separate channel, into the outboard gear, then back into the audio input and record that.

As for the modular format, I would go for Eurorack, so much choice and so much variety!

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:08 AM   #5
Adam201
Soundwave Mangler
Adam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant future
Canberra
MC Status: 1960

Awesome, thanks everyone for your help.

Yeah theeuro looks nice. Wish I could test them out but no stores sell them

------------------
Adam201 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam201 View Post
Awesome, thanks everyone for your help.

Yeah theeuro looks nice. Wish I could test them out but no stores sell them
There are bound to be YouTube demos of a lot of the popular modules also @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
ecreek really know their shit when it comes to modular. If you go The Studio forum and go to the hardware and gear subforum and ask a question there (or in The Original Hardware Mega Thread) I bet those two will help you out.

When I was thinking of getting into modular I was looking at this thing called a Happy Ending Kit (just google it). Basically it is a pre built modular case with a power source that will get you started. Reasonable price too. Analog Haven, Robot Speak, and a couple other places sell them. Its Eurorack format if I am not mistaken. Also, I have talked to the owner of Robot Speak on the phone several times, really nice guy. Very helpful.

I highly recommend MOTU for interfaces. I have an older 828MKII firewire interface that has 8 line level ins and outs and two very usable preamps. Works like a charm and sounds way better than the Mackie interface I was using.

Muffwigglers forum is a good resource as well, they have several "mega threads" with getting started info...and somewhere there is a link interactive modular planning thingy that is free to use online.

------------------
Old 06-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

And on muffwiggler they have a very active buy/sell/trade section and their own online store...

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
relic (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

You shouldn't "thank" this @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, Muffwiggler is a very dangerous place and I see you slowly lurking that way...

We lost many brave IDMfers, we don't want to lose you to the Muffwiggler quicksand too...

------------------
Old 06-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
You shouldn't "thank" this @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, Muffwiggler is a very dangerous place and I see you slowly lurking that way...

We lost many brave IDMfers, we don't want to lose you to the Muffwiggler quicksand too...
Its true, I barely survived myself. The Arturia MicroBrute saved my life!

Advertisements

------------------