The idmf collaboration project
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
dapt funk
Soundwave Mangler
dapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MC
MC Status: 12698306
The idmf collaboration project

Just had an idea.. not often one comes along :p

A giant online music collaboration!!

This is how it would work. We would vote on a genre.. The we would all submit a 4 bar loop base that the rest of the track will be built around. We vote on those too.. Then, we debate out ideas of what we could do with the track, where we could take it. It would be very easy for all of us to dl a piece of a track and add to it, create samples for it, whatever.. thats the point its a collaboration, anything goes and everyones idea is valid, even if it doesnt end up being used!

Now obviously enough you are probably thinking who'd own it? Well, we would donate it to this site, as a thanks to the creators for giving us all somewhere to shoot the breeze.. If, and a big if, there were any sort of commercial revenue we could decide then what to do, probably donating a large portion to some sort of sound therapy organisation would be a good one.. and then a percentage to this site, for upkeep and the likes. But lets try to tease out the logistics of trying to actually get this to work first.

Personally, I would like to suggest a BECK style crazy ass piece of music which basically leaves the song open to just about any type of fuck wittery and madness! The only way I'm sure you guys would have it!!

Now, heres the other thing, obvious enough again, anyone who collaborates, even just with creative debate on whats good whats not would be recognised for their input. So this is where we're at. For this to work, we will have to make some sort of agreement as to who is going to take part.. So as there can be no, I did this and got no recognition at the end. A team would have to be devised.

I think it would be a really good way to learn and experience online collaboration for everybody, irregardless of experience or knowledge.

So who's with me on this motherfucker!?

Advertisements

dapt funk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:17 AM   #2
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts
Re: The idmf collaboration project

there should be some order to the chaos. maybe decide a key signature? regardless im in

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #3
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644418
Thanked 4,903 Times in 3,162 Posts

Undecided...but subscribing.

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
.mute
Ghostly
.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC
MC Status: 24256118

i think the easiest route would be a complextro track (regardless of its ridiculous name), but i don't really mind the genre so long as we actually make a coherent whole out of it. we also would have to decide on a key and bpm

------------------

.mute is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644418
Thanked 4,903 Times in 3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mute View Post
...complextro track...
Ok...I'm out.

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
.mute
Ghostly
.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC.mute is a savage MC
MC Status: 24256118

hah it's not my preferred genre either (in the least), but if the goal is a song both eclectic and enjoyable by the broadest audience, it seems like the simplest genre. as i said though i would be down to try anything. it doesn't seem like the ultimate genre would really vitally affect how most people construct their 4 bars anyway

------------------

.mute is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:42 AM   #7
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357173

this has been attempted on this forum, over and over again. and every single time, it didn't exactly work out. Come to think of it, almost none of the ideas involving multiple forum-goers and music have ever worked out here...........

Except when people like permutated, fidelium, or candlenine have selected random songs and released them under the 'idmf netlabel'. But when it comes down to it, that didn't really work out all that well either.

So yeah, surprise me, eh? ^________^

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762841

How about a dubstep track with lots of massive wobbles?
mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischjok View Post
how about a dubstep track with lots of massive wobbles?
yayayayayayayayayayayayayaya

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684970

The best way for this to work is the way I've done online collaborations in the past. Once the idea of a track is formed each person starts taking track in whatever direction he/she wants, and the additions are added to a big idea pool that everybody can use. Essentially a number of remixes of each other are being made simultaneously. I've never tried it with more than one other person but it seems like it could easily avoid the 'too many cooks in the soup' problem.

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
dapt funk
Soundwave Mangler
dapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MCdapt funk is a savage MC

Mishjok... no thanks

You could be right Son of Afrika,

Hopefully we could get something to work hellscion.

But even if it doesnt work, I'm sure there is something worthwhile to learn from the experience?

I was thinking that using as open a genre as possible would be best. If we made something around a breakbeat it would mean that most people could fit something into it. For example if someone made industrial sounding stuff they could add something in there, if someone wanted a warble dubstep bassline in there for a couple of seconds then no problem mishjok, although I have a sneaky feelin you were takin the piss there! What say you's?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
fuck you!
MC Status: 329126700
Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,190 Posts

meh......what hellscion said!
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
dapt funk
Soundwave Mangler

ye think?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #14
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762841

I was indeed joking. I hate dubstep lol
mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #15
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45945881
Thanked 5,754 Times in 3,617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
The best way for this to work is the way I've done online collaborations in the past. Once the idea of a track is formed each person starts taking track in whatever direction he/she wants, and the additions are added to a big idea pool that everybody can use. Essentially a number of remixes of each other are being made simultaneously. I've never tried it with more than one other person but it seems like it could easily avoid the 'too many cooks in the soup' problem.
I say I say, too many cooks in the kitchen, that is.

If it's one song this just looks like too much work for those involved. Make a song up, print the stems and get a whole remix thing going where people can collab on their own, then I might partake. Gotta look both ways before you take candy from strangers. The proof is in the pudding what is this? Just put it on ze table.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #16
dapt funk
Soundwave Mangler

fair point numerical..

Advertisements