if you release music do you have to use your real name?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 26-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC
MC Status: 2983763
if you release music do you have to use your real name?

When an artist releases music through a label to be sold as physical and digital formats do they have to use their real name on the packaging as in "songs written by ____" or can they use a fake name the way that some writers use a pen name?

I ask this because I know there was that thing about the tuss being Richard D James (aphex twin) but the labe was saying it was these other names but when the cd was released people were saying it says produced by Richard D james inside.... Like, is there some sort of legal requirement that in order to get paid the artists real name must be shown?

Advertisements

henryspencer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
McLean
Granular Poster
McLean is currently spamming hard
Chicago, Illinois
MC Status: 14
Re: if you release music do you have to use your real name?

Not neccessarily, I remember seeing Mr. Bungle's liner notes for Disco Volante, great band by the way...having some fake goofy names in their cd liner notes.

------------------
McLean is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Eyetooth
Knob Twiddler
Eyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MC
New York
MC Status: 4109613

Nope, liner notes is just liner notes. They don't mean anything legally.

Very likely if the label is paying someone who is using an assumed name they've registered that name with the government as a DBA - Doing Business As. Costs about a hundred bucks at the courthouse and gives you a document that states that checks to Aphex Twin can be cashed by Richard D James.

In fact, I've been told it's good practice for producers to sign contracts as their pseudonym and not their legal name - that way if they want to produce under a different name for a different label, they aren't bound by exclusivity clauses.

EDIT: note that I Am Not A Lawyer.
Eyetooth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC
MC Status: 2983763

wow thanks allot to both of you! If anyone else has info on this I am very curious. I feel that in a way this is a new era where there is less of a focus on the personality and image and more on the music (at least in the world f the experimental stuff), so I really see no reason why more artists should not be as anonymous as they choose. Im thinking about burial and boards of canada here where they make some of the best music ever and yet they can probably live lives and walk around their local area and be just random dudes.

Advertisements

henryspencer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote