so what are your panning techniques?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 753000
so what are your panning techniques?

pretty self explanatory, i always overlook panning and am trying to utilize it a bit more in my production so everything doesn't sound so static. what do you guys like to do?

Advertisements

------------------
Chaotix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts
Re: so what are your panning techniques?

A general rules I follow most of the time is that the low frequency sounds are most centered and the higher the frequency gets the wider they get placed in the stereo field. So elements like the Bass are usually mono right in the middle and sounds like high hats I often place more to the side.

Not a rule you have to follow but it can help in keeping things clean.

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564480
Thanked 7,471 Times in 5,276 Posts

Uh...I pan things? Panning isn't a trick, it's a mixing tool. If everything is dead center you are going to have more EQ/frequency clash problems.

I mean, there are panning FX you can do...I just mostly think of it as a mixing tool.

Last edited by relic; 06-06-2013 at 03:29 PM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Uh...I pan things? Panning isn't a trick, it's a mixing tool. If everything is dead center you are going to have more EQ/frequency clash problems.

I mean, there are panning FX you can do...I just mostly think of it as a mixing tool.
I think he gets that but wants help in how to distibute different elements...

------------------
Old 06-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564480
Thanked 7,471 Times in 5,276 Posts

I didn't read the OP that way I guess. And I tried not to sound snarky, really I did.

I I usually slightly pan extra percussion and hats as well as synth sounds and instruments while thinking about the frequency spectrum to avoid things clashing and having to EQ less. I'll even sometimes pan the snare/clap. I usually keep the bass and kick center, usually. And typically with the drum kit I'll pan it so it'll sound like you are facing a drummer and listening to him play...so I pan the crashes and hats accordingly and the snare if I'm panning it.

I usually don't pan more than about 12% either direction if I'm using panning as a mixing tool.

One "trick" I've been playing with lately is having an aux send with a delay into reverb or a reverb into a delay and panning the effects pretty hard in opposite directions...so it sounds like the delay/echo moves into the reverb on the other side...if that makes sense. Gives a surreal sense of space to the mix.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Barry Acid
Eternal Echoer
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072

Sometimes I love to go, left, right and center....oh that's about it! lol

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

I used to pan all sorts of drum hits hard left and hard right because I thiught it sounded like autechre. Then, one day a while back, I realized it sounded like crap and nothing at all like autechre so I stopped doing it. Some times I still like the occasional panned hit but now I don't pass 35%. Also if I'm going to pan a hit in that way I try and give it some purpose by thinking what comes before or after it.

I try and figure that out with any process these days actually. Finding the proper place for something to sit in time is just as important as finding where it sits in the mix. By in time, as I said above, I mean in the context of what comes before and after it. If its not doing something for a reason, get it out of there or move it.

Also +1 on panning the drums a tad for space. Usually I do that manually or with some sort of widening tool like abletons utiliy plug.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
Zoopy
Microknight
Zoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MC
Eugene, OR
MC Status: 102306

I use Utility in Ableton to restrict the stereo field alot, gives a nice layered centered sound.. I think.

------------------
Zoopy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

i pan here or there or everywhere
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

Okay sam...

I am.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #11
Ratify
Minor Glitch
Ratify will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Generally, anything of any real importance (the backbone of the track, if you like) is centred. Talking kick, snares, off-beat high-hat, synths, bass etc. I then add on some panned hits to add space in the percussion and pan various smaller elements that add extra 'feel' to the music, and widen the stereo image.
Ratify is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
mimicry
Deep Underground
mimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MC
MC Status: 6715879

60s-70s style panning can be fun sometimes. A song I mixed for an indie/punk band had a coda with a cool bassline and lots of action on the floor tom. I wanted both to sound really full and big, so I panned them on opposite sides about 50-60%. Panning something important can be a great and surprising thing.

------------------

Mimicry - Felt Like Walking:
mimicry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

Yeah I only really pan hard left or right when I am going for a Haas effect to make something sound wider. To do this you double the instrument you want to sound wide, pan one all the way left the other all the way to the right and then you delay one track by 10-20ms.

------------------
Old 25-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
alriley
Minor Glitch
alriley is a jewel in the roughalriley is a jewel in the roughalriley is a jewel in the rough
London, UK
MC Status: 260

Autopan plugins can be good but I rarely use them on a direct 'dry' sound. Instead I tend to use them after a return effect e.g. a a delay, just to give it some movement.
alriley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #15
alriley
Minor Glitch
alriley is a jewel in the roughalriley is a jewel in the roughalriley is a jewel in the rough
London, UK
MC Status: 260

And experimenting with LCR mixing (where you begin by putting each element only hard left, hard right or center) can force you to make bolder panning decisions
alriley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

When I'm panning, I tend to consider the placement of machines/instruments/percussion on a "stage" setting, just as one would pan an orchestral piece to emulate the effect of an actual orchestra in front of you. Sometimes I will also do fun techniques like randomize panning every beat (not hard panning mind you, maybe a limit of 50% one way and 50% the other) on a track with just hats, so the hats kind of come at you from all directions like a swarm of bees. Also, sometimes I will pan things that sound originally too far left or right to be more centered, because hard panning can tend to onset anxiety.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #17
thatSPIKEkid
Granular Poster
thatSPIKEkid will become famous soon enoughthatSPIKEkid will become famous soon enough
Seattle
MC Status: 110

I play with panning mostly with my percussion like people have been saying. Sometimes if I want a really wide sounding snare/clap, I'll throw a sample hard left and a slightly different sounding one hard right (being careful of phase cancellation ) and my ears usually accept the illusion of width.

------------------
thatSPIKEkid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #18
RaidenBeats
Fuck 'er Right N Da Pussy
RaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MC
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream
MC Status: 41760

I like to automate my hats and high end sounds to pan from left to right and back again all throughout the track.

------------------
Im looking for people to collaborate with on artistic projects. I am currently looking for a couple artists who can draw very well that want to work on a comic book
RaidenBeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #19
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 31810

protip: get it to sound good in mono, then pan.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #20
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

I tend to use a skillet more often than a pan.

*ba-dum-crash!

I use a lot of "random" panning in my drum programming, but only for extremely high passed elements. Ear candy kind of stuff. Kick snare and primary hi hat sound stays centered.

I've been tracking a lot of guitars lately as well, it helps to subtly pan layers to hear them more defined without needing to apply more gain.

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote