All about EDM Melodies
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
Loukasreth
Regular Freak
Loukasreth is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
All about EDM Melodies

Hello..I am working on a EDM (Progressive House) track and I create a well melody for me...I play it with 4 different sounds and channels and works great...but I feel that something is missing...I noticed that I dont have these ""Chord Lines"" ...Does anybody knows a way to full these lines with a specific way...I dont ask about how to process the chords , I know...In some tracks as you may notice the basic melody doesnt need chords and in others need...Can someone help me...?In addition,many times I created good leads with sylenth 1 these chrods are creating automaticaly ...I thinks ,this happened with big reverb and delay

Advertisements

Loukasreth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
TIMT
Soundscaper
TIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 418660
Re: All about EDM Melodies

It's called big room.progressive is the stuff that the border community label(james holden) put out in the early noughties and i suppose prydas earlier catalogue aswell (well sort of)

As for the chords they're quite simple to workout if you have a bassline to work off with your melody take the root note and count 3 notes up then 3 from that key play em all together and you have a triad.

that's chords in their simplest form

TIMT
TIMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Loukasreth
Regular Freak

Thanks dude for your reply,I know that...But I need something like a choir but not so visible...Something like chord bass...to " full"" your hear...Like Hardwell and W&W's Jumper ,the calm down before tha main drop sounds awesome
Old 07-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
TIMT
Soundscaper
TIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 418660

You might want to structure your questions a little bit better then as the context i got from it was you didn't know how to get chords in general

I don't listen to hardwell and i don't know who the other guy is but i suppose the same applies except you use them on a choir sound? And if you don't want it to sound like an obvious chord try using inversions so you don't need the root note to let the chord transition from key to key

TIMT
TIMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
Loukasreth
Regular Freak

Wow thanks,that's the thing I might need...Sorry but I dont know good Englist ,I try my best !
Old 08-01-2014, 01:59 AM   #6
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9010

Take a peek at [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Hopefully, with enough clicking, you'll find a sound you're looking for.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
Loukasreth
Regular Freak

Really usefull site thanks...!I search for the thing I needed...finally with better a reverb and more low notes...I fulled the gaps
Old 08-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238279

There are melodies in EDM?

Have I been doing it wrong all along?

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
hotwatermusic (08-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
hcgaron
Granular Poster
hcgaron will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Try writing a little countermelody to sit behind your melody and pad it out. The countermelody can work well if it harmonizes with the main melody on a chord tone. Something like a heavily detained supers aw can work well if it's low in the mix because you will feel it more than hear it, but it will provide both harmony and richness to your main line.

Hope this helps!
hcgaron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
Belivu
Granular Poster
Belivu has a spectacular aura aboutBelivu has a spectacular aura aboutBelivu has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

It sounds like you just need to put in a simple four note bass line to fatten up the melody and give it some depth. At least this is what's typically done in the Big Room genre... You start out with a melody that sounds bare and almost lost on its own but then you introduce the four note bass riff along with it and it gives the melody depth and purpose. These bass riffs are very easy to come up with you just have to usually start with your root note and then switch notes every bar. This also gives the melody more of a driving feel when combined with side chaining.

Advertisements

Belivu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote