a good mobile keyboard
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 25-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
DJ Hawes
Microknight
DJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improve
Torquay
MC Status: -109180
a good mobile keyboard

Hey, basically as im hardly at home where the main studio is, i have enough travling around with me to still work on music i.e laptop all software decent headphones etc and a MIDI controller, but one thing i do miss is a MIDI keyboard.

What would you say is the best small portable MIDI keyboard out there thats no overly priced for what it is?

Advertisements

DJ Hawes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Blank^
Digital Surfer
Blank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MC
MC Status: 3839694
Re: a good mobile keyboard

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I think it's the best compromise between size and features on the market. And the build quality is top notch.

Or get the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
if you don't need the drumpads and knobs.
Blank^ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478708
Thanked 3,102 Times in 2,052 Posts

I have an Akai LPK25 and it does the job properly and for cheap

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18030069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank^ View Post

I think it's the best compromise between size and features on the market. And the build quality is top notch.

Or get the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
exactly what i was going to suggest

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank^ View Post

build quality? sorry, but i've been out on tour with these things and 2 of the 3 we had amongst the crew broke within the 2nd week...

the usb port... the only mounting it has on the mainboard is solder. it will break on you for sure.

mine still works, but it required adding solder (a lot) to make sure it didn't do the same thing....

be wary.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS5n531 View Post

I eventually dropped it with the USB cable in and don't own a soldering iron

heh, this is from another thread, i wasn't even trying to prove my point here, but yeah.... case in point. and yes, i know this isnt the mini MPK, but given the Akai standards of build quality.....

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #7
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedestroy View Post
build quality? sorry, but i've been out on tour with these things and 2 of the 3 we had amongst the crew broke within the 2nd week...

the usb port... the only mounting it has on the mainboard is solder. it will break on you for sure.

mine still works, but it required adding solder (a lot) to make sure it didn't do the same thing....

be wary.
you need to be more careful with your equipment

------------------
signature loading...
Old 26-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
Spax88
Soundscaper
Spax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MC
MC Status: 6802622

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedestroy View Post

be wary.
You need flightcases.

------------------
Spax88 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 02:58 AM   #9
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spax88 View Post
You need flightcases.
this too

------------------
signature loading...
Old 28-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762841

You have to be really silly to take a device like the MPK mini, which weighs about 600 gramm and treat it like it were made of steel.

Not even my hardest keyboards get that kind of treatment that would damage them.

If musicians are taking their iPAds on tour, then you can also take any kind of thin, light keyboard with no fear.
mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
Subbase
Learning The Ropes
Subbase is currently spamming hard
Dub City!
MC Status: 10

The Korg nanokey is about as portable as they come, just a 25 key keyboard, no knobs, faders or pads.

The flat design means it fits in most laptop bags and unless you tried to snap the thing in half there's not much that could break on it. In saying that one of the keys did fall off mine, but my mate gave to me after many months of him abusing it so one key falling off wasn't too bad, especially considering I was able to fix it within 20 minutes.

The quality of the keys isn't top notch, they feel like a Mac keyboard, but they're very velocity sensitive and once you get into the swing of using them they're fine.

They were sixty quid when my mate got one and shortly after gave it to me, going onAmazon for 40 dollars now, can't see an alternative any cheaper.
Subbase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Amb - Forest Mallet
Old 29-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #12
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbase View Post
The Korg nanokey is about as portable as they come, just a 25 key keyboard, no knobs, faders or pads.

The flat design means it fits in most laptop bags and unless you tried to snap the thing in half there's not much that could break on it. In saying that one of the keys did fall off mine, but my mate gave to me after many months of him abusing it so one key falling off wasn't too bad, especially considering I was able to fix it within 20 minutes.

The quality of the keys isn't top notch, they feel like a Mac keyboard, but they're very velocity sensitive and once you get into the swing of using them they're fine.

They were sixty quid when my mate got one and shortly after gave it to me, going onAmazon for 40 dollars now, can't see an alternative any cheaper.
i havent got any experience with the nano key, but i bought the nano pad and it was terrible. if the quality of build is the same i would think twice.

------------------
signature loading...
Old 29-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
Subbase
Learning The Ropes
Subbase is currently spamming hard
Dub City!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
i havent got any experience with the nano key, but i bought the nano pad and it was terrible. if the quality of build is the same i would think twice.
like I said, like a Mac keyboard. I guess at the end of the day, you get what you pay for. I'm jsut abut to drop the Akai MPK mini back to a mate, it seems like a popular choice as its only around 90 quid but I think its a bit crap, the pads aren't sensitive enough, the knobs are flimsy as hell and the keys aren't too sensitive either. The plug and play function is very useful but it doesn't work for the knobs, I had to hunt a script down to get Ableton to recognise them.
Subbase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Sunil Sharpe
Old 29-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #14
Hanq
Learning The Ropes
Hanq is currently spamming hard

I really like the Nocturn 25.
it has 8 Trigger-pads and 25 piano keys. I bought it and I think it's well worth it's money.
The only thing i don't really like are the endless potentiometers. at first they seemed a little fragile to me but i never had problems with them. sorry i can't express myself very good i'm from Germany
Hanq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #15
Parricide

Quote:
like I said, like a Mac keyboard. I guess at the end of the day, you get what you pay for. I'm jsut abut to drop the Akai MPK mini back to a mate, it seems like a popular choice as its only around 90 quid but I think its a bit crap, the pads aren't sensitive enough, the knobs are flimsy as hell and the keys aren't too sensitive either. The plug and play function is very useful but it doesn't work for the knobs, I had to hunt a script down to get Ableton to recognise them.
thanks for the heads up on the pads. i was thinking about getting the akai LPD8 if i failed to fix my nano pad. looks like im going to have to save for a bit longer for something better

------------------
signature loading...
Old 30-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #16
Middie
Ghostly
Middie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 7202625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanq View Post
I really like the Nocturn 25.
it has 8 Trigger-pads and 25 piano keys. I bought it and I think it's well worth it's money.
The only thing i don't really like are the endless potentiometers. at first they seemed a little fragile to me but i never had problems with them. sorry i can't express myself very good i'm from Germany

Is this a similar size to an M-Audio Axiom 25? I think we're looking for MINIATURE setups, good for travelling. I bought the Axiom 25 thinking it'd be good, but it's really way too big for that.

Do Vestax have a keyboard version of the PAD1? That thing is stainless and looks to have great construction. I watched a dude smashing one against a table to prove its sturdiness. Hitting it hard enough to dint it if he'd continued...
Middie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 02:36 AM   #17
motox2121
Sample Destroyer
motox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MC
MC Status: 1118834

I havec the mpk mini. It is a great portable keyboard, as it has both knobs and pads in a tiny package. I would recommend but as said before be VERY careful with it if you have the usb cable in, as any force can cause the port to bend. As long as you have the cable out you should be fine transporting it though, just be careful when you are actually using it. Mine has bent and bent back a few times, but I know if it happens again it will likely break and I will have to resolder.
motox2121 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #18
DJ Hawes
Microknight
DJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improve
Torquay
MC Status: -109180

Thanks guys! i have just bought the mpk mini looking all good so far! cheers for the advice!
DJ Hawes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #19
MIDIboy
Learning The Ropes
MIDIboy is currently spamming hard

I ended up with an AKAI MPD unit not so long ago and I love it... I found this to be a pretty good guide [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
MIDIboy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #20
b1tr0t
Soundscaper
b1tr0t is a savage MCb1tr0t is a savage MCb1tr0t is a savage MCb1tr0t is a savage MCb1tr0t is a savage MCb1tr0t is a savage MCb1tr0t is a savage MCb1tr0t is a savage MCb1tr0t is a savage MCb1tr0t is a savage MCb1tr0t is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 6742719

Quote:

I don't know about the NanoKey II, but the original Nanokey is a waste of money. For a few more bucks, you can get the LPK25, which is much better built.

The core problem with the original Nanokey is that the metal that the key clips latch into is absurdly soft. Bang a key a few times, and you will find the underlying metal distorted to the point where you can't clip the keys back into place anymore. Frozen butter has more structural integrity than that metal!

And I've only used my Nanokey in my home studio.

The other Nano products are great. I'm happy with my NanoPad and my NanoKontrol.

Advertisements

------------------
b1tr0t is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote