Advanced EQ/Sidechaining
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 20-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
TheIlladelph
Soundscaper
TheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MC
Boulder, CO
MC Status: 236874
Advanced EQ/Sidechaining

Hey guys. Just wanted to share one of my techniques and get a quick discussion on it.

So when I mix, I put a parametric EQ on every channel. When I'm doing dubstep for example, what I'll do is have a peak controller on my kicks and snares. I will then link an EQ from the bass so that the highs sidechain the snare, and the low sidechains the kick. So when the kick comes in, the lower frequencies in the baseline spike down to make room for the kick, and when the snare hits, the highs spike down to make room for the snare. I also use this on a lot of other instruments as well so instead of controlling the volume of a whole channel I am just controlling the frequency range that I want to avoid mudding.
This for me makes more sense than completely cutting out frequencies and losing dynamics to avoid mudding. It's a nice technique and allows the track to breath a lot more, and gives the mix headroom.

Does anyone else use this technique? I have never really seen it used before so I'm wondering if there's a downside to this. Thoughts? And any other advanced EQ tips?

Advertisements

------------------
TheIlladelph is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
Blank^
Digital Surfer
Blank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MC
MC Status: 3839694
Re: Advanced EQ/Sidechaining

Using a dynamic EQ avoids the need of cutting too much and making static adjustments that don't live according to the track or sound. But it reacts like a normal compressor/expander with a threshold, ratio and timing controls. However, they can be side-chain triggered as well, if desired.

Numerous products in the market, but this one is my favorite:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Blank^ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
Rob Murray
Knob Twiddler
Rob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 7194817

The problems you're talking about are those created in arranging and production, and are best dealt with before the mix. The key isn't forcing a kick and bass to fit together, but finding a kick and bass that are complementary and fit nicely together in the mix, no need to notch anything out. Sometimes a sidechain is nice as an effect, or if it just doesn't quite work otherwise, and a dynamic EQ can fix some problematic issues, but I wouldn't suggest it as the go to solution for everything.

------------------
Rob Murray is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
Laserteeth
Granular Poster
Laserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MC
MC Status: 46395223

I was going to post a question on a related topic, maybe one of you guys might know something...

I was wondering if there was an EQ plugin that could take a sidechain signal and adjust the EQ relative to the spectrum of the input signal. For example, say you have a busy drum track, and a wild acid bassline that bounces all over the audio spectrum, it'd be cool to have an EQ that dynamically responds to the spectrum of a sidechain channel. I want this more for a deliberate/psychodelic effect than nuts-n'bolts mixing.

As far as I'm aware, no such plugin exists. I'm hoping I'm wrong!

Edit: Herp Derp I didn't read that my question was already answered in a previous post.

Last edited by Laserteeth; 21-12-2011 at 12:45 AM..
Laserteeth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
Rob Murray
Knob Twiddler
Rob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 7194817

A simple multiband compressor sidechained should achieve this for you.

------------------
Rob Murray is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
Blank^
Digital Surfer
Blank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MC
MC Status: 3839694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserteeth View Post
I was wondering if there was an EQ plugin that could take a sidechain signal and adjust the EQ relative to the spectrum of the input signal. For example, say you have a busy drum track, and a wild acid bassline that bounces all over the audio spectrum, it'd be cool to have an EQ that dynamically responds to the spectrum of a sidechain channel. I want this more for a deliberate/psychodelic effect than nuts-n'bolts mixing.

As far as I'm aware, no such plugin exists. I'm hoping I'm wrong!
A dynamic EQ with a side-chain input such as the mentioned MAutoDynamicEq?

Elevayta Space Boy?

Sidechainable multiband comp as well, as mentioned above.

Last edited by Blank^; 20-12-2011 at 11:54 PM..
Blank^ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
mimicry
Deep Underground
mimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MC
MC Status: 6715879

I just tried this in Reason. The MClass compressor has gain reduction CV out, I connected it to a combinators CV in and made it control a gain on an EQ. What's fun is that it even shows you visually (on the EQ) what's happening.

------------------

Mimicry - Felt Like Walking:
mimicry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #8
Laserteeth
Granular Poster
Laserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MCLaserteeth is a savage MC
MC Status: 46395223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank^ View Post
A dynamic EQ with a side-chain input such as the mentioned MAutoDynamicEq?

Elevayta Space Boy?

Sidechainable multiband comp as well, as mentioned above.
should have read the thread more thoroughly, cheers!
Laserteeth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024419

i am in the middle of making a plugin that does this very job

i love the technique, but depending on what DAW you are using it can be a lot of work to set up, which is why i am developing the plugin to make it easier.
of course i will be giving it to all IDMF folk

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
TheIlladelph
Soundscaper
TheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MC
Boulder, CO
MC Status: 236874

Hell yea dude, excited to check it out

Advertisements

------------------
TheIlladelph is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote