Battery Sidechaining?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 19-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
fourthmanfire
Analog Lurker
fourthmanfire has a spectacular aura aboutfourthmanfire has a spectacular aura aboutfourthmanfire has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
Battery Sidechaining?

Question for NI Battery users:

Is it possible to sidechain elements within your project to specific drum hits within Battery? (E.g. Sidechain a pad within Ableton to a hi-hat within Battery)

I know that Battery can sidechain elements within itself, but when I use Ableton's compressor, there are no specific options to sidechain to specific drum hits. (Not like Ableton's Drum Rack, where there is a drop down and you can select which drum hit, and pre/post FX you'd like..)

If not, is there a suitable workaround? Right now, my only option of sidechaining is to sidechain whatever element to the entire Battery 4 output...which is not ideal.

I suppose I could bounce the kick track (or whatever) to audio and sidechain to that, but this is a work-around, not a solution.

And obviously, I could have a separate Battery instance for each group of drums I'd like to sidechain, but again, this isn't solving the problem. (It creates another one w/ CPU usage..)

I've read the entire Battery manual and did not see anything in there regarding this matter.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Advertisements

fourthmanfire is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269457058
Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,800 Posts
Re: Battery Sidechaining?

Does Battery support multi-output?
Of so then it's fairly easy, create one separate channel in Live, direct that particular sound in battery to that output and sidechain as normal.
Maschine already supports multiple outputs, I suppose Battery does the same...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
fourthmanfire
Analog Lurker
fourthmanfire has a spectacular aura aboutfourthmanfire has a spectacular aura aboutfourthmanfire has a spectacular aura about

I believe Battery does support multi-output (up to 16 channels I think?). But pardon the stupid question, but how do you create that separate channel in live?

Last night when I was messing around with it, I can route sounds/buses in Battery to things like (1/2, 3/4, 5/6). I did this, but when I route to anything BUT 1/2, the sound doesn't come through (probably because there is no corresponding Live channel to output the sound..). In Live, all I see for outputs is (1/2, or 1, 2).

Help?
Old 19-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269457058
Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,800 Posts

Create a new audio track in Live, then in the routing option, go to "audio from" (I can't check the name as I'm at work) and select Battery, then you should have another dropdown where you can select the output you need to sidechain.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
fourthmanfire (22-07-2013)
Old 19-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
fourthmanfire
Analog Lurker

Ah. I will try this when I get home. Thank you.

If anyone else has any suggestions, or an easier solution, let me know..
Old 19-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Optimal Prime
Ghostly
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 6710

I don't use Ableton much currently so I can't really be specific, but in Cubase 4, when I first open up Battery 2, all of the channels aside from the initial 1/2 stereo outputs are hidden and require activation from within the instrument devices list. I'm pretty sure this was a Cubase thing itself though and not Battery, as I used to use B2 with Cubase SX2 before I went and grabbed a legitimate version of 4 years ago.

There might be a similar thing within Ableton, and this is purely to prevent the mixer from becoming full of empty tracks, taking up needless space. I'd guess there is a way of enabling them somewhere like in Cubase.

Oh and Battery supports 32 channels in total with up to 16 stereo channels.

------------------
Newest Track: Powercyan - Disciples of the Night (Optimal Prime 'Future DnB Remix')

Optimal Prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Optimal Prime
Old 19-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthmanfire View Post
Ah. I will try this when I get home. Thank you.

If anyone else has any suggestions, or an easier solution, let me know..
I think Automageddon's idea is probably the best/easiest solution you're going to get. Just send the single sound to a different output, then sidechain to that channel.
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389798
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,762 Posts

Or you can just forget about Battery all-together, and instead use a ghost (any short sound) to trigger the sidechain compressor.

------------------
Evelon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
Old 22-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42383949
Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,255 Posts

Battery does indeed support multiple outputs and can be configured so that any sound or group of sounds is routed directly out.

In Battery 4, right click the sound, click on the bottom menu option (I think called output) then select Direct Output and choose the channel. Make sure the channel corrosponds to what your DAW expects, the exact method will vary from DAW to DAW.

In Battery 3, select the sound you want and make sure you can see the cell info below. On the bottom right below the volume slider you should see it say "Master". You can click on the dropdown icon to the right of Master to choose the channel to which you want to send output.

In both versions, if you want to select and route multiple drum sounds simultaneously, just hold down CTRL while clicking on each drum sound before doing the steps involving selecting the output.

Both of these are off the top of my head, I'm not in front of my DAW right now so can't do proper detailed click-by-click steps.

Hope this helps

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
Old 22-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
fourthmanfire
Analog Lurker

Thanks everyone. The multi-output works great. Still not as easy as drumracks' sidechain, but a suitable workaround nonetheless. Thanks again.

Advertisements