How do you start your creative workflow? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #21
Tubordinate
Minor Glitch
Tubordinate will become famous soon enough
Leicestershire , United Kingdom
MC Status: 60
Re: How do you start your creative workflow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalo View Post
It usually starts when i don't have time for anything. It's THAT moment, everybody knows very well. I just start my DAW program, put first segment of the future greatest hit there, and after 15h of amok i'm still in front of the computer, with 2mins of track, without a will to continue. I save the track and don't go back.
TRUEEE THAT!!!!!! i have tonnes of projects like that.... the question is..... do they get better each time?

Advertisements

Tubordinate is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #22
Nikorasu
Minor Glitch
Nikorasu is just really niceNikorasu is just really niceNikorasu is just really niceNikorasu is just really niceNikorasu is just really nice
MC Status: 410

For me... I'm in a process of heavy and thorough learning and experimentation in finding my 'sound'... so I just start with something I want to learn... or experiment with... and it just takes me somewhere

Today I want to go through the factory presets in Zebra 2 and choose my favorites... then try to recreate them from scratch...tweak them... decide what about them I like... so where that takes me.

but probably eat some chicken and pass out for a while first.

Nikorasu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #23
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2910

Just playing with chords, if chords are shit then there are 99% of a chance I will never finish that project. Chords are like a happy little trees for me, makes me happy and gets me going.

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mario D
-Agu- (17-06-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #24
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Lotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond repute
Earth
MC Status: 2760

I get stoned.... thats what I start with. and then I usually get some cookies and milk or ice cream, and all along I have a kick and snare going while I search thru patches or samples, loops, etc, for something that fits, and when i find the texture or main feel to the song idea, i save it... and move on... keeping the same beat but changing hte main chorus or melody or whatever it is, that drives the idea... usually a bass synth or a texture synth that I have taken and modified and added a lot of dirt or tube/tape.

I worry about the small stuff after... I try to find unique ideas that may or may not fit.
Lotus_Jewel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:07 AM   #25
funkshin
IDMf's latest spammer
funkshin is currently spamming hard
earth
MC Status: 10

i usually start after a cup of coffee or something, and thinking about what i wanna work on the most. A rhythm or sound I've been trying to refine, or a song in progress, I feel like there's always something to work on. sometimes I just go through my oldest projects and turn them into new stuff.
funkshin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #26
Dr. Sleaze
Analog Lurker
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 2510

It depends on the track. if it's a song with lyrics, I'll usually start from the lyrics. Sometimes all, but at least a verse or the chorus, even if I'm not sure which it is at the time. Then I'll get a kick going on the sequencer and dail in a tempo I'm comfortable singing to. Then move on to getting a bassline going, then add more precussion, so it sits in with the bass, and carry on from there.
If it's a track where I wan't to use sampled vocal shots, I'll sort the samples out first, then load the into the player. Again start with a kick on the sequencer and then work out where I want the samples to come in or do the bassline, then samples.
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #27
mikemath7
Regular Freak
mikemath7 is a jewel in the roughmikemath7 is a jewel in the roughmikemath7 is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I tried this tactic very recently: I listened to a song I liked a lot and wrote down all the parts, instruments, sounds and elements that were in it. I arranged them in a timeline grid that resembles grids in DAW recording window. This way I got a reference on what the track needs. These boundaries made starting the actual work really exciting because I had a clear vision of what I need to create to finish the track.
mikemath7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #28
Daggit
Soundscaper
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
Däggit pronounced DAWG-EET
MC Status: 6710

0) feel inspired somehow
1) grab either a VSTi preset I edited or one I made
2) jam with it
3) calculate the BPM of the jamming
4) record the jam at the discovered BPM
5) start overdubbing or loading in samples and mixing as I go along
6) mix adjustments and editing of rhythms
7) final mixdown and rendering to 32-bit float WAV
8) archive and convert a copy to upload format
9) create more samples for next project by combining stuff
10) edit samples for next project

------------------
Hear my tunes at https://hearthis.at/daggit-gr/
Using: M-Audio KeyStation 49es, Alesis M1Active 320 USB, HP EliteBook, Xubuntu Linux w/WINE, Reaper, FL Studio, lots of freeware VST instruments and effects.
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Daggit
Vault O))) (10-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 02:12 AM   #29
beautifulhurl
Regular Freak
beautifulhurl is a jewel in the roughbeautifulhurl is a jewel in the roughbeautifulhurl is a jewel in the rough
Baltimore
MC Status: 260

I feel as though it really depends on the track. Sometimes I can get inspired just by noodling around on my gear, or from just a beat on other occasions. I usually start with some chords now, but I also enjoy trying to create a track that evokes some sort of feeling I have in mind, like riding in a car.

Now that I really think about it, I'd say my tracks start as thoughts in my head. "Oh, I want to make a jungle track", or "oh, I need to make an ambient album" are both examples of that thought process in action. After that, it's just a process of discovering the track in real time as it's composed
beautifulhurl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #30
LDKitz
Granular Poster
LDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

1) I start by choosing a dope sound that inspires me ( i use Maschine ) Or pick up the guitar , riff with it and see what comes out.
2) Start by listening to some music , and get inspired that way.

I do use the (2) method mostly when im stuck during the creative process , like , i already have the main melody done but i need some variations...

I always start with the melody.. but after that , its pure madness

Peace.
LDKitz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #31
Oldskooltekno
IDMf's latest spammer
Oldskooltekno has a spectacular aura aboutOldskooltekno has a spectacular aura aboutOldskooltekno has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

My creative work flow may differ from the norm here but,i like to fire up my favorite drum machines .
I then start jamming with different chords that have some tension and feeling and emotion.
I then create melodies, and create chord progressions then i mess around with different chord progressions until i get the right feel and vibe.

I then break the rules once everything sounds right to make it sound epic.
Oldskooltekno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oldskooltekno
Daggit (10-08-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 10:30 PM   #32
qantuum
Regular Freak
qantuum has a spectacular aura aboutqantuum has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Enter DAW

Try to reproduce this one song I liked some days ago

Fail

Close DAW

Come back to DAW moments later

Choose nice sounding instrument

Choose a mood

Start playing with chords (minor/major...7th)

Check for voice samples (if applicable)

Develop a perc system (2 or 3 different, maximum),

And finally try and play with pieces of melody that could fit together and with the chords, without overwhelming the track... Most difficult process to me.

Until now it works, it gives somehow flat sounds, since I prefer to work horizontally than vertically, meaning that I will more tend to extend the track with pieces of melody, than to make my one loop more complex; there are some functions I still do not master.

qantuum is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #33
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 30810

Lack of sleep

Too much sleep

All the drugs

All the coffee

Empty malls

Full parks

Road trips

Isolation

None of the above

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:16 PM   #34
Metaside
Sample Destroyer
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Lack of sleep

Too much sleep

All the drugs

All the coffee

Empty malls

Full parks

Road trips

Isolation

None of the above
This post could double as a nice contribution to the IDMF048 title discussion: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Sorry for OT but

Advertisements

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote