Hearing the guitar before processing.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements


The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
bbb's Avatar
ATX
Posts: 4,613
MC Status: 5744743
Thanks: 742
Thanked 722 Times in 630 Posts
Hearing the guitar before processing.

So, last night the internet is down, cable is out. My brother and I start a project in Live.

I have the guitar mono'd to my 1 input which is actually the same as my 1/2 outs to my monitors. If I turn the audio in the track down all the way, I hear the guitar while it's still being played. I'm getting a mix of it playing while I'm also trying to process it in project.

I'm guessing this is because my in is the same as one of my outs and I need to route my project audio through 3/4. This doesn't seem to be an issue with synth stuff but I'm using my AI to amp the guitar. I also have the input/playback knob on my AI turned to playback only. Even made sure all tracks were turned to "no input" on all tracks but the recording track.

I'm hoping I don't need to rewire/buy more cables but I'm thinking I'm going to have to.

Advertisements

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
relic's Avatar
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
Posts: 17,761
MC Status: 8560080
Thanks: 11,155
Thanked 7,383 Times in 5,220 Posts
Re: Hearing the guitar before processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
So, last night the internet is down, cable is out. My brother and I start a project in Live.

I have the guitar mono'd to my 1 input which is actually the same as my 1/2 outs to my monitors. If I turn the audio in the track down all the way, I hear the guitar while it's still being played. I'm getting a mix of it playing while I'm also trying to process it in project.

I'm guessing this is because my in is the same as one of my outs and I need to route my project audio through 3/4. This doesn't seem to be an issue with synth stuff but I'm using my AI to amp the guitar. I also have the input/playback knob on my AI turned to playback only. Even made sure all tracks were turned to "no input" on all tracks but the recording track.

I'm hoping I don't need to rewire/buy more cables but I'm thinking I'm going to have to.
Regardless of the fact you say it isnt an issue w the synths try switching it to the 3/4 before you blow money on cables. What do you mean on of the ins is one of the outs?! Sounds like feedback city.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
bbb's Avatar
ATX
Posts: 4,613
MC Status: 5744743
Thanks: 742
Thanked 722 Times in 630 Posts
Re: Hearing the guitar before processing.

It isn't feeding back, same with the synth stuff. I only got feedback when I routed my 1/2 out to my 1/2 in. I route my 3/4 out to my 1/2 in now for passing internal audio through external effects.

Basically I'm hearing two signals. The in-project track with distortion, etc. And the out of project signal, the one that is making me think I need a rewire or possibly missing something entirely. I only have 1/2 in, a 1/2 out, both 1/4" cables and a 3/4 out via RCA's. I have the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface.

If I have to route my audio out differently, I'll have to get more cables I guess. Since, I use the 3/4 outs for for passing internal audio out, hmm.
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
Evelon's Avatar
Posts: 7,576
MC Status: 214390098
Thanks: 885
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts
Re: Hearing the guitar before processing.

If I understand you correctly - turn your monitoring level up (guitar) and turn your DAW master (music) down.
Depending on how the loud you have the master "music", you have to turn down your master fader quite alot in order to hear the dry guitar at a good monitoring level.
Then you have to turn up the amp/active speakers/headphones volume up.

Also, be careful when routing your out to you ins. You (usually) don't want to turn the input monitoring level up so you get feedback. I almost blew one of my ears out that way once.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
iDoG's Avatar
Chicago
Posts: 678
MC Status: 17760
Thanks: 266
Thanked 355 Times in 240 Posts
Re: Hearing the guitar before processing.

the way you are describing it, it sounds you have Direct Monitoring turned on. basically, most interfaces allow you to route the input signal directly into into the output (and so your speakers), bypassing your host. this enables you to monitor your stuff while recording with near 0 latency. the downside being you can't really process the signal with plugins, so you can only hear the dry direct signal. though you also say you don't get that when you use hardware synth and that just doesn't make any sense. it shouldn't really matter.

i've never owned a saffire (have Scarlett, though), but quickly looking through the manual, it doesn't seem like there's a software component which provides the kind of routing i'm talking about. but looking at the panel, in addition to the knob for setting the balance between direct and processed signal, which you said you have turned all the way to the output signla, there's also a switch for turning on direct monitoring for mono signals. if that switch is on, then that would explain why you are hearing what you are hearing.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
bbb's Avatar
ATX
Posts: 4,613
MC Status: 5744743
Thanks: 742
Thanked 722 Times in 630 Posts
Re: Hearing the guitar before processing.

The best way I can describe the 2nd signal is basically it's bypassing Live altogether, it isn't something I'm recording though. It's just being played back through the monitors.

Evelon your post got me thinking, my brother was playing last night and it didn't occur to me to have him turn the volume knob on the guitar down to 0, the 1 input has the power switched on to act like an amp but the knob there is set to 0. I'm not even sure the volume on the guitar was up or down but my brother quite possibly fiddled with it while jamming. To be honest, I didn't think it would matter anyway. Leaned more to the AI or wiring issue. So if that's a possible fix. It will definitely be the first thing I do.

Last night, I was simply building some drums and trying to process his live play with some Live effects over the "in" audio channel while he was jamming away. After he stopped playing, it wasn't an issue. Just seemed misleading to the effects and stuff I tweaked up for what I was hearing.

As for feedback, when I first tried running internal audio to my external effects, I found out I can't use the same out/in channels to pass it. Was horrible.

Relic - One reason I'd hate to use my monitors on 3/4 is because I've dedicated those outs to being able to pass internal audio.

Thanks again for the responses, sorry if it was a bit confusing. Gave me some ideas of things to attempt when I get home. Seems I always have initial issues with new things(thank god for the community), hopefully I can get it sorted.
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
bbb's Avatar
ATX
Posts: 4,613
MC Status: 5744743
Thanks: 742
Thanked 722 Times in 630 Posts
Re: Hearing the guitar before processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbound View Post
the way you are describing it, it sounds you have Direct Monitoring turned on. basically, most interfaces allow you to route the input signal directly into into the output (and so your speakers), bypassing your host. this enables you to monitor your stuff while recording with near 0 latency. the downside being you can't really process the signal with plugins, so you can only hear the dry direct signal. though you also say you don't get that when you use hardware synth and that just doesn't make any sense. it shouldn't really matter.

i've never owned a saffire (have Scarlett, though), but quickly looking through the manual, it doesn't seem like there's a software component which provides the kind of routing i'm talking about. but looking at the panel, in addition to the knob for setting the balance between direct and processed signal, which you said you have turned all the way to the output signla, there's also a switch for turning on direct monitoring for mono signals. if that switch is on, then that would explain why you are hearing what you are hearing.
I know I clicked the "mono i/p" last night, not sure if it is still selected. Another thing to check out. Thanks. You explained my issue better than I did, lol. Maybe I need to rethink my entire hardware side of things.
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:02 AM   #8
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
bbb's Avatar
ATX
Posts: 4,613
MC Status: 5744743
Thanks: 742
Thanked 722 Times in 630 Posts
Re: Hearing the guitar before processing.

Figured out the issue. In my sound panel I had selected "listen to" in the preferences on my input for the AI. Turned that off and applied it and presto. Guessing I selected that when I was jacking with my audio settings the other day.
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bbb
relic (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
relic's Avatar
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
Posts: 17,761
MC Status: 8560080
Thanks: 11,155
Thanked 7,383 Times in 5,220 Posts
Re: Hearing the guitar before processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
Figured out the issue. In my sound panel I had selected "listen to" in the preferences on my input for the AI. Turned that off and applied it and presto. Guessing I selected that when I was jacking with my audio settings the other day.
Cheers man. Glad to know you sorted it...I hate, hate, hate when I can't figure out a signal flow issue. Half the time the issue is I burned one down

Advertisements


------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[IDM/trip hop/rock] HEARING THINGS Jazzyspoon Listening Booth 47 02-03-2013 12:39 AM
Hearing sub bass on laptop speakers? Noir Fiction The Studio 10 28-01-2013 06:24 AM
hearing your own voice recorded Owen De-Vice The Side Room 21 31-05-2012 04:04 AM
Hearing protection help niksah The Studio 13 26-10-2011 01:45 PM
[video/guitar] Justice - helix ( guitar cover ) essenthy Listening Booth 2 06-10-2011 10:18 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Electronic Music Forums

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.