QAWM 2015 - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWM) IDMf's Quarterly Album Writing Month project. Find all things QAWM related PLUS members own QAWM music!

Old 14-07-2015, 03:18 AM   #61
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538630
Thanked 6,954 Times in 4,948 Posts
Re: QAWM 2015

dunno when I will finish ...but I'm working toward a proper lp

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (14-07-2015)
Old 14-07-2015, 03:23 AM   #62
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181510
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
dunno when I will finish ...but I'm working toward a proper lp
Yeah..I hear ya, A..same here. Hoping to have it all done by the end of the month, but we'll see if that plan sticks.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 03:49 AM   #63
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

yea...I have 8 track ideas in various stages...

------------------
Old 16-07-2015, 04:45 AM   #64
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14710

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
digging what you've posted. I'm excited to hear where you go with your jams. Are you thinking about taking your jam ideas to a more controlled place? Like when you listen back a week later will you go, "I let that loop go too long" or whatever? Do you want the jams to just live as jams and see what happens? Either way, enjoying the sounds - just was curious if you had any other plans in the works.

I'm one track down at the moment (minus another ten hours of tinkering just for "peace of mind" or some shit), got another one where the framework is there and I don't know if it needs a synth or if the sample speaks loud enough. Started on a new track in the past week, getting some drums going on besides just the break and maybe I can bring back a song I wrote back during the snow. I never wrote a verse for it and it needs it desperately but it would be a shame not to finish that track.

Considering I hang out with singer/songwriter types rather constantly I guess I felt that needed to do something like that but electronic. Plus I bought a Voicelive touch. So I'm trying to come up with lyrics and such and I've got one loopy lyrics tune done. The one missing a verse is similar so it might tie together the weirdness of this little album.

My goal is to have my monitor mixes posted by the end of the month. I know recording this stuff is just going to like some days and then mixing and mastering it. But I'm writing on hardware so there's going to be a serious recording day in my future soon. Also, pretty sure I'm going to lay down some electric bass on this new track. Anything goes in my book so long as it sounds real!

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to JMagee
A.M (16-07-2015)
Old 16-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #65
Br/ainfu+ked
Savage Mad Cunt
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45963298
Thanked 1,149 Times in 884 Posts

finally finished some tracks this month, it took a while to make them.....probably a hit or a shit

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #66
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Sounds cool, guys..really looking forward to checking out all the tracks at the end of the month.

------------------
Old 20-07-2015, 02:51 PM   #67
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky

Well my band is going out on the road a lot over the next two weeks. Here's to taking my tracks in August. Ball done dropped.

------------------
Thanks to JMagee
A.M (20-07-2015)
Old 20-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #68
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagee View Post
Well my band is going out on the road a lot over the next two weeks. Here's to taking my tracks in August. Ball done dropped.
No worries, J..at least you stuck with it this far, man..that's saying something. Hope things go well for ye on the road.

------------------
Old 20-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #69
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

@J yea I am going to go back and edit things down to loops and phrases and do more logical arrangements that way...the jams are more of a way to get a feeling for the track and get variations on the patches sounds in more organic/expressive way. I use a DAW best as an audio editor and arranger.

------------------
Old 21-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #70
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Truth!!! I've got this remix going and I'm using a soft synth for the bassline because most of my other stuff just blows on that front and it's weird getting the gain staging going from DAW/Hardware. I guess really it's just an extra step but when the hardware is hitting right I don't want to dick with faders in my DAW. First world problems.

But I feels you, my DAW is either power sequencing or recording, no real in between. I have really been enjoying using Live's midi effects to get more details in my drums though. MIDI LFO to something like note length/velocity so I get more mileage out of my static envelopes on my hardware.

------------------
Old 01-08-2015, 11:21 AM   #71
A.M

Here's the links to what I ended up with at the end of this challenge. Please note these are still all WIPs..didn't get to work on them as much as I had hoped or intended, due to on-going health issues..due to the same, this will be the last time I'll be taking part in QAWM.

It's been fun working on these so far..and, yes, the reverb is a bit bright and heavy..but that's part of the sound I'm trying to get to..not really there yet, but nearly. I got to experiment a bit on most of these and there is a kind of roughness to some of them that still works I think.

The mastering side of things still needs work..as does some basic mixing here and there..I haven't even tested these on anything to see how they sound, so if there's glaring errors in any of them, please feel free to point the same out to me..Thanks.

Anyway, with all that in mind, have a listen if you have the time and please let me know what you think.

( Links Removed..see edit below for details if interested. )

PS: Apologies for being slightly outside the deadline with these..lost most of yesterday installing Windows 10 and tweaking it..and only just finished uploading these a short while ago.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

EDIT: Sorry..I've removed the links to all 11 tracks, as they've been up now for just over 3 weeks at the time of writing this..and I didn't want them out in public any longer as they were when I first posted them. Each needs more work and that's where I'm at right now.

Sorry if you didn't get to listen to them, but..like I said..they've been posted up here for the last 3 weeks.

Last edited by A.M; 22-08-2015 at 07:29 AM..

------------------
Old 01-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #72
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I'll try to have a listen ASAP AM. I have quite a few multitrack recordings but ended up taking a summer class and lost the end of July. Dunno when I'll get to finishing up the collection but I am going to finish something for the first time I years damn it! I'll report back when I do.

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 12:14 AM   #73
A.M

Quote:
I'll try to have a listen ASAP AM. I have quite a few multitrack recordings but ended up taking a summer class and lost the end of July. Dunno when I'll get to finishing up the collection but I am going to finish something for the first time I years damn it! I'll report back when I do.
No worries..really looking forward to hearing the finished collection when it's done and dusted. Will you be releasing it when it is?

------------------
Old 02-08-2015, 01:14 AM   #74
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
No worries..really looking forward to hearing the finished collection when it's done and dusted. Will you be releasing it when it is?
yea hoping to make it my first proper release in some years...going to look into an ME...hoping to find someone that can do a nice vibes heavy 90s sound

part of that will come at the mixing stage as well obviously

------------------
Old 04-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #75
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Please note these are still all WIPs..didn't get to work on them as much as I had hoped or intended, due to on-going health issues..due to the same, this will be the last time I'll be taking part in QAWM.
Man, listening to what you posted. I hate to hear about your health. Get on that ASAP and I wish you the best man!!!!!

------------------
Thanks to JMagee
A.M (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #76
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Quote:
yea hoping to make it my first proper release in some years...going to look into an ME...hoping to find someone that can do a nice vibes heavy 90s sound

part of that will come at the mixing stage as well obviously
I have a guy in Louisville who's pretty spot on. Super serious gear and marvelous listening/mastering space. He's also relatively cheap and has a super awesome work ethic. He mainly has done acoustic music though but his collection of Moogerfoogers and self-oscillating Moogerfooger videos are constantly growing, so I don't think the electronic game is too distant from him.

------------------
Old 05-08-2015, 06:35 AM   #77
A.M

Quote:
Man, listening to what you posted. I hate to hear about your health. Get on that ASAP and I wish you the best man!!!!!
Cheers, J..hope ya like what you hear, even though work is needed on each of them still. Regarding the heath matter..already working on it, mate..hopefully it will all work out well in the end.

------------------
Old 24-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #78
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
I'm down with they way we've been working. We've already got too many rules; we shouldn't have to muck up the waters much more.
can somebody please point me to these rules? I want to start my own thread thing

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
relic (24-12-2015)
Old 24-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #79
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
can somebody please point me to these rules? I want to start my own thread thing
One is supposed to write/arrange/compose an album's worth of music in a month. Does not have to be mix, polished, finished etc. The point is to finish the album's worth of music in a month no matter what. As a creative exercise. I find I get much more out of it when I actually stick to this. I get better material over all. It is about getting ideas down on paper, not making a finished product in one month.

In February (FAWM) it is 14 songs in 28 days, though I think one can reinterpret this into something a tad looser. Like 45 minutes of music in a month.

For someone just writing songs on guitar, for example, it is a way different experience. Electronic musicians tend to get too caught up in "oh, I can't share because it isn't perfect enough I need to tweak this patch and that EQ for 1,000 more hours".

I'm just going to say it: I really feel like the spirit of what FAWM is about has been watered down here. This year I am probably going to go back and do FAWM at FAWM.org. I'm not trying to start shit or get on anyone's case.

I highly recommend checking out the website and taking a look at how they do things. It is also highly collaborative and very much about sharing rough, rough, rough wips.

------------------
Thanks to relic
FunkMasterBrown (24-12-2015)
Old 24-12-2015, 04:52 PM   #80
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25860

So is anyone keen on starting one up for the new year?
I realize it won't be 2015 anymore but January looks like it is going to be quiet at work for me!
Any takers?

Advertisements

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote