QAWM 2015 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWM) IDMf's Quarterly Album Writing Month project. Find all things QAWM related PLUS members own QAWM music!

Old 25-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #21
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: QAWM 2015

I vote for JAWM, either June or July.

In a perfect world, this would be a monthly thing that we all did whenever we had a less-busy month in our lives, but I don't know if there are that many QAWMers left as it is.

Also, is LOLIRL gone for life? I hope to fuck not

Advertisements

Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
lolirl (01-11-2015)
Old 25-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #22
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 180710
Thanked 3,614 Times in 2,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
I vote for JAWM, either June or July.

In a perfect world, this would be a monthly thing that we all did whenever we had a less-busy month in our lives, but I don't know if there are that many QAWMers left as it is.

Also, is LOLIRL gone for life? I hope to fuck not
Yeah..know what you mean..and, no, L's still around..sure I saw him in here earlier..or was that yesterday..not sure. Guess he's busy offline with work, holidays and general stuff..that time of year, I guess.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Kvlt O))) (25-05-2015)
Old 25-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #23
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14710

Well even if @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
ain't around at the moment lets just do the JJAWM, the double month thing! Twice as much material required! Not really, just twice the guilt about not posting/doing anything.

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #24
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

OK, guys and girls..it's the 1st of June..so whose with me in this?

I'm going to give this one a try..nothing like the hectic / frantic pace I've exhibited in the past..don't even know if I'll get this one finished, but I'm up for giving it a go. I'm going to start work on it in an hour or so.

One thing I think we need to go back to is posting either daily or weekly updates for everyone to see how we are getting on..and for all of us to make the effort to leave feedback on those updates..after all, this is a team thing and we need to support each other through this..otherwise we could just go off and do this outside of the group by ourselves.

SO..can we have a head count as to who IS going to do this and then let's get going with it? :badger:

------------------
Old 02-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #25
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky

I'm right there with you!

------------------
Thanks to JMagee
A.M (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #26
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269461808
Thanked 2,764 Times in 1,838 Posts

I'm going on holiday tomorrow and I'm working on a project, no game this time around

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
A.M (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #27
A.M

@ JM: Nice one! That makes two of us anyway, for now..hopefully more will be able to take part. In the meantime we'll just have to get on with it ourselves.

@ Auto: Now worries, man..thanks for letting us know anyway. Have a good one..and don't work too hard.

------------------
Old 02-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #28
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Enjoy that Vacay! It's well deserved. I just got done playing a Bluegrass festival in Indiana so that was vacation for me. Plus I heard so many fiddle tunes that it's probably electronic music only for the next several weeks.

------------------
Old 04-06-2015, 12:26 AM   #29
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

So far, this is what I've got.

Lots of CR-78 samples, random other samples I've made, a handful I've dug. Making samples like whoa. Must use vocals, lots of vocals....my vocals. It's on. Only using patches I've made in the Blofeld. Oh yeah, I'm primarily using hardware - TX81Z, R8M samples, Blofeld, MPC1000, VoiceLive Touch 2, and my LittleBits creations must make an appearance as well.

If I finish two or three tracks and get them posted in time I'll be happy.

------------------
Thanks to JMagee
A.M (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 10:31 AM   #30
A.M

Same here..I'm not really that interested in how much I produce for this..more a case of focusing on the quality of sound this time round. I feel like I've reached one of those fabled plateaus, where you feel like your work needs to be brought up a level from where it currently stands, though you may not know exactly just how to do that.

I guess this is going to be a bit of a learning experience for me in a very real way, as I know the kind of sound I'm aiming for, but I'm not too sure of how to get it..so it will be a case of trial and error for the next month or so.

As for the style..it's obviously going to be ambient in nature, though I intend playing with different styles in that department, too. Got one rough first track done so far..not finished by any standards, but like I said, it's all about the sound this time round for me. Anyway, here's the benchmark track, as I call it..nothing groundbreaking or impressive, just a snapshot of what comes out of a standard first, fast mix..

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

From here on I'll be attempting to build on the sound and production quality, and hopefully there will be a marked improvement by the time we finish this challenge. Well, that's the plan anyway.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
JMagee (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #31
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Shit! I should post the rough deal I bounced out last night. I have recently moved all my gear home from a studio spot I was trying to get going with a friend. After a year of an extremely haphazard work schedule I'm back to having my gear in front of me. Monitoring all my gear through the Saffire 40 and I finally realized why the loopback function is awesome - you can print your monitor mix. So I can get ghetto mixes just from playback!

I feel you on the refining a sound tip - I'm in a similar situation. I'm trying to get at something more signature while being unique. Pretty cliche, eh? But here at the house I have my TEAC 3340 so we'll see what tape does to this whole situation.

------------------
Thanks to JMagee
A.M (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #32
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagee View Post
Shit! I should post the rough deal I bounced out last night. I have recently moved all my gear home from a studio spot I was trying to get going with a friend. After a year of an extremely haphazard work schedule I'm back to having my gear in front of me. Monitoring all my gear through the Saffire 40 and I finally realized why the loopback function is awesome - you can print your monitor mix. So I can get ghetto mixes just from playback!

I feel you on the refining a sound tip - I'm in a similar situation. I'm trying to get at something more signature while being unique. Pretty cliche, eh? But here at the house I have my TEAC 3340 so we'll see what tape does to this whole situation.
Nah..I don't think it's cliché at all..also not always that easy to achieve either..unfortunately .

It's a bit of a thin line trying to hammer down your own sound, as there will always be the obvious musical influences you've been exposed to over the years..as well as the down-right "I wish I could sound like so-and-so" phases some of us tend to go through..and, even though you can come away from them having learned a few useful things, in the end I, personally, tend to end up with a bit of a hollow feeling inside, knowing I can replicate something pretty near to the original, but it's still not "my" sound.

The trouble with me is I've always wanted to do "Vangelis" style stuff..but in order to do that, you tend to need to fall back on certain sounds and synths, which the guy has made his own..so no matter what your finished track sounds like, it's always going to remind others of his stuff.

While that's not totally a bad thing, it's not really all that helpful if you want to develop your own style of sound..and that's what I'm currently faced with..tweaking what I do now enough so that it sounds more original and less of an imitation of..or tribute to..the work of somebody else.

Tbh, I'm not really sure about how to go about approaching this, apart from simple trial and error.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
JMagee (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #33
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Amen to that @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I know that since started only using patches in my synths that I've made I've gotten to sounds that I just identify with more out the gate; a lot less preset tweaking and whole lot more preset making. Also only using sounds that I've sampled. Most of my samples (even if I pull out the soft-sampler) are recorded through the MPC1000. I love the 1000 for sampling sources because I get a clean sound and the preamp is in stereo. I don't know of any interfaces with pres that will give a stereo setup....so the MPC1000 is kind of fool proof in that regard.

But then mixing, there's a completely other way to shape your sounds. But we'll be posting our explorations together!

------------------
Old 09-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #34
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537330
Thanked 6,928 Times in 4,932 Posts

I'm thinking of jumping back on this horse.

I've again become tired of the endless tweaking. Thinking perhaps this is a good excuse to leave things with some frayed edges.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #35
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

I'm in. So excited to have the summer off and able to focus on music. I have an interface/cable/monitor issue. Only one side is working. After my class today I am stopping at Guitar Center to see if they can check it out for me. Hopefully I will be up and running this evening. First remix for Vlantis and then I will work on some tracks for QAWM.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
A.M (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #36
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
I'm in. So excited to have the summer off and able to focus on music. I have an interface/cable/monitor issue. Only one side is working. After my class today I am stopping at Guitar Center to see if they can check it out for me. Hopefully I will be up and running this evening. First remix for Vlantis and then I will work on some tracks for QAWM.
If it were me I'd do some checks myself before I went to a big box store for help. Have you tried swapping just the speakers? Just the cables? That would tell you pretty quick where your problem is.

At the least I'd ask them if you are going to be charged for anything before you hand over your gear.

------------------
Old 10-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #37
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
- I just got an Octopre so 8 more channels for me!

Oh yeah, and all my outputs still work....

hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate

JK BRUH. But I did get an Octopre.

------------------
Thanks to JMagee
A.M (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 03:04 PM   #38
A.M

So how are we running this, guys? How often should we post updated files for review..or are we just going to post updates here for the duration of this challenge and then post the finished tracks at the end?

Just asking as I'm not too sure on how we're doing it this time round?

Or do we even need to structure it like that?

Any thoughts?

------------------
Old 10-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #39
A.M

Personally, I haven't done as much as I had hoped I would have by now. I've got a few tracks sketched out and I'm pretty sure I'll have a full album's worth by the time we finish, but for the last few days my time has been taken up with overhauling my system, trying to free up space..both physically and virtually..for the KOMPLETE KONTROL S61 and KOMPLETE 10 ULTIMATE that are due to arrive any day..and it's a real bloody nightmare!

Here's a quick screen-grab of the VSTs I currently have installed..

Yeah..I know..it's too many and I never use most of them. I REALLY have to get into the habit of uninstalling shit once I've checked it out an know I'm not going to use it again.

Anyways..that's where my head is at right now..stuff just needs to be done..but man, it's SO boring!

By the way, for the record, if you have "A-Kit" from Beat Assist installed and are thinking of removing it..be careful! I used Revo Uninstaller to remove it and it asked me if I wanted to delete every other VST I had installed. I've never run into this before..and, in all honesty, I don't know if it was the fault of A-Kit..but I just thought I'd mention it, as I very nearly wiped every VST off my system.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
relic (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #40
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

^That's wild dude! I usually don't uninstall VSTs. FL Studio allows you to choose which ones pop up in the menu, so I just keep that pretty spartan these days, but keep everything installed in case I want it.

I'm good with a double-JAWM honestly if the album writing month project really just because something like a motivational group through the better part of the year that would be cool with me.

So far this summer I've been super guilty of wasting days getting up super late (noon), putting around the house doing enough little chores not to get yelled at and watching netflix on the iPad while I surf the net on my laptop waiting for an early cocktail hour. Rather pathetic really.

Advertisements

------------------