[Dance Music] Patient Swim - The Belgian Look 30/05/16
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf's User Releases Post your official releases here. Works in progress and promo spam will be removed.

Old 30-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282984
Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,756 Posts
[Dance Music] Patient Swim - The Belgian Look 30/05/16

Hey, I haven't been around recently but I figured I earned the right to spam my shiz here through years of northern shit posting!

so here I am doing it:

I think all of these tracks have been in the listening booth at some point, definitely 4 of them anyway, so thanks to everybody that helped me work out how to make these! one track is 4 years old and another 3 years old... don't ask me how... but I'm making a lot atm and excited for the future. thanks to anybody that listens, please let me know if you have any thoughts!

Advertisements

FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
Aurongroove
Soundscaper
Aurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond repute
West of Ireland
MC Status: 3010
Re: [Dance Music] Patient Swim - The Belgian Look 30/05/16

This stuff is awesome,
I won't go into mix and production postmortem because this is "finished and released stuff", and mostly it's all passable anyways to the fact that the music itself is so off the wall (edit#2. and even gets some pretty delicious textures going too man, Turn ip Diff Pan is some tasty shit) .

I don't know wither the EP is more fucked up then it is funky, or more funky then it is fucked up, but it just works as something that is consistently great and interesting to listen too. (which is like the main goal anyways)

Totally downloading this.

Edit#1. I don't want to be dishonest, so I gotta retract my 'postmortem' statement and add yes the mixing can be downright iffy in places. I though it was mostly forgivable, but then I reached the 2 minute mark on 'Windmill Heat', and no, the mix and production here is just too ropey.
It goes passed the threshold of "refreshingly feckless" and it let's down what could have been a real moment in the EP. 2:03 onward sounds like "a midi karaoke blueprint" of what should have been a better piece of music.

To balance that sour note, I must stress how good this is musically, and in general. I love the spontaneous energy it captures, and 'most' of the EP has a kind of happy-go-lucky-ish production that suits the musical exploration.
Just, mind you keep an objective ear on sound quality, or, ask someone else to mix and/or master your stuff (i.e., for the benefit of having an objective agent). I'd be delighted if I were handed stuff this creative to process.

Looking forward to hearing the stuff your "making a lot of atm".

Last edited by Aurongroove; 01-06-2016 at 08:44 PM..

------------------
a big Unregistered fan

Aurongroove is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurongroove View Post
This stuff is awesome,
I won't go into mix and production postmortem because this is "finished and released stuff", and mostly it's all passable anyways to the fact that the music itself is so off the wall (edit#2. and even gets some pretty delicious textures going too man, Turn ip Diff Pan is some tasty shit) .

I don't know wither the EP is more fucked up then it is funky, or more funky then it is fucked up, but it just works as something that is consistently great and interesting to listen too. (which is like the main goal anyways)

Totally downloading this.

Edit#1. I don't want to be dishonest, so I gotta retract my 'postmortem' statement and add yes the mixing can be downright iffy in places. I though it was mostly forgivable, but then I reached the 2 minute mark on 'Windmill Heat', and no, the mix and production here is just too ropey.
It goes passed the threshold of "refreshingly feckless" and it let's down what could have been a real moment in the EP. 2:03 onward sounds like "a midi karaoke blueprint" of what should have been a better piece of music.

To balance that sour note, I must stress how good this is musically, and in general. I love the spontaneous energy it captures, and 'most' of the EP has a kind of happy-go-lucky-ish production that suits the musical exploration.
Just, mind you keep an objective ear on sound quality, or, ask someone else to mix and/or master your stuff (i.e., for the benefit of having an objective agent). I'd be delighted if I were handed stuff this creative to process.

Looking forward to hearing the stuff your "making a lot of atm".
hey man, this is absolutely awesome feedback thank you
I'm glad you Edited and told me what I needed to know.

Honestly I am in my own little bubble when it comes to the music I'm making these days. I have very little self awareness with my stuff and I'm often very surprised with peoples thoughts, especially on the amount of fucked upness because I always think its way more accessible than it is

theres a few factors that might be contributing to the mix problems and honestly, due to the self awareness thing, I don't know which one it really is or to what extent they are affecting the outcome.

for a start windmill heat in particular is made up of heaps of different samples from very questionable sources, and a few of the synth sounds are looped samples of a single note in abletons sampler. in particular the melodic samples in turn ip diff pan are just the single worst quality of anything ive ever sampled.

secondly all of these tracks were made on a computer that could barely handle any stuff going on and ive had to go back and try and re mix stuff. I feel that now ive got a new computer everything sounds a lot better because I can make everything work a lot better as I go.

thirdly I have extremely bad tinnitus/ear damage that gets worse year on year and I really struggle to tell whats going on. I regularly change an effect and cant tell which one I like more/sounds better in the mix. i recently found out one of my speakers was turned up quite a bit more than the other and i couldn't even tell. might've been like that for more than 6 months. I always made music on these 90s Yamaha computer speakers with a sub and as soon as I got monitors I haven't been able to tell wtf I'm doing

number four I haven't got a clue what I'm doing I basically didn't master these at all because I really don't know what I'm doing. I cant tell whats right or wrong with my ears any more and I'm not gonna just make decisions that 2 weeks after I put it out I realise is all wrong.

number 5. I own zero decent plugins. I use all native stuff and my synths are pretty much analog in ableton and synth1. I don't for a second think my shit would sound like god cum if I had fancy plugins but I think this could be quite a factor too

I'm hoping that the karaoke midi comment is because of a difference in preference in sound design. windmill heat is actually one of the best songs I have ever made and ive made a shit ton of music I'm proud of that's really saying something! so the sound design is just how I like it so please tell me its the preference thing haha

how about I pay you to mix my next EP?

you didn't ask for a list of excuses but due to being really worried about my ears and not knowing how fucked they are. not knowing the root to my problems, where to move forward with my setup etc I thought id lay them out for you.

really really appreciate your great feedback man, thank you for listening. call mee

EDIT: ooh ooh and btw the piano loop in windmill heat is badly distorted from the source its not some fuck up I did. I chose that sample because the clipping sounded awesome on heavy bass notes and I never ended up using any of those parts in the track like a dick

Last edited by FunkMasterBrown; 01-06-2016 at 10:15 PM..

------------------
Old 02-06-2016, 02:46 AM   #4
Mrs Dink
Analog Lurker
Mrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant future
Washington State
MC Status: 1860

Cool stuff! I'm really digging Turn Ip Diff Pan, that's a catchy track! I can't really help too much on the mixing and mastering (I struggle myself, I too have tinnitus), but the groove is good.
Mrs Dink is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:55 AM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562330
Thanked 7,428 Times in 5,250 Posts

I will defo download this at work tomorrow and listen in the way home!

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:00 AM   #6
Aurongroove
Soundscaper
Aurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond repute
West of Ireland

Sorry to hear about your tinnitus problems, there's no cure for that stuff; Humans are one of the animals kingdoms that cannot repair damage done to the organ of corti (look at me quoting ear biology)

There is a cure for poor monitoring set ups through, the cheapest option I've found is if you just get an unbelievable good pair of (preferably 'open back') monitoring headphones. It's certainly cheaper then "OK" professional Monitors plus acoustic room treatment (and better monitoring set up as well IMO).

Quote:
Nah dude, if I do something for you, It'll be for free and for the enjoyment of it. When money passes hands there are certain obligations that go with it (deadlines etc) and I'd like to keep at least one part of m life cash free for the time being. I'll just do your new stuff for free and you can help me by telling me what your hopes and "ideas" for the sound is.

I got some news today (kinda why I'm drunk) that might be life changing, musically, so I kinda hit the beer a little hard, but the point being, I'd rather keep my electronic stuff as my stress relief rather then adding to the big pile of jobs I got to get done. But I'm flattered by the offer and I'm actually not that good, I just like to be honest about what I hear and help when I can.

------------------
a big Unregistered fan

Old 02-06-2016, 04:07 AM   #7
Aurongroove
Soundscaper
West of Ireland

Sorry to hear about your tinnitus problems, there's no cure for that stuff; Humans are one of the animals kingdoms that cannot repair damage done to the organ of corti (look at me quoting ear biology)

There is a cure for poor monitoring set ups through, the cheapest option I've found is if you just get an unbelievable good pair of (preferably 'open back') monitoring headphones. It's certainly cheaper and better then "OK" expensive close field monitors plus acoustic room treatment (and better monitoring set up as well IMO).

Quote:
Nah dude, if I do something for you, It'll be for free and for the enjoyment of it. When money passes hands there are certain obligations that go with it (deadlines etc) and I'd like to keep at least one part of my life cash free for the time being. I'll just do your new stuff for free and you can help me by telling me what your hopes and "ideas" for the sound is.

I got some news today (kinda why I'm drunk) that might be life changing, musically, so I kinda hit the beer a little hard, but the point being, I'd rather keep my electronic stuff as my stress relief rather then adding to the big pile of jobs I've got to get done. But I'm flattered by the offer and I'm actually not that good, I just like to be honest about what I hear and help when I can.

------------------
a big Unregistered fan

Old 02-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562330
Thanked 7,428 Times in 5,250 Posts

listening at work...gotta say man...these tracks are beautiful...

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:36 PM   #9
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744041041
Thanked 7,472 Times in 4,627 Posts

Listening now.

Edit: Yeah, not my thing really but not a bad listen at all man. Well done. It seemed like a nice cohesive EP of tunes. I did turn the bass end down slightly about halfway through the last track, only for it to seem to creep back up on it's own...
but yeah, you've explained all that already.
I listened to that one from your sig the other day too...Windmill Heat...the piano sample reminded me of something Luke Vibert would've used and it brought a smile to my face.

Give me a shout when you have some stuff you want mixing if Aurongroove is not available or whatever.

Last edited by lolirl; 02-06-2016 at 09:02 PM..
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #10
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurongroove View Post

There is a cure for poor monitoring set ups through, the cheapest option I've found is if you just get an unbelievable good pair of (preferably 'open back') monitoring headphones. It's certainly cheaper then "OK" professional Monitors plus acoustic room treatment (and better monitoring set up as well IMO).

Nah dude, if I do something for you, It'll be for free and for the enjoyment of it. When money passes hands there are certain obligations that go with it (deadlines etc) and I'd like to keep at least one part of m life cash free for the time being. I'll just do your new stuff for free and you can help me by telling me what your hopes and "ideas" for the sound is.

I got some news today (kinda why I'm drunk) that might be life changing, musically, so I kinda hit the beer a little hard, but the point being, I'd rather keep my electronic stuff as my stress relief rather then adding to the big pile of jobs I got to get done. But I'm flattered by the offer and I'm actually not that good, I just like to be honest about what I hear and help when I can.
man I really like your honesty about stuff. for a few reasons id like to pay somebody to do it but closer to the time (end of june maybe) ill assess my position and ill definitely send you a message to see what youre saying. thanks very much for your time in this thread and the best of luck on the potentially life changing news being forum drunk is definitely something I can relate to cheers

------------------
Old 03-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #11
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Listening now.

Edit: Yeah, not my thing really but not a bad listen at all man. Well done. It seemed like a nice cohesive EP of tunes. I did turn the bass end down slightly about halfway through the last track, only for it to seem to creep back up on it's own...
but yeah, you've explained all that already.
I listened to that one from your sig the other day too...Windmill Heat...the piano sample reminded me of something Luke Vibert would've used and it brought a smile to my face.

Give me a shout when you have some stuff you want mixing if Aurongroove is not available or whatever.
I dunno man the last track doesn't even have a bass line its just kicks. there is a point where the kicks become more rapid and maybe the way that the compressor settings are get fucked by it but turning the bass up or down in the middle of a track surely isn't gonna give you the best picture overall of the issues? I just don't know (that's the point I guess)

thank you mate I will have a think about stuff when it gets to it

------------------
Old 03-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #12
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

aaand just like that its up on Spotify now

all I want for the stuff I'm doing atm is for some nice art work, for it to sound ok and for it to be around online for at least the next 10 years so I can look back and enjoy the music I made at this time. its shit if I'm gonna be looking back constantly thinking the bass is wank etc

I never want to show people the music I'm putting out because its never as good as the music I'm making at that time. I want that to end and always be proud of what I did.

fucked that up here didn't I

------------------
Old 03-06-2016, 07:40 PM   #13
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744041041
Thanked 7,472 Times in 4,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
I dunno man the last track doesn't even have a bass line its just kicks. there is a point where the kicks become more rapid and maybe the way that the compressor settings are get fucked by it but turning the bass up or down in the middle of a track surely isn't gonna give you the best picture overall of the issues? I just don't know (that's the point I guess)

thank you mate I will have a think about stuff when it gets to it
It was the last track and the kick was starting to do my (and others) heads in about halfway through, so I rolled off some bass to stop the ceiling rumbling downstairs is all, then like I said a few minutes later I noticed myself going for a bit more of a roll off automatically. I dunno it could be a psycho-acoustic effect. I Not a huge deal, just something I noticed, I thought I'd pass it on while we're being all honest and that yeah?
Cool.
Have a good weekend dude.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #14
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

soz about your head and ceiling mate

cool

Advertisements

------------------