Getting some gear on a budget
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 22-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Artifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond repute
Fredericton
MC Status: 3460
Getting some gear on a budget

Alright, so I am currently without an external soundcard or audio interface (and my onboard sound device sucks), and without a proper microphone. So, my question is, what would be the best way to spend my money? I'm on a strict budget (like, no more than $300-$500 maximum). The microphone would be used almost exclusively for vocals, so I want something with good sound quality, and any interface or soundcard I get would have to be USB compatible. I only ask because, looking around at my local shops, there's no way in hell I can get both and stay within my budget, so I'll have to order it online or something, and there's just too much shit out there.

Advertisements

------------------
Artifiseer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Delinquent Dialect
Sample Destroyer
Delinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MC
Unregistered's music is self indulgent nonesense!
MC Status: 25172146
Re: Getting some gear on a budget

Give up, try a different hobby - life just aint dealing you this card right now.

You'll have to wait it out saving your pennies like everyone else.

------------------
<< dont listen >>
if ( mind == open ) {""}
Latest vinyl "Purging the Pious" EP from Earwiggle Records https://www.facebook.com/earwigglelabel
Delinquent Dialect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

Look into a Focusrite Scarlett series for an audio interface. Possibly also MOTU. You'll need something w/ a preamp for the mic unless you have a mic pre already. For the mic itself I know nothing about them.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Artifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond repute
Fredericton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delinquent Dialect View Post
Give up, try a different hobby - life just aint dealing you this card right now.

You'll have to wait it out saving your pennies like everyone else.
Thanks, I really, really appreciate useless, condescending answers that don't address the original question at all. Please continue to post gold such as this and, by all means, do NOT smarten up and get your head out of your ass. (This is why I shouldn't reply to threads at 3 am, I tend to be an asshole around this time.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic
Look into a Focusrite Scarlett series for an audio interface. Possibly also MOTU. You'll need something w/ a preamp for the mic unless you have a mic pre already. For the mic itself I know nothing about them.
I was thinking that might be my best bet as well. The local Long & McQuade has a few in stock, price isn't as bad as I thought it would be either, so it's looking like that's what I'll be going for . As far as mics go, I'll probably pick up whatever I can afford. I figure any mic is better than none.

------------------
Old 23-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifiseer View Post
Thanks, I really, really appreciate useless, condescending answers that don't address the original question at all. Please continue to post gold such as this and, by all means, do NOT smarten up and get your head out of your ass. (This is why I shouldn't reply to threads at 3 am, I tend to be an asshole around this time.)

I was thinking that might be my best bet as well. The local Long & McQuade has a few in stock, price isn't as bad as I thought it would be either, so it's looking like that's what I'll be going for . As far as mics go, I'll probably pick up whatever I can afford. I figure any mic is better than none.
I've not owned a Focusrite, but a lot of people seem to like them. I've heard people recommend Mics around 100 dollars.

Also, you telling off that other guy...he totally deserved it.

------------------
Old 23-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

Do you have a pair of headphones? One ear of any pair of headphones will also send a signal back - so, you can use the headphones to record vocals. I used to do this when I couldn't afford a mic. Sounds totally lo-fi, but you can use it as an effect. I've also cheap mics I've gotten at places like Radioshack, for about $10-20 to record vocals. So long as you utilize a cheap mic as a style, or an effect, it'll sound good.

For an auidio interface, look into picking up an EMU 0404. Pretty sure you can get one for under $200, and they work great. I've recorded multiple albums on mine before recently upgrading.

With these two suggestions, you could have ~$300 left over for a small MIDI controller, and a copy of Reaper.

I'm all about working with a budget, and using what you have, slowly building up, and learning as you go.
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Fredericton

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
Do you have a pair of headphones? One ear of any pair of headphones will also send a signal back - so, you can use the headphones to record vocals. I used to do this when I couldn't afford a mic. Sounds totally lo-fi, but you can use it as an effect. I've also cheap mics I've gotten at places like Radioshack, for about $10-20 to record vocals. So long as you utilize a cheap mic as a style, or an effect, it'll sound good.

For an auidio interface, look into picking up an EMU 0404. Pretty sure you can get one for under $200, and they work great. I've recorded multiple albums on mine before recently upgrading.

With these two suggestions, you could have ~$300 left over for a small MIDI controller, and a copy of Reaper.

I'm all about working with a budget, and using what you have, slowly building up, and learning as you go.
I've got a half decent pair of headphones, a nice MIDI keyboard, and all the software I need, I'm just looking to step it up a bit with a mic and an interface. Yeah, a fairly cheap mic would really be all I need, because I like to manipulate vocals (or anything "real" that I record, for that matter) a LOT.

Hard to believe that I've been at this for 4 years and haven't even touched upon mics or interfaces until now lol .

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic
Also, you telling off that other guy...he totally deserved it.
I thought so too haha

------------------
Old 23-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

Buy used. M-audio Fast Track, Shure SM58 (or ADK A-51 +stand+popkiller+XLR cable...and possibly an Art Tube MP preamp). You will also need closed headphones. One of my music production students had this when he was just starting out and it worked fine (until he got better gear/economics).
Not sure you will get within your budget though.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Delinquent Dialect
Sample Destroyer
Delinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MC

Quote:
I only ask because, looking around at my local shops, there's no way in hell I can get both and stay within my budget,

Save your pennies isnt addressing the question!?

You just asked in a nutshell 'how can I buy what I cant afford' - there are only two sensible answers to this question; 'Save your money' or 'buy second hand'. Such a question dosnt even deserve a thread, its pure common sense.

Last edited by Delinquent Dialect; 23-09-2012 at 02:46 PM..

------------------
<< dont listen >>
if ( mind == open ) {""}
Latest vinyl "Purging the Pious" EP from Earwiggle Records https://www.facebook.com/earwigglelabel
Old 23-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Fredericton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delinquent Dialect View Post
Save your pennies isnt addressing the question!?

You just asked in a nutshell 'how can I buy what I cant afford' - there are only two sensible answers to this question; 'Save your money' or 'buy second hand'. Such a question dosnt even deserve a thread, its pure common sense.
Actually, upon further investigation, I can get both well within my budget. I was merely looking for specific products that would be worth checking out. Sorry if you don't think a forum is a place for asking such questions.

I was referring to the beginning of your post being useless and not addressing the question. Telling someone to "give up, find a new hobby" isn't much of a help to anyone, and being a semi-professional musician and audio engineer, I found it quite offensive. I don't enjoy being talked down to by people that have no business doing so... sue me.

To everyone who offered REAL advice, thank you. I'm thinking I'm just gonna pick up a Focusrite Scarlett and an AT2035, I can get both for about $450 total at a local shop.

------------------
Old 23-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Buy used. M-audio Fast Track, Shure SM58 (or ADK A-51 +stand+popkiller+XLR cable...and possibly an Art Tube MP preamp). You will also need closed headphones. One of my music production students had this when he was just starting out and it worked fine (until he got better gear/economics).
Not sure you will get within your budget though.
Yea. Forgot this. Def. buy used! I've stopped buying new in the past year, haven't regretted it yet! Got some stellar deals on eBay.

------------------
Old 23-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Fredericton

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Yea. Forgot this. Def. buy used! I've stopped buying new in the past year, haven't regretted it yet! Got some stellar deals on eBay.
I might look into that, to try and save a few bucks. Still gotta eat after all

------------------
Old 23-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

Or, if zZounds.com sells to your location, use their pay as you play program.

That's how I get a lot of my new gear. I basically budget ~$200 a month for hardware and pay stuff off. Every four months or so, I'm able to get something new if I need/want it.
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
Or, if zZounds.com sells to your location, use their pay as you play program.

That's how I get a lot of my new gear. I basically budget ~$200 a month for hardware and pay stuff off. Every four months or so, I'm able to get something new if I need/want it.
Do they approve everyone for that shit though? I tried to do something like that through Sweetwater and didn't get approved. :/

------------------
Old 23-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
Delinquent Dialect
Sample Destroyer

Quote:

I was referring to the beginning of your post being useless and not addressing the question. Telling someone to "give up, find a new hobby" isn't much of a help to anyone, and being a semi-professional musician and audio engineer, I found it quite offensive. I don't enjoy being talked down to by people that have no business doing so... sue me.
Oh I'm sorry, I didnt realise you were a professional - my bad.

------------------
<< dont listen >>
if ( mind == open ) {""}
Old 02-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #16
drneroli
Minor Glitch
drneroli is currently spamming hard
Manchester
MC Status: 10

I'm still at the "argh, I have no money" stage myself. I just have a cheap tiny casio synth that I feed through the effects VSTs on my laptop to make nutter sounds. You know, as you do. I'll get some more gear eventually, of course, just keep and eye out in the second hand shops. I found a spiffing synth in one once for 2.

Advertisements

drneroli is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote