Call and Response mixing
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 18-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
three-knots
Analog Lurker
three-knots will become famous soon enoughthree-knots will become famous soon enough
Stonehaven
MC Status: 110
Call and Response mixing

I'm currently working on a dub step styled tune that is utilising 'call and response' style bass lines, where a main bass line is interweaving with other glitchy noises at different beats in the bar and these are all on seperate tracks. I'm happy with the sounds im using but not how they sound.

Would anyone have any advice as to how to help these tracks interweave and mix to sound as if they're gelling? I've tried keeping all volumes relatively similar and nothing to in your face or contrasting, but I was wondering if anyone had any neat tricks or tips to helping the sounds flow?

Advertisements

three-knots is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Benwaa
Re: Call and Response mixing

you're using ableton live right? group the tracks together and use some mild compression on the "group" track to glue them together more
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
calypsoB
calypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improve
MC Status: -12411435

I agree, the best way to "Gel" is always compression on group tracks. I know this is not the same genre at all but I heard this song on the radio the other day and I was like damn you can hear some heavy compression on this track used to balance billy corgans voice with the guitar, drums, and bass. Perfect example of gelling
calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538

You could try multi-band compression on the bass bus. It'll keep certain frequencies from poking out too much.

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

If you're willing to put down a little cash, Sausage Fattener is an awesome plugin. I feel like I'm cheating when I use it because its so simple and so handy. Obviously there are other ways to get the same effect but its a quick and easy solution.
You might also want to try a bit of distortion on the bus, I've had some luck with that, really short delays can work well too.
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
mimicry
Deep Underground
mimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MC
MC Status: 6715879

Call and response would suggest the sounds are mostly playing one at a time?

Group + effects. Not just compression, but overdrive, reverb, cab sim etc.

Advertisements

------------------

Mimicry - Felt Like Walking:
mimicry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote