Any good books on... everything?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 30-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
kitabunny
Learning The Ropes
kitabunny is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Any good books on... everything?

Hi everyone!
I'm really glad I found this forum, looks like I have a lot to learn from you guys.
My story...
I'm working on a low budget independent animation film and since I'm the only one with a musical background, I'll be in charge with the sound editing, sound design, foley, mixing and mastering, recording and scoring.
I do not have Any experience regarding these matters. I play guitar and, now and then, I write some music but that's about it. If you know any good books on any of these subjects, I'd be really grateful.

Thank you!
May inspiration strike y'all!

Advertisements

kitabunny is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts
Re: Any good books on... everything?

Holy crap! Don't forget to mention that in your auto-biography once you are rich and famous, many years from now.

There is no "all answers in one book" afaik. You need interest, time, endurance, talent, patience, willpower, etc. A bandmate of mine (who runs a studio and have experience) said "ok" to do the foley, ADR, VO, mixing, etc etc on a full length movie, shot locally here in Sweden. He shared the burden with another fellow, but it almost crushed them. It was soo much work that the film dragged on two years past the initial release date.

I'm not trying to scare you. Just drawing from the fact that it's helluva lot of work, even more for someone who doesn't know what he is doing.
But if you feel like you could pull it off, then god spede you!

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
kitabunny
Learning The Ropes
kitabunny is currently spamming hard

No, I wasn't asking for one book to rule them all! I just want good books on any of these subjects. I found a very useful guide on mixing on this forum, for example, and I'm reading several other books, but I think I need more, nevertheless.
Time isn't such a big problem since the animation itself is going to take a couple of years at minimum. I wonder if I could start doing some work while we're in production.
At the moment, we're recording the voices with the actors and I'm trying to read and get as much information as I can.
kitabunny is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
harpeer
Regular Freak
harpeer is currently spamming hard

Just to toss in an idea. Any music, broadway exetera, in midi format that you can associate with your production can be manipulated to sound original but keep the same spirit. Maybe people might appreciate having it sound familiar somehow for it, but can't really pin it down to something else.

Not talking about how robot chicken did 'yellow submarine', that suked!

Last edited by harpeer; 07-02-2013 at 02:23 AM..
harpeer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
carlgrace
carlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MCcarlgrace is a savage MC
San Francisco
MC Status: 14069

Best book I ever read on mixing was "Mixing Secrets of the Small Studio" by Mike Senior. Changed my life.

Advertisements

------------------
Retro 80s synthpop. Time Marches On.

http://pacificdeep.bandcamp.com
carlgrace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to carlgrace
Effulgence (29-04-2013)