Why do some people hate electronic music?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements


Techno Techno Techno Techno Techno

Reply
Go Back » Music By Genre » Techno
Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
musicslife66
Analog Lurker
musicslife66 is a savage MCmusicslife66 is a savage MCmusicslife66 is a savage MCmusicslife66 is a savage MCmusicslife66 is a savage MCmusicslife66 is a savage MCmusicslife66 is a savage MCmusicslife66 is a savage MCmusicslife66 is a savage MCmusicslife66 is a savage MCmusicslife66 is a savage MC
USA
Posts: 90
MC Status: 165875
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why do some people hate electronic music?

i just wanna know why it pisses me off...please share stories about close minded people if you want

Advertisements


------------------
Albert
musicslife66 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Tanzwut
Regular Freak
Tanzwut will become famous soon enough
Posts: 10
MC Status: 68
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: why do people hate electronic music

Because people hate what they don't like, EDM fails easily into the category with people. Also its rep with drugs has done no good for it. People assume that you need drugs to enjoy the music, which is untrue. However beyond this, the music is different.

· It is purely instrumental most of the time, bar pop EDM (people like singing).
· There is a lot of repetition, which people can't understand (even though most songs by bands are repetitive cords and chorus-verse structure)
· The fact the music is electronically generated and not 'natural' sounds which generated more rich analogue waves of stringe being strum. Etc…


I think that these are three main reasons for peoples hate towards it, there is more you could list if you wanted too. However I generally feel sorry for them because they can’t appreciate this other aspect of music, while I still enjoy listening to a band or singer.

I like to view EDM as music with out a soul (this doesn’t mean is cant be beautiful), pure rhythm, sound and all human influences removed. It is music in its purist form. While bands and classical music is filled with human aspects, through lyrics or playing and instruments. When this is done manually you have a bit of humanity thrown into what you are listening to.
Tanzwut is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
tres2b
Learning The Ropes
tres2b will become famous soon enough
tres2b's Avatar
Toronto
Posts: 2
MC Status: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: why do people hate electronic music

Its not properly understood by the masses.
tres2b is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to tres2b
Nystagmus (17-08-2014)
Old 24-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Automageddon's Avatar
Less kids, more synths.
Age: 38
Posts: 9,575
MC Status: 269452058
Thanks: 982
Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,742 Posts
Re: why do people hate electronic music

Do people really hate electronic music?
really?
Look at the charts, 90% of the music is more or less electronic.
Is this still relevant today?

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Anodyne Industries
Anodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MC
Anodyne Industries's Avatar
Oakland, CA
Posts: 617
MC Status: 53565178
Thanks: 7
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: why do people hate electronic music

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indus...05323752.story
Anodyne Industries is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #6
Tanzwut
Regular Freak
Tanzwut will become famous soon enough
Posts: 10
MC Status: 68
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: why do people hate electronic music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Do people really hate electronic music?
really?
Look at the charts, 90% of the music is more or less electronic.
Is this still relevant today?
good point, however the people that listen to this kind of music will not be open to the vast majority of music with genres of EDM. if you met someone that was like "i like the X commercial EDM track" and you like some of the genre and tried to show them other aspects to it, rather than easily accessible tunes. a majority would be turned of by it. A lot of my friends who dont like EDM, but i know some tracks that they do enjoy. Doesn't mean that they embrace electronic music as a whole.
Tanzwut is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #7
Narcofunk
Bad, Bad Cunt
Narcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MC
Narcofunk's Avatar
In sharky waters
Posts: 3,475
MC Status: 400169760
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Re: why do people hate electronic music

Black text on dark grey oh my god.

Last edited by Narcofunk; 25-08-2011 at 01:17 AM..

------------------
Narcofunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #8
oly
IDMf Artist
oly is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MC
oly's Avatar
socialism twitter
Age: 26
Posts: 12,108
MC Status: 471670001
Thanks: 2,870
Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,661 Posts
Re: why do people hate electronic music

I don't know why it pisses you off.

Why do you insist on defining what's good to people?

I don't like power ballad bands, can't stand 'em. Does that man that they're no good? I THINK NOT.


People don't hate electronic music.
oly is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #9
Stay'n Alive
.
Stay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MC
Stay'n Alive's Avatar
I'm in my happy place...
Posts: 3,053
MC Status: 30505651
Thanks: 77
Thanked 46 Times in 40 Posts
Re: why do people hate electronic music

Well it seems that beacause we don't physically produce sound, we're not musicians.

That's the oppinion of one of my friends who's into hard rock.

She's intelligent, she knows a lot about music, but the fact that we need a DAC to hear our music seems to be a big mental barrier to some people.

I should ask her oppinion about composers who only do scores and don't play the tunes.

------------------
"Merry Christmas, or your localized Christmas equivalent"

- Penny Arcade's Tycho
Stay'n Alive is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #10
Narcofunk
Bad, Bad Cunt
Narcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MC
Narcofunk's Avatar
In sharky waters
Posts: 3,475
MC Status: 400169760
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Re: why do people hate electronic music

Or shit in her mouth and not give a fuck about what she thinks.

Also

>into hard rock

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

------------------
Narcofunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 01:53 AM   #11
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
Vlantis's Avatar
In the corn.
Age: 35
Posts: 12,997
MC Status: 421869379
Thanks: 2,713
Thanked 4,828 Times in 2,790 Posts
Re: why do people hate electronic music

How about, "Why do electronic music fans whine about people not liking electronic music so much?"


To be blunt:

It's boring: Sure, pop music is repetitive, but your AVERAGE electronic song is BEYOND this. Nothing like listening to a six minute long song with the same baseline throughout the whole thing!

It was made on a computer: It's hard to get into something knowing some geek made it in his living room.

The live shows are boring: Some dude with a computer on a stage. Fun?

It lacks melody and song structure: Your basic electonic song either falls under two categories: one is repetitive boring stuff mainly used for dancing. The other is so caught up with sounds design and technique, that it forgets that it should be listenable.

It's cold and lifeless: see the above reasons.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #12
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
Mindsweeper's Avatar
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
Age: 25
Posts: 6,627
MC Status: 262785979
Thanks: 1,007
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,769 Posts
Re: why do people hate electronic music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
Stuff
PERMABAN THIS MOTHERFUCKER




Seriously though, the most common reason I encounter for people's dislike of electronic music is the whole "It's not real music because a computer made it!!" which is funny considering how nearly all music nowadays goes through a computer at least once.

Also...

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

IT'S NOT REAL ART A COMPUTER MADE IT
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 03:08 AM   #13
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
neutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MC
neutral's Avatar
Manchester
Age: 29
Posts: 1,631
MC Status: 103011127
Thanks: 302
Thanked 387 Times in 298 Posts
Re: why do people hate electronic music

I have a friend who thinks all electronic music is made by either trendy dickheads or pretentious dickheads. He is 100% correct.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
New years day 2000 my guitar became self-aware. It kills fascists with three chords and the truth.
neutral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 03:43 AM   #14
Narcofunk
Bad, Bad Cunt
Narcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MC
Narcofunk's Avatar
In sharky waters
Posts: 3,475
MC Status: 400169760
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Re: why do people hate electronic music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
How about, "Why do electronic music fans whine about people not liking electronic music so much?"


To be blunt:

It's boring: Sure, pop music is repetitive, but your AVERAGE electronic song is BEYOND this. Nothing like listening to a six minute long song with the same baseline throughout the whole thing!

It was made on a computer: It's hard to get into something knowing some geek made it in his living room.

The live shows are boring: Some dude with a computer on a stage. Fun?

It lacks melody and song structure: Your basic electonic song either falls under two categories: one is repetitive boring stuff mainly used for dancing. The other is so caught up with sounds design and technique, that it forgets that it should be listenable.

It's cold and lifeless: see the above reasons.
You are too old for electronic music. but i agree on points 1 and 4.

------------------
Narcofunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
ModleyS
Regular Freak
ModleyS is currently spamming hard
ModleyS's Avatar
Posts: 13
MC Status: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: why do people hate electronic music

I think that they hate electronic music because is not a music likeable by the "many".It's hard,loud,repetitive and noisy.But the main thing is that it's different from the worldwide music industry "hits".The fact that most of the producers are in their rooms,stupid freaks and so on,personally i think that has two ways to see it.Someone that wants to make music,to express himself through the music he loves,the only thing that he has to do is to buy a pc.But the sad fact is,that the guy who wants to make electronic music just to say "hey man look i am a producer and a dj now i get all the chicks(etc)" the only thing he also has to do is to buy a pc

So as a result,since the producer makes the music,in electronic music you can find the tracks that make you wanna scream from pleasure,and the tracks you say : ok,and ? that's all of it ?

Finally,technology has reached at a level,that in a computer you can have instruments like piccolo,metallophone or even guitar to grand piano.Give them a timbre to sound real and there you have it,full orchestra dudes.
ModleyS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #16
Spax88
Soundscaper
Spax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MC
Spax88's Avatar
Posts: 303
MC Status: 6802622
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Re: why do people hate electronic music

I grew up in a town where non of the people I could actually talk to liked electronic based music. I played in metal bands for years and years. It didn't click with me until I heard it come out of a wall of speakers that were specifically tuned to play that sort of music. I was blown away with the complexities of the bass sounds and the clarity of the mix having put up with cheap in house speakers with poor sound engineers fucking up the live mix and making the music I'd spent so long writing sound like a massive wall of fuzz. People don't understand because EDM doesn't translate well on to your average persons hifi.

Even now when I go home, I try and make people understand but they just say 'it's not metal'. It's pretty sad really, because these people have just completely eradicated such a huge portion of the musical world. I wouldn't let the fact that you're more open minded and have more choice of things to listen to to fit your mood bother you against people being closed off and only ever sticking with what they're comfortable with. After all, those people I grew up with still play the shitty metal songs I helped them write when I was 16, at the same shitty clubs, with the same shitty sound engineers, living in the same shitty council houses with their mums. Either that or they're married with kids, then divorced with kids, and don't have any time to listen to music of any sort other than the shit pumped out of the radio whilst they work a dead end job to pay their child support.

On the other hand I left that shitty little town, moved to a vibrant city, started helping out on the music scene and actually noticing the difference my efforts make, made a hell of a lot of friends and don't miss the old country for a second.

------------------
Spax88 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #17
Stay'n Alive
.
Stay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MC
Stay'n Alive's Avatar
I'm in my happy place...
Posts: 3,053
MC Status: 30505651
Thanks: 77
Thanked 46 Times in 40 Posts
Re: why do people hate electronic music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcofunk View Post
not give a fuck about what she thinks.
For that part, yeah, of course.


Man, those material barriers are so fucking annoying...

"It's not music, it comes through a guitar amplifier"

"It's not music, it's just 3 chords"

"It's not REAL music, it's POLYPHONIC"

Would you please fuck off and appreciate are where it is?



But yeah, I agree that electronic music where it is now either is too commercial, too fake, or is just unbearably too artsy for the everyman.

Not like metal where you can start by Iron Maiden (which even my grandmother would like) and gradually develop your taste from there...

------------------
"Merry Christmas, or your localized Christmas equivalent"

- Penny Arcade's Tycho
Stay'n Alive is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
Narcofunk
Bad, Bad Cunt
Narcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MC
Narcofunk's Avatar
In sharky waters
Posts: 3,475
MC Status: 400169760
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Re: why do people hate electronic music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay'n Alive View Post
Not like metal where you can start by Iron Maiden (which even my grandmother would like) and gradually develop your taste from there...
You can start by Autechre and gradually develop your own taste from there, going through, going through Aphex Twin, Ultramarine, Tangerine Dream, Murcof, Popol Vuh, Carl Craig, Massive Attack, Labradford, Burial, Masters At Work, J Dilla, Pan Sonic, Suicide, Cluster, Flying Lotus, Boards of Canada, Black Dice, Squarepusher, Spring Heel Jack, Vangelis, Underworld, Kraftwerk, Dntel, The Orb, Jean Michel Jarre, Photek, 4hero, Drexciya, Four Tet, Prodigy, Daft Punk, Gas, Loscil, Plaid, Trentemoller, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Brian Eno, Amon Tobin, Ricardo Villalobos, Basic Channel, Giorgio Moroder, Fennesz, Vladislav Delay, DJ Shadow, Chemical Brothers, Mům, Colder, Iannis Xenakis, Isan, Kitaro, Noisia, Wumpscut, Coil, Kirlian Camera, Leftfield, Jon Hopkins... and all the others that people like Vlantis fail to acknowledge before ditching such vast area of music.

------------------
Narcofunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #19
Stay'n Alive
.
Stay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MC
Stay'n Alive's Avatar
I'm in my happy place...
Posts: 3,053
MC Status: 30505651
Thanks: 77
Thanked 46 Times in 40 Posts
Re: why do people hate electronic music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcofunk View Post
... full of fucking awesome artists...

Yeah but you don't see them on t-shits everywh..


Ah fuck it.

------------------
"Merry Christmas, or your localized Christmas equivalent"

- Penny Arcade's Tycho
Stay'n Alive is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 03:12 AM   #20
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
Vlantis's Avatar
In the corn.
Age: 35
Posts: 12,997
MC Status: 421869379
Thanks: 2,713
Thanked 4,828 Times in 2,790 Posts
Re: why do people hate electronic music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcofunk View Post
You can start by Autechre
Because Autechre is sure to grab the attention of the everyman.

They represent everything that's hated about electronic music in general: cold sterile compositions, focus on sound design instead of any sort of melody, every song is about three minutes longer than it should be.

FACT!!!

Advertisements


------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you HATE in the music? Cypherclerk The Side Room 90 13-11-2014 02:04 PM
Do people really hate massive as this forum suggests? iKlecKtic Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques 146 22-03-2013 02:57 AM
Artists/ bands that most people hate but you enjoy jimmusician Music Scene Chat 19 26-08-2012 09:59 AM
Why do people hate on FL?? wolly9595 Music Scene Chat 2 14-12-2011 04:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Electronic Music Forums

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.