Electro
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 24-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Stay'n Alive
Stay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MC
I'm in my happy place...
MC Status: 30505651
Electro

What is electro?

What are the charracteristics of that style of electronic dance music that is called "electro"?

I ask this beacause it seems to be two types of electro: the old electro, pioneered by Afrika Bambaataa's Planet Rock, which comes from electro-funk, and the modern electro, closely related to Daft Punk and Justice's Electro-House.

So yeah: what is electro?

Example tracks are welcome.

Advertisements

------------------
"Merry Christmas, or your localized Christmas equivalent"

- Penny Arcade's Tycho
Stay'n Alive is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Quiet Earth - Le Matos
Thanks to Stay'n Alive
Nystagmus (21-04-2014)
Old 01-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Yuop
Microknight
Yuop is a jewel in the roughYuop is a jewel in the roughYuop is a jewel in the roughYuop is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 336
Re: What is Electro?

Electro is electrofunk.
So, old electrofunk comes from funky, and it's characterized by "walking" bass, a bass that's not regular with kick and goes around it creating a bouncy feel.
Yuop is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Yuop
Nystagmus (21-04-2014)
Old 01-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
kindelsesh
TECHNOHEAD
kindelsesh is a savage MCkindelsesh is a savage MCkindelsesh is a savage MCkindelsesh is a savage MCkindelsesh is a savage MCkindelsesh is a savage MCkindelsesh is a savage MCkindelsesh is a savage MCkindelsesh is a savage MCkindelsesh is a savage MCkindelsesh is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 1259772

I'd call this electro

As for old electro i wouldn't know much about it, but its all about ^^ this nowadays!

------------------
kindelsesh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Halma
Knob Twiddler
Halma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond repute
For Those Who Know
MC Status: 9146

Puh, too many different styles. Maybe the most significant instruments that have been used in Electro could be the 808 and the DX-7. And of course a lot other analogue drum machines, sequencers etc.

Well I try to name a few artists: early stuff form Jean-Jacques Perrey and Dick Hyman (60s/70s), a lot of stuff from the Sovjet Union and Poland, Kraftwerk, Afrika Bambataa, Egyptian Lover, Jesse Saunders and Juan Atkins, Drexyia and Dopplereffekt (not a complete list).

Thatīs what I call electro. Daftpunk for me is Frenchhouse (thatīs what it has been called in the 90īs). I donīt like this new overcompressed Electrohouse music. For me there is no soul in it. But that doesnīt mean that itīs bad. I only donīt like it.

Old:

Not that old:

------------------
I've been doin' some thinkin',
'bout the nature of the universe,
turns out things are gettin' better,
it's just people that are getting worse (Mose Allison)
Halma is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
astroidmist
Banned
astroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MC
3 floors above you
MC Status: 13248268

props to Halma for recognizing and reminding of Drexciya and DopplerEffekt.
Although it's kind of informal and opinionated and funny, I'd recommend looking at
Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music: http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/ It's a great conceptualization of the genres and subgenres.
astroidmist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Halma
Knob Twiddler
Halma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond reputeHalma has a reputation beyond repute
For Those Who Know
MC Status: 9146

Thx kmfidm.

Forgot those 3 videos. Essentiell stuff.

And from the UK (yeah, itīs damn cheesy, but I love it).

Enjoy,
Sebastian

------------------
I've been doin' some thinkin',
'bout the nature of the universe,
turns out things are gettin' better,
it's just people that are getting worse (Mose Allison)
Halma is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
raytrace
Savage Mad Cunt
raytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MC
Éire
MC Status: 2495010

I will restrain from commenting on how fucked up what people call electro is to what it originally was, having said that though it isn't even remotely as unconnected as 'R & B' and actual 'Rhythm & Blues'...

------------------
...//:: The Horrorist - I Stand With You (Raytrace Remix) ::\\...
http://r4ytrace.tumblr.com|||||||||http://r4ytrace.tumblr.com/tagged/raytracemusic|||||||||www.soundcloud.com/raytrace
raytrace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Marklar
Ghostly
Marklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MC
Arkansas
MC Status: 8217735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay'n Alive View Post
the old electro, pioneered by Afrika Bambaataa's Planet Rock.
It really started with Kraftwerk, they called their stuff "techno" and "techno-pop" at the time, but they were really inventing electro. It was picked up in the US in the early '80s, which is when you get stuff like Planet Rock and Rockit. That kind of stuff is a big part of what got me into electronic music, I still love that old shit.

Basically, it's funk with electronic instruments. The percussion is usually artificial-sounding, and overall it doesn't have the warm soulful feel of house, it's deliberately artificial and futuristic.

Early hip-hop and techno were deeply rooted in electro. In a way, early hip-hop *was* electro, before the MCs pushed the DJs aside and made it all about them.

Electro is fucking awesome.

Last edited by Marklar; 23-05-2010 at 07:04 PM..
Marklar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
VanTek
Soundwave Mangler
VanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond repute
Kamloops, BC
MC Status: 3132

This is what I would consider to be good electro.

------------------
VanTek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
VanTek
Soundwave Mangler
VanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond reputeVanTek has a reputation beyond repute
Kamloops, BC
MC Status: 3132

damnit why the hell does every forum have to have different methods for putting videos in your comments...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_V9GYuKkww

------------------
VanTek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #11
cirric
Deep Underground
cirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MC
SF
MC Status: 7104577

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
It's not hip hop.

------------------
bandcamp | soundcloud | tumblr | twitter

Like my facebook page for a free album code.
cirric is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
Marklar
Ghostly
Marklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MC
Arkansas
MC Status: 8217735

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirric View Post

It's not hip hop.
LOL, I thought of that movie too when I read this thread.
Marklar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
Sencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MC
The Nung River
MC Status: 89279323
Thanked 1,528 Times in 1,175 Posts

Sencesor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
Sencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MC
The Nung River

I didnt see one already (oddly enough..), so way not make this THE Electro thread?

Old 11-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
Stay'n Alive
Stay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MC
I'm in my happy place...
MC Status: 30505651

Oh...

This thread has grew while I was not there!

i'm gonna listen your track suggestions now!

------------------
"Merry Christmas, or your localized Christmas equivalent"

- Penny Arcade's Tycho
Stay'n Alive is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Cybotron - Clear
Old 11-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #16
shotguns
Banned
shotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MC
MC Status: 5055099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay'n Alive View Post
What is electro?

What are the charracteristics of that style of electronic dance music that is called "electro"?

I ask this beacause it seems to be two types of electro: the old electro, pioneered by Afrika Bambaataa's Planet Rock, which comes from electro-funk, and the modern electro, closely related to Daft Punk and Justice's Electro-House.

So yeah: what is electro?

Example tracks are welcome.
Electro has always just been a buzzword. It doesn't mean anythin at all and you can bet your ass that most acts attracting that label are more about their image than their music.
shotguns is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
The Nung River

Such a sexy album...

Old 11-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #18
Anekog
Learning The Ropes
Anekog is currently spamming hard
Saint Petersburgh
MC Status: 10

Check out Gooseflesh or smth.
Anekog is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:45 AM   #19
Anodyne Industries
Anodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MC
Oakland, CA
MC Status: 53565178

Hell yeah this thread rocks! Drexciya and Anthony Rother will always hold a special place for me. I'm so sick of everyone calling everything electro nowadays when it really has so little to do with actual electro... *whimper*
Anodyne Industries is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:50 AM   #20
Anodyne Industries
Anodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MC
Oakland, CA
MC Status: 53565178

Advertisements

Anodyne Industries is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote