Mixing with subwoofer?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 05-19-2017, 01:48 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42410
Mixing with subwoofer?

I was going to explore the bottom end a bit more, sub bass to be specific, and added a Yamaha HS8s sub to my setup. (Honestly, sometimes I just crank the volume up and think a bit more oomph would be cool.)

As I pondered the practical aspect I wondered how one can make sure levels are evenly calibrated across the freq spectrum. I've got some spectrum analyzer apps on my phone and was contemplating that. The sub just arrived, so I expect that RTFM will have some tips and I also expect that same brand, same series of speakers will address some of these aspects.

But: for those of you that have setups with a subwoofer, do you have some general guidelines of what to do/not to do when it comes to adding a sub?

Room is untreated with a busy setup, so treating the room seems almost pointless.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:41 AM   #2
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8508130
Thanked 6,344 Times in 4,551 Posts
Re: Mixing with subwoofer?

Untreated room = no sub IMO

It'll make things sound loads more fun more than likely, but I'd wager it'll never translate well. If you have HS8s in a small, cluttered untreated room probably already havng low end issues. I switched to five inch monitors and never looked back and I love a big bottom end ;p

If you have a decent hi fi/entertainment system check the sub on that.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:26 AM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42410

Probably right. Just felt like it. Hope they're easily bypassed.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:17 AM   #4
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8508130
Thanked 6,344 Times in 4,551 Posts

I've thought about a sub tons of times too man! This is just one rare time logic won over GAS.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:25 AM   #5
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45936431
Thanked 5,565 Times in 3,515 Posts

Using a sub really depends on the room, the treatment or lack thereof and also the monitors you're using. With 8 inch monitors in a small to medium room, you'd probably not need a sub at all. Untreated, you're probably going to run into more problems than you solve, tbh. Subs need to be positioned where they translate best and that's not always in a convenient spot like under your desk or out of the way. Hence why many music studios will just go for bigger monitors instead of having a sub. They can work well in situations like soundscaping for films and things like that but imho, having used 8 inch monitors before...you're better off going that route than a sub. Especially if your room is smaller like a bedroom or a study.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #6
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80986880
Thanked 3,933 Times in 2,559 Posts

Thanks for speaking the voice of reason

Advertisements

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote