Eventide's BlackHole or Valhalla's VintageVerb?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:03 PM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181110
Thanked 3,622 Times in 2,701 Posts
Eventide's BlackHole or Valhalla's VintageVerb?

Just wondering if any of you have either or both of these reverb units..and if so, which one do you prefer..and why? Basically which one do you favor more out of the two?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
or [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I've been eying both now for a long time, but have never seemed to get round to getting either. I've read reviews on both and seen demos over on YouTube ( [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
), but is the big price difference really worth it?

What do you guys think? I would really appreciate some feedback / thoughts / views on this from anyone with experience with either or both programs.

Thanks

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:03 AM   #2
ALIEN SEVENTEEN
Knob Twiddler
ALIEN SEVENTEEN has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN SEVENTEEN has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN SEVENTEEN has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN SEVENTEEN has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN SEVENTEEN has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN SEVENTEEN has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN SEVENTEEN has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN SEVENTEEN has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN SEVENTEEN has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN SEVENTEEN has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN SEVENTEEN has a reputation beyond repute
Forbidden Planet X
MC Status: 3860
Re: Eventide's BlackHole or Valhalla's VintageVerb?

I got Eventide Blackhole - not good really.

Valhalla Reverb plugins are the best to go for.

So get it if you can.
ALIEN SEVENTEEN is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Shoegaze or Slowdive - new lp
Thanks to ALIEN SEVENTEEN
A.M (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 03:24 AM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538430
Thanked 6,950 Times in 4,944 Posts

Oh dude. Vahalla is so so so fucking good for the money. I couldn't live w/o VintageVerb. If I had to rebuy it tomorrow for some reason, I'd slap down my credit card no questions asked. Its that kind of reverb where you can slap a little on something troublesome in your mix and it suddenly just sits right.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 04:16 AM   #4
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21060

I tried to write this a couple of ways, now the short version: for you I think Vintageverb would be better. I'd go Lexicon if you want to go with expensive reverbs, they're almost always the shit.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
A.M (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #5
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIEN SEVENTEEN View Post
I got Eventide Blackhole - not good really.

Valhalla Reverb plugins are the best to go for.

So get it if you can.

Thanks..appreciate the reply. Can you tell me just why you feel Eventide Blackhole is "not good really"? And why do you think Valhalla Reverb plugins are the best to go for?

I'd love to get more details from you on these points, as the more you tell me, the clearer the understanding I'll have of your own experiences and where you're coming from on all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Oh dude. Vahalla is so so so fucking good for the money. I couldn't live w/o VintageVerb. If I had to rebuy it tomorrow for some reason, I'd slap down my credit card no questions asked. Its that kind of reverb where you can slap a little on something troublesome in your mix and it suddenly just sits right.
Thanks, dude, for the feedback..nice one.

Obviously the price is a lot more attractive, too..with the VintageVerb currently selling for 1/4 the price of the Blackhole, and that's what really got me wondering about these two..I mean, I get the Blackhole has that ribbon feature..but there doesn't really seem to be all that much more to justify such a huge difference in the price.

Sound-wise..and this is based on the demo vids I've seem..the Blackhole seems to sound a little "clearer" when applied to something, whereas the VintageVerb sounds like it's slightly warm and muddy..or maybe it's just how it's been applied in those instances.

But yeah, there's a big difference between $50 and the best part of $200..so it's certainly looking like I'll be going with the VintageVerbbased on what you guys are telling me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I tried to write this a couple of ways, now the short version: for you I think Vintageverb would be better. I'd go Lexicon if you want to go with expensive reverbs, they're almost always the shit.

Yeah, like I said above to Relic, the Vintageverb sounds like it's slightly" warm and muddy" to my ears. What I guess I should have said is that it's sound has more of an analog feel to it, compared with the BlackHole unit, which would maybe be better on the kind fo music I make.

But I hear you on the high-end units and going with Lexicon in general. That's something I've thought about, too, in the past..funny you should mention them here like this now.

------------------
Old 06-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19660

grab the room verb and the vintage verb then that still works out cheeper than blackhole i have both to and blackhole reverb is fucking awful.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
A.M (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #7
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33110

I don't have any experience with the Blackhole, but the VintageVerb is sweet and very natural. Analog, as you say. All my experiences with Eventide (mostly hardware) is that it's very precise and clinical - great for things like pitch tracking/shifting, not so much for stuff like reverbs. Given the price difference I'd definitely go for the Valhalla. They offer so much quality and usefulness for the money.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
A.M (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #8
A.M

Thanks for taking the time to chime in, guys..nice one.

Looks like Valhalla's stuff is going to be my next investment.

------------------
Old 07-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #9
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59410
Thanked 1,188 Times in 790 Posts

I also have the vintage verb and I reall love it. It just sounds really nice.

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to professurreal
A.M (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
soundmodel
Analog Lurker
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland
MC Status: 1710

The Valhalla verbs are versatile and good value.

I would probably add 2CAudio Aether to your comparison though.
soundmodel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to soundmodel
A.M (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #11
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237279

As far as 'verbyverbs go, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
is a jam. It does not do any fancy vintage things, but if I'm feeling like that, I just slap some EQ and the Ableton tube thing after it. Not the most immediately "wow amazing, such lush, much ambient", but very rewarding and versatile. You really need to know what parameters to tweak, though. It can really do most spaces rather well - not as well as a convolution reverb could, but still. That and [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
are just about all I use. SpringAge is obviously a gimmick though.

In general, I would recommend experimenting with FX on the reverb send - both before and after the verb. They can really impart a lot of character to otherwise simple/bland reverbs. Compression and Saturation are a given, but even something like a tremolo or KS resonator can be used for more drastic effect.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:18 AM   #12
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538430
Thanked 6,950 Times in 4,944 Posts

I can't speak for Blackhole, however Vintage does have a "clean/modern" setting (the white mode). The 70's (brown/orange) and the 80's (blue/purple) both both have some (imo good) mud in them. The clean mode is pretty clean.

At the moment I'm not making tunes with gigantic deep space reverb stuff going on though. I'm keeping the reverb pretty tight and simple these days. That might inform my preference for something with flavor.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (08-05-2017)