[IDM] Patient Zero - Drum Machine
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 05-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #1
SpTk
Microknight
SpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MC
MC Status: 230869
[IDM] Patient Zero - Drum Machine

Kind of glitchy, ambient new track.

Enjoy!

Advertisements

------------------
SpTk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [IDM] Patient Zero - Drum Machine.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 159160
Thanked 3,183 Times in 2,379 Posts
Re: [IDM] Patient Zero - Drum Machine

The start of this made me think of the late, great, Edgar Froese and Tangerine Dream..but after the intro that thought faded from my mind, as the track opened up and took on a life and current style of it's own.

If I really had to find a fault with this piece, then it would be the ending..it feels like you ran out of steam and just lobbed it off there to finish it..kinda like you ran out of inspiration or something..maybe a little more of a "stylish" ending, one with a little more thought would have been nice..and a fitting and satisfying end to an otherwise great track.

I don't say this too often here in the Listening Booth, but there are time when I hear a track and it makes me just a little bit green with envy, usually because the track in question demonstrates or shows a certain level of production skills and raw talent that I guess we all wish we had or could have 100% of the time..and this track has that..to my mind, at least. As I listened, it made me wish I could do what you've done here, which I can..but maybe not as consistently as I would like all of the time.

It's a hard thing to quantify, but I know most people who make music will get what I mean..it's something about everything..each part of this project..not just the finished track..but the mindset going into it, that results in taking certain steps and making certain decisions along the way that results in a piece of music like this. Like I touched on before, if it wasn't for the ending, then this track would really shine.

Thanks for sharing and inspiring me today to get down to work and try to do better..to push things a little more beyond my current comfort zone. Much appreciated.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
DoomBrain
Granular Poster
DoomBrain is just really niceDoomBrain is just really niceDoomBrain is just really niceDoomBrain is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Agree with the TD comment, nice intro.

The track is extremely clever and certainly unique which is rare. Complex glitchy beats with interesting pad sounds, I like it.

Would be interested in what set up you have that made this?
DoomBrain is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:32 AM   #4
SpTk
Microknight
SpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
If I really had to find a fault with this piece, then it would be the ending..it feels like you ran out of steam and just lobbed it off there to finish it..kinda like you ran out of inspiration or something..maybe a little more of a "stylish" ending, one with a little more thought would have been nice..and a fitting and satisfying end to an otherwise great track.
That is essentially what happened; this track was basically finished and I was sitting on it for a while. It gets to a point when I've been sitting on music for too long that I would rather it be out there, this way I can get feedback and work on it more. Or if people like it, then it's done.

As for everything else you said, thanks for the kind words man, it means a lot. Invariably I have felt the way you described, but also these things are all relative. A track that makes you feel that way, might be a load of clap trap to someone else.

Very happy to inspire man, thanks again for your words.

------------------
Old 05-02-2017, 12:42 AM   #5
SpTk
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBrain View Post
Agree with the TD comment, nice intro.

The track is extremely clever and certainly unique which is rare. Complex glitchy beats with interesting pad sounds, I like it.

Would be interested in what set up you have that made this?
Thanks man, appreciate the comments.

As for the set up, I work in Cubase 6 (really want to upgrade). I did something with the drums that I haven't done before though. I made a loop, cut it up and spread it across the 16 pads in Cubase's Groove Agent. Each pad then has a separate outputs so there's extra processing on each section of the loop. Then bits were played in live with my beatstep pro, or I just randomly clicked in MIDI notes, whatever sounded cool.

I've also an Arturia MicroBrute and a Korg Minilogue that I do most of my synth work on, then a bunch of other plug ins and effects etc.

------------------
Old 05-13-2017, 03:59 AM   #6
Failsafe
Minor Glitch
Failsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 760

Lovely track.. Constantly keeps your attention with new elements coming in and an ever changing drum part. The live sounding bass really surprised me without it being out of place at all. The drums sound great, prove a lot of tone and melody but don't sacrifice any punch or rhythmic qualities at all. I didn't really have a problem with the ending, perhaps it could have built to something bigger but I quite like the petering out kind of ending and it seemed natural to me.

The mix is great everything stands out when you want it to without taking precedence over anything else, brilliant work.
Failsafe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #7
SpTk
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failsafe View Post
Lovely track.. Constantly keeps your attention with new elements coming in and an ever changing drum part. The live sounding bass really surprised me without it being out of place at all. The drums sound great, prove a lot of tone and melody but don't sacrifice any punch or rhythmic qualities at all. I didn't really have a problem with the ending, perhaps it could have built to something bigger but I quite like the petering out kind of ending and it seemed natural to me.

The mix is great everything stands out when you want it to without taking precedence over anything else, brilliant work.
Thanks man, first time I used bass guitar in a track. I like, think it'll make more appearances in the future.

Thanks again man.

------------------
Old 05-15-2017, 07:35 PM   #8
Morgen
Savage Mad Cunt
Morgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MC
Kiel at the Baltic Sea
MC Status: 51237606

Cool atmo and build-up!
The beat feels just somewhat tiny in contrast to the atmosphere soundscapes for me.

Advertisements

------------------
Morgen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote