[Dark ambeint/Industrial/Noise?] Dr.DooMBrain - Do not play this tape
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 29-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker
DoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710
[Dark ambeint/Industrial/Noise?] Dr.DooMBrain - Do not play this tape

To celebrate my 35 posts which I hope were mean, I would appreciate some feedback on this track I did a few months ago.

Not sure what genre it falls under but it's kinda dark and really doesn't make much sense.

Thanks

Last edited by A.M; 29-04-2017 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: title fixed

Advertisements

DoomBrain is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Dark ambeint/Industrial/Noise?] Dr.DooMBrain - Do not play this tape.
Old 29-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 174960
Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,612 Posts
Re: [Dark ambeint/Industrial/Noise?] Dr.DooMBrain - Do not play this tape

Interesting..not my usual listening, but I've listened to far worse over the years, trust me.

Just a few little point you might want to consider..the intro might work better if you run the vocals over the strings and let them fade up gradually under the voice, so there's more "relation" between the two track features.

You could try something similar with the second part of the track..the pulsing noise section..but, that said, it seems to work fine as it is.

One thing I found myself imagining as I listened to this was a 4x4 dance beat playing along with it..to kind of to bring out the "madness of the dark" in the piece..but again, it still works fine as it is..

As for genre..yeah, maybe Dark Ambient or a sub-genre of ambient like that..not really sure exactly, but I think going with Dark Ambient would be near enough for most people to get it.

Cool work..clear sound..nice one.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 31310

The first 20 seconds struck me as stupid and juvenile. It's like a kid's idea of scary haunted house music. I think it ruins what might otherwise be a good track. I'd get rid of it straight away.

The strings/synth pad that follow are nice but they seem out of place. They have nothing to do with the parts before or after and as neither the sounds nor the tune show up later they feel like you just shoved them in there just to do it. It's awkward and sounds tacked on.

The last part is great. I love it, totally up my alley. The pulsing drone is ominous and you have enough textural variation to keep it interesting without being all over the place. The mixing is solid here - slightly muddy and dark but very fitting. Lots of interesting sounds to discover.

I'd bring the string/synth thing back in later in the track, maybe with some distortion or effects, and add it back in as an element. Possibly extend the track to give you some time to play with the two. I think that'd bridge those two parts in an interesting way and give the entire track more cohesion.

Last edited by Artificer; 30-04-2017 at 05:37 AM..
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 01:43 AM   #4
Toothpinch
Microknight
Toothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1860

Yeah... I don't know.
The last half was cool if it went somewhere.
Is it to be the intro to something bigger?

------------------
Toothpinch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #5
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker
DoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

Thank you for the feedback guys, points taken on board and will note this for my next track. This is really useful to gather impartial unbiased opinions.

Can't really re-visit this track again as the tune was produced on my old PC, but I do have the glitchy noise samples still, it was a recording from a motor.

The next version will lean towards a 4x4 techno beat and miss out any silly intros that shouldn't be there. Those vocals were my best singing voice too! It was supposed to be more of a serious track (compared to some of my other stuff which is ridiculous to say the least) and I understand the random parts may not fit together. I think at the time I was not sure where I was going with it but I think from this point on I will lean towards dark industrial/drone vibes.

The influences and aim of this track was a tape that spoken a demonic voice when played. The strings there after were influenced from Resident Evil (original) and the drone synth sound was influenced from the crack den scene from Harry Brown (music in the background).
DoomBrain is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:33 AM   #6
cinematicensemb
Learning The Ropes
cinematicensemb is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Ending has some seriously dark vibes! Love the darkness there, would love to hear a whole complete track in that vein, has some depth to it.

Advertisements

cinematicensemb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote