Korg monologue
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 29-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker
DoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710
Korg monologue

Any thoughts on this?

I was thinking about getting one, I need a small midi keyboard anyway (as the one I have is old and too big) so I thought this may hit 2 birds with one stone as in I will hav e a cool synth also.

Not sure if it is worth it though as of course they hover around the 300-400 mark.

Advertisements

DoomBrain is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537430
Thanked 6,930 Times in 4,932 Posts
Re: Korg monologue

Ive heard a lot of great things about it. Sequencer will record knob movments. The US price point is spot on Id say.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 12:59 AM   #3
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25510

they sound terrific to me

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #4
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker
DoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to behold

I think this one has had input from Aphex Twin, unless I have that mixed up with another one.
Old 30-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBrain View Post
I think this one has had input from Aphex Twin, unless I have that mixed up with another one.
I believe he may have done some of the presets.

I actually almost bought a Monologue not long ago myself. I think its a cool synth and seems more immediately accessible than something like Dave Smith Mopho (even the Keys edition, really). It seems like it can do a lot + acid-ish stuff well. It is not a requirement, but if someone who makes electronic music can afford a hardware synth or a drum machine I think its really worth the experience. Korg have a long history of making affordable, but very usable so-called "entry level" machines for electronic music.

It is hard to go wrong with Korg in this arena. I'd recommend them all day long for first time hardware owners.

EDIT: Again, I think you'll really enjoy the sequencer. I've a bit of a fetish for a good sequencer myself, and Korg have always done well with them. Often called "poor man's Elektron".

------------------
Old 30-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I believe he may have done some of the presets.

I actually almost bought a Monologue not long ago myself. I think its a cool synth and seems more immediately accessible than something like Dave Smith Mopho (even the Keys edition, really). It seems like it can do a lot + acid-ish stuff well. It is not a requirement, but if someone who makes electronic music can afford a hardware synth or a drum machine I think its really worth the experience. Korg have a long history of making affordable, but very usable so-called "entry level" machines for electronic music.

It is hard to go wrong with Korg in this arena. I'd recommend them all day long for first time hardware owners.

EDIT: Again, I think you'll really enjoy the sequencer. I've a bit of a fetish for a good sequencer myself, and Korg have always done well with them. Often called "poor man's Elektron".
Sounds like a good first synth then, always wanted something like this.

Agree, the experience of a hands on approach would be fun and I assume you may get a true raw sound from this compared to a computer. A korg or Roland drum machine would be a nice to have also if cost was limitless.
Old 30-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I think the Monologue sounds great. But I would say to not have crrazy high expectations that its going to jump out of the box and immediately sound 100% better than software. I would say that about any synth.

------------------
Old 23-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
Cjames123
IDMf's latest spammer
Cjames123 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I loved my monologue. Ended up selling it for financial reasons. At the price point I think the monologue would be a great pick up for its sound quality and sequencer.
Cjames123 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #9
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 13610

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBrain View Post
IIRC he suggested to implement microtuning and was actually involved in the engineering process.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
My dog ate my mixing levels
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #10
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 3710

Another analog mono to look into would be the Bass Station 2. It would probs be a better as a midi keyboard, if you're not fussy about plastic casing. The main thing is to listen to demos and see which synth's sonic capabilities suits your style.
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #11
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC

If you have the chance to play the synths you,re interested in a local music store - go for it! Sometimes there can be a huge difference between the impression from audio/video demos and when you actually play the synth.

------------------
Thanks to Schnork
Dr. Sleaze (23-10-2017)
Old 24-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #12
Creepr
Soundscaper
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 6960

Fwiw I bought a Monologue 2 weeks ago as my first synth. No regrets. The sounds it makes are fantastic, the motion recording in the sequencer is easy and well, it is just tons of fun. I looked at the BS2, but it costs more and the seq is not as good, among other differences. Plus, as others have pointed out, the mono has microtuning, which really sets it apart.

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #13
project_null
IDMf's latest spammer
project_null will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Ive heard a lot of great things about it. Sequencer will record knob movments. The US price point is spot on Id say.
Actually, that's a very interesting thing. How many "automations" can you record on the sequencer? I will seriously consider selling my Microbrute and buy the Monologue instead.
project_null is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 11:55 PM   #14
Schnork
Deep Underground

IIRC you have four parameters.

------------------
Old 30-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #15
Creepr
Soundscaper
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
IIRC you have four parameters.
Correct, per sequence (so per patch) you can record up to 4 either "live" with pretty good resolution or "stepped" where the changes are really abrupt S&H style. Both are useful.

------------------
Old 30-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #16
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo
MC Status: 13798620

Holy Moses,

I have been looking for decent "entry-level" analog synth for a while now and I have never heard of this (I feel really stupid now).

It's around 300 euros, and judging from a few demos I watched it's worth every cent. Will definetly grab one of these when I have the dough.

------------------
I'm offering free mixing services, PM me if you are interested

Johnson Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #17
Creepr
Soundscaper
Germany

There are a few others worthy of your cash I guess, like the Microbrute, Dark Energy, Lancette or the BSII (used for about 300) but the Mono is for me the better option. Did look at the new Nanozwerg Pro...might be a good call if oyu want into modular (which I lust for personally) but for my first dip into hardware, no regrets. Just do yourself a favor and get one in the only awesome color available: gold.

------------------
Old 30-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #18
project_null
IDMf's latest spammer
project_null will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Thanks gentlemans; four parameters per sequence is definitely an interesting feature.

Johnson Academy : all depends on what you're looking for in terms of sound. I own the Microbrute, it's pretty much versatile but very wild if you push parameters beyond 50% of the course. B
imo, Monologue is probably the best you can have in term of possibilities (after some search about this synth, it is simply amazing) but it sounds definitely raw and acid (by itself, I mean w/o effects), so probably not as versatile as the Microbrute.
project_null is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #19
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo
MC Status: 13798620

Quote:
Originally Posted by project_null View Post
Thanks gentlemans; four parameters per sequence is definitely an interesting feature.

Johnson Academy : all depends on what you're looking for in terms of sound. I own the Microbrute, it's pretty much versatile but very wild if you push parameters beyond 50% of the course. B
imo, Monologue is probably the best you can have in term of possibilities (after some search about this synth, it is simply amazing) but it sounds definitely raw and acid (by itself, I mean w/o effects), so probably not as versatile as the Microbrute.
Ok, I think I got a bit exited too early.

The synth seems to do amazing work for what it does. But I think, for my use, something like Minilogue would be better. I will probably go to a music store near me to try these out. Microbrute is an option too, but the lack of properly saving patches and not-so-robust desing is a bit of a turnoff.

------------------
I'm offering free mixing services, PM me if you are interested

Johnson Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #20
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193

I know a guy that uses it and the poly to do depeche-y stuff. It sounds good.

I've also played with them. They're fun. Plenty of knobs, presets and available init's to record new sounds to.

Advertisements

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote