BB55 think outside the (beat) box
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles A dedicated area to discuss Beat Battle contests

Old 29-04-2017, 03:51 AM   #1
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver
MC Status: 8760
BB55 think outside the (beat) box

THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.

Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

THE DEADLINES

Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a Friday Nov 25
Submissions close Tuesday Dec 6th 23:59 and votes open at 00:00 on the 11th day.

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day Thursday Dec 8th

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

Late Submissions are void to receiving a vote

All times are UTC.

So for this one, I recorded myself making human noises and beat boxy sounds, nothing else. I'm no beat boxer superstar so I'm making up for it with variety and lots of samples. Extra props for making this sound entirely human or not at all. Don't be afraid to get weird and strange!

1. Explore a " weird" scale, just something less western standard that you're not very familiar with.

2. Make rhythm the focal point of interest to your track, you have alot of percussive options in the sample pack so utilize that. Anything from grooves, syncopation, tempo or timing changes, cool fills what have you, impress us.

3. Have evolving timbres, a soft/harsh dynamic is one example but something more subtle or complicated is also welcome/preferred.

and most importantly have fun!

SAMPLES:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

PS: Everyone is welcome to participate and if you have anything at all post it! This is about participation and community and we're not gonna be judgy or too competitive. Join us in this little exercise in musicmaking with deadlines and obstructions!

Advertisements

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 107250
Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,380 Posts
Re: BB55 think outside the (beat) box

10 days eh? I MAY be able to do something in this.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
brb (01-05-2017)
Old 30-04-2017, 03:56 AM   #3
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21060

Just got a listen to the samples, I think this is gonna be fun because the mixing is gonna be real interesting. And tuning. I'm probably gonna do like a pentatonic G scale. I would microtune, but my sampler won't do that natively and I'm not that good at keeping track of it myself to just pitch-bend everything there. Anyways, I haven't written anything in pentatonic since last summer and I almost always tune down at c or d.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
7asid (30-04-2017)
Old 30-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #4
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837177

R.I.P Bobby McFerrin

Most interesting sample pack to date...not even going to ask how you recorded the RimBox!

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast

OK I downloaded the samples - supposed to be doing something else right now though...

------------------
Old 30-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
R.I.P Bobby McFerrin

Most interesting sample pack to date...not even going to ask how you recorded the RimBox!
Up close and personal

------------------

Old 02-05-2017, 03:12 AM   #7
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California

Just spent half an hour laying down an intro and figuring out what samples I want to work with. Then I about blew my ears off because I accidentally listened to one of the samples at the wrong part in my gain staging chain. I'm gonna call that a productive night, I have a good idea of some effects to use and a theme I'm after.

------------------

Old 07-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69886469

This IS a tricky one. I think I'm going to have to have a lengthy paulstretch session to get something melodic out of it.

2 days left, how is everyone doing?

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #9
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
California

I think I have to give up melody, no time. Will do much texture and a short song most likely as I probably only have a few hours to work today and only have about 25 seconds arranged and no mixing started yet.

------------------

Old 07-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world

Well I I'm. ...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

------------------
Old 08-05-2017, 02:07 AM   #11
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
California

Came out a bit better than I hoped. Not the best melody, but it's not the atonal mess I feared. Only problems are the mix being a bit raw and it's short, but I'd rather be short and do it right than just looping it over and over.

------------------

Thanks to White Noise
brb (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 09:16 AM   #12
Creepr
Soundscaper
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 7110

Hey all, I wanted to let you know I just plain did not have time for this one, and will not for the next one as well due to work. I will see what is shakin' at the end of the month/start of June. I will give a vote if I can manage to listen to all the tracks though.

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Creepr
I/O_Madness (02-06-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #13
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Aye unfortunately I have nothing down. If I get some time between Nappies, the wife and the nipper to bed I will try.
Still will listen in to the subs to see what I missed. Been reworking a lot of BB into proper tracks recently using other sound sources once complete. Great source of inspiration. Peace.

FWIW don't forget the Club Bangers release needs your listen and votes 😎

See sig for album link.

Roll on BB56

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

------------------
Old 08-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #14
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC

So I just paulstretched VOWELS.wav and it sounds a lot like the trippy bit in Acid Trax by Phuture ("this is cocaine").

------------------
Old 08-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #15
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Best Coast

I still have over a day and I did start loading samples into sampler on the weekend.

------------------
Thanks to Oatbag
brb (08-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 04:50 AM   #16
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Best Coast

Made only from samples from the pack - not sure I really followed the instructions otherwise - but here is my sad attempt. I don't even know. It was do it tonight or not at all!

Last edited by Oatbag; 09-05-2017 at 04:57 AM..

------------------
Old 09-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #17
brb
Commie SJW

I wanted to make the drums in the second half come together and make a bit more sense, and to bend the melodies in the first half more in tune (or more pleasantly out of tune?) with the chords in the second half, but this will have to do:

brb_-_bb55_dirtbox

------------------
Thanks to brb
7asid (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #18
7asid
Knob Twiddler
Vancouver

lemme just throw this in the ring before im off to work

------------------

Old 09-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #19
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Sorry guys. Let us down. About 90 mins work!

------------------
Thanks to MFXxx
brb (09-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 02:12 AM   #20
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Best Coast

For me, it's between 7asid and brb - I'll try to make a decision.

Advertisements

------------------