A very biased and personal list of Old School tunes
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Go Back » Music By Genre » Techno
Old 04-11-2017, 03:07 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42160
A very biased and personal list of Old School tunes

On occasion of 1992 being 25 years ago and not having had any time for music except browsing YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...2eFUlJ8U1P6wIT

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:12 AM   #2
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8507030
Thanked 6,322 Times in 4,540 Posts
Re: A very biased and personal list of Old School tunes

Fantastic. 1992 where were you? (I was 10 lmfao). Still, so much of this music feels timeless to an in-the-know raver of any age.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
liquid_air (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:42 AM   #3
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 5510

Love it. I love going back and listening to 90's stuff. It was all SO new.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to envelope3
liquid_air (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #4
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Any glaring omissions?

Some big tunes people loved (esp. UK warehouse and hardcore) didn't make it, because they never really resonated with me.

------------------

Old 04-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
fidelium
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
¯\(°_o)/¯
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,781 Posts

nice one dude

got any grey aliens ?

------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
You need more hair on those balls, son.
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:55 AM   #6
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa

I was really into Orbital around this time period..maybe that was '94. Super nostalgic about that era.

AND....

getting all the gear to work together often produced happy accidents.

I do not miss midi librarians and sysex implementation charts. hahaha
Old 04-12-2017, 02:20 AM   #7
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Hard not to be nostalgic about it!

What's interesting is going back to the really early and house inspired tracks. It seems that a lot of attention went into capturing the more organic breakbeats emanating from the hip hop roots and prevalent in mid 80s (ware)house. This organic drum composition by folks that were steeped in a music culture that revered (and sampled) clever breaks from 60s and 70s soul is something of a lost art. Without that, it seems doubtful that with its sonic limitations the 808 would have been able to have such an impact.

------------------

Old 04-12-2017, 02:22 AM   #8
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I might have to pick up the choice tracks where I can and do a DJ mix from this list.

------------------
Old 04-12-2017, 02:26 AM   #9
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I might have to pick up the choice tracks where I can and do a DJ mix from this list.
They are all choice tracks.

------------------

Old 04-12-2017, 02:28 AM   #10
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
They are all choice tracks.
Well. True. But there are like 40+ yea? I'm not sure I could do a mix that long haha. I've not even tried in pfffff....like five years?

------------------
Old 04-12-2017, 02:32 AM   #11
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Mixed in key and Mashup, easy.

In those days it was usually a pair of souped up MK2s and a two channel analog mixer with - maybe - a cross fader. Hands on deck, not in the air.

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
envelope3 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 02:40 AM   #12
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Mixed in key and Mashup, easy.

In those days it was usually a pair of souped up MK2s and a two channel analog mixer with - maybe - a cross fader. Hands on deck, not in the air.
I'm not intending to diss djs at all but watching someone really slay it mixing records was so impressive. Not something I ever listened to but I saw fatboy slim dj once and with just two decks and a mixer in like 97 it was absolutely stunning the stuff he was pulling off.

Seeing Carl Cox with four decks... no time for pounding gin and tonics and waving your hands around. It was live and on edge performance that could go anywhere. I do miss that.
Thanks to envelope3
liquid_air (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 02:44 AM   #13
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
ottawa

I know this isn't house but it is 1992 and super nostalgic from the drum and bass rooms

http://youtu.be/GkP9psoUZ0w
Old 04-12-2017, 02:58 AM   #14
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post
I know this isn't house but it is 1992 and super nostalgic from the drum and bass rooms

http://youtu.be/GkP9psoUZ0w
Please and Thank You.

------------------
Thanks to relic
envelope3 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 03:05 AM   #15
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
ottawa

I remember our friends in high school put on parties. Saw Ritchie Hawtin back then. maybe 94 95. It was a different time!

The last "rave" I went to I was I think 22. As soon as I saw the 13 year old girl tripping balls on K and noticed the whole scene had been infiltrated by douchebags who didn't like music, I was done. hahaha.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:11 AM   #16
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post
I remember our friends in high school put on parties. Saw Ritchie Hawtin back then. maybe 94 95. It was a different time!

The last "rave" I went to I was I think 22. As soon as I saw the 13 year old girl tripping balls on K and noticed the whole scene had been infiltrated by douchebags who didn't like music, I was done. hahaha.
I didn't go to my first real rave until like 2001. Unless it was a club event, all the outdoor and warehouse stuff I went to had a pretty hardcore drug element. Mostly people could handle their highs. I've seen a few bad/weird things I'll never forget. Mostly good people, but yea...a lot of drugs.

------------------
Old 04-12-2017, 03:18 AM   #17
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I didn't go to my first real rave until like 2001. Unless it was a club event, all the outdoor and warehouse stuff I went to had a pretty hardcore drug element. Mostly people could handle their highs. I've seen a few bad/weird things I'll never forget. Mostly good people, but yea...a lot of drugs.
You know, for like the first maybe 10 I went to I didn't do drugs at all except maybe smoke a joint. I mean that totally changed but I was really there for the music first and foremost. I like to geek out at shows more than anything. hahaha

Also, things have changed a lot since 2001. I mean no offense to anyone but the crap that is at things like Ultra Miami is turds in my ears. I'd rather pull a double van gogh than listen to Tiesto while getting swarmed by talky bros.
Thanks to envelope3
relic (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 03:19 AM   #18
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Can't think of any music culture in modern times that wasn't also intertwined with a drug subculture. Even country has booze.

------------------

Old 04-12-2017, 03:22 AM   #19
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
ottawa

I have no problem with drugs!

It was just that there's a difference between hippy weirdo subculture and then the organized crime thug moron culture invading it.
Thanks to envelope3
relic (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 03:24 AM   #20
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
ottawa

btw. thanks for this thread. Now I'm listening to live rave stuff from the 90's again. It's a black hole. lol A very fun black hole.

This is rad

Ritchie Hawtin 1994
http://youtu.be/_8NOW8KQ1dA

Advertisements

Thanks to envelope3
liquid_air (04-12-2017)