What's your favourite bit of hardware and / or software..and why?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 02-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 159160
Thanked 3,183 Times in 2,379 Posts
What's your favourite bit of hardware and / or software..and why?

The title says it all really..let us all know what your favorite bit of hardware and / or software is and let us know why..

Doesn't matter if it / they are really expensive or cheap to buy..or you got em secondhand..all that matters if what they are and why you love em so much. Also, feel free to include photos if you have any.

Only rules for this are you can only pick / post about one piece of hardware and one piece of software..so chose wisely. Obviously, no cracked / hacked stuff allowed..shouldn't have to say that..obviously.

Personally..

Hardware: my old ATH m50s LE headphones..without them I'd be lost, as I'm so used to mixing with them. I could have picked my PC or some other hardware, but I depend on the cans so much that I just have to go with them.

Software: It has to be the old / original version of Camel Audio's classic VST synth "Alchemy"..it was the original and the best..and with it you can make practically any sound you want..and if you can't, then there's the outstanding range of high-quality factory presets / sounds that come with it.

It really is my go-to synth and a real workhorse bit of kit. I'm so used to using it at this stage, that it would feel odd not to be including it in a project at this stage.

OK..that's mine..what's yours?

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Lug (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #2
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744010691
Thanked 6,865 Times in 4,279 Posts
Re: What's your favourite bit of hardware and / or software..and why?

Software: US Constitution
Hardware: Trump
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #3
Lexakong
Analog Lurker
Lexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MC
MC Status: 38863

I must admit I would totally have picked my ath m50x cans - but I don't want to seem like some kind of biter! So the hardware will have to goto my humble little modular synth, the thing is just too much fun... (Unfortunately no pictures as I'm currently traveling)

Software has got to goto Ableton Live hands down. It's my bread and butter as far as music goes. I'd be an even bigger nobody without it!

Edit: Oh snappp look what I found on my phone. This is only ~half of the modular, but it's all the pics I've got. That patch is pretttttty damn complex huh?

Last edited by Lexakong; 02-21-2017 at 11:36 AM..
Lexakong is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:22 AM   #4
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65310
Thanked 1,306 Times in 985 Posts

Probably my favorite software is any good transparent look-ahead limiter and any good parametric EQ.
I rotate through different VST instruments and effects to try them out, but those two types of VST's are how I get better sounds every time.

Even when I used a hardware ROMpler, it was the limiting and EQing that helped me to get a really strong sound.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:31 AM   #5
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
Probably my favorite software is any good transparent look-ahead limiter and any good parametric EQ.
I rotate through different VST instruments and effects to try them out, but those two types of VST's are how I get better sounds every time.

Even when I used a hardware ROMpler, it was the limiting and EQing that helped me to get a really strong sound.

Thanks for posting, Ny..but you're supposed to tell us about only one piece of software..and not just "EQ" or "transparent look-ahead limiter"..you have to be specific and tell us EXACTLY which program is your favorite and why.

See the first post I made as an example.

------------------
Old 02-22-2017, 01:57 AM   #6
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 23710

Favorite hardware would be my Zoom H6, often in conjunction with some contact mics with a homemade impedance matching circuit. So many good sounds to play with and lets me capture on the go wherever I am.

Favorite software? Ummm...I dunno. Ableton would be the safe choice because I use it all the time, though Max/MSP makes cooler noise. For less standard choices, probably Loom. Hands down my favorite synth. Alchemy and Zebra for being able to import tun files and get microtonally weird.
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:56 AM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45939131
Thanked 5,619 Times in 3,546 Posts

Vocal Rider. About to get Bass Rider, it's only 100 bucks.

For hardware, my Isoacoustics stands and my Event monitors. World of difference, there.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
A.M (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 04:31 AM   #8
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 69824
Thanked 1,145 Times in 699 Posts

Software would be Reaktor without hesitation. Hardware is a bit harder to pin because I'll be really into a piece for awhile and then get bored with it. I'll say my cheapest recorders, the ones with the small tapes.

Reaktor because I can make whatever I want in it and know it pretty well, the shitty tape recorders because of the cheap quality that transforms samples

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to GomesR
A.M (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 07:47 AM   #9
White Noise
Ghostly
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 16660

Hardware: My laptop. My old one broke a few months back, so it forced me to evaluate everything I used as I was installing stuff to the new machine, it's streamlined my production environment on the software side. Then my desktop broke last week and I'm amazed I don't miss it at all. I do everything better on the new laptop (production, school, my job search, general web surfing, gaming, programming, learning related to all of the aforementioned). Only downside is it can eat up batteries when I'm really using it. It also looks nice as I like plain stuff (I don't particularly enjoy paying for the privilege of being someone's advertising). I got all the branding off my last laptop so that it was just a gray slate to the average onlooker, this one is almost just a black slate, but it does have a lit emblem on the lid I couldn't get rid of . I suppose you can't get it all, and seeing how I picked this because I needed it fast and it was the only one that had the hardware I wanted at a local store, I'm satisfied.

Software: This one was a bit trickier for me, but I'm going to go with U-He Diva. Since getting it, people have been impressed around the LB by some sounds that come out of this about as much as any other synth I use, but I wrapped my head around it in a matter of weeks, rather than months. I have a growing library of presets that I've made or tweaked, and I usually find myself starting a blank session with an instance of Diva and some preset I've made. I find myself getting better still at making patches. Now, I like to dial in something nuts, then pull it back just enough to be musical. I haven't even really gotten good at modulating stuff in tracks yet, but when I do, it's going to open an expressiveness of different moods out of a single patch that I've never gotten out of another VST. And it sounds so good to me that most of my other synths just can't compare without a fair amount of massaging.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
A.M (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
mmarra
Minor Glitch
mmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to behold
Toronto
MC Status: 810

I'm mastering focused and therefore most of my fav tools are mostly around EQs:

HW
- Airfield Audio Liminator 2
- GML 9500

SW
- DMG Audio EQuilibrium
- TDR SlickEQ M
- Acustica Audio Scarlet3 MHE-400
mmarra is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mmarra
A.M (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #11
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarra View Post
I'm mastering focused and therefore most of my fav tools are mostly around EQs:

HW
- Airfield Audio Liminator 2
- GML 9500

SW
- DMG Audio EQuilibrium
- TDR SlickEQ M
- Acustica Audio Scarlet3 MHE-400
Thanks for posting to the thread..BUT..the idea of this thread is for you to post about only one piece of HW and one piece of SW..and tell us why you chose them over the rest.

------------------
Old 02-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #12
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 22010

SW: absynth for sure, not 100% to grips with it cuz it's huge. But I can do so much.

HW: I think octatrack if we are talking electronic gear. Otherwise my sg.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
A.M (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 09:34 PM   #13
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts

Not going mention my DAW here because I think that would go without saying.
I'm struggling to define for myself if my favorite would be the thing I use most or not.

As for software if the fact that I use something the most means it's my favorite that hands down the award goes to FabFilter Saturn. I use it in every track, every time, multiple instances, and it's never a struggle to get it to do what I want. It's the most valuable tool I have in terms of mixing and the primary contributor to the overall tone of my tracks. It's impossible for me to find enough good things to say about it actually, loved it from the first second I dropped it on a track.

Hardware I don't really use anymore as far as synths go, I've stopped kidding myself in that regard. It was a nice idea for a while but given my life situations at the current moment having a small hardware setup that I can use on the regular just ain't in the cards. So I guess to answer the thread I'd have to say my headphones - Beyerdynamic DT770's. Had the 880's for a while, then switched, and I'm really glad I did.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
A.M (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 09:36 PM   #14
iDoG
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 16760

SW: PadShop Pro because it's pretty awesome at granular fuckery.

HW: PRS SE because she is very purdy and blue and has those sweet bird inlays.
iDoG is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:54 PM   #15
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
road to nowhere
MC Status: 329117050
Thanked 1,531 Times in 1,063 Posts

I have narrowed it down to this;
HW-krk kns-8400 headphones.phenomenal,way better than the bose i used to have.
SW-whatever i happen to be using when creative.
However i quite frequently use and am very fond of my old standby,RP predator.

------------------

piano bitches!
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Rixtr
A.M (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 11:15 PM   #16
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 18560

software - Blue 2
easily my most powerful software instrument, six oscillators and a ridiculous amount of wave shapes and a very cool software x-y pad that can easily be mapped to a midi controller with an x-y pad

hardware - BCR2000
able to control all the parameters I could ever need, I have most of my synths mapped to it
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to stray medicine
A.M (02-22-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 04:18 PM   #17
mmarra
Minor Glitch
mmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to behold
Toronto
MC Status: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Thanks for posting to the thread..BUT..the idea of this thread is for you to post about only one piece of HW and one piece of SW..and tell us why you chose them over the rest.
Oh sorry....then I would have to say:

Hardware: Airfield Audio Liminator 2 - I don't use it much to compress but more for gain staging...so good.

Software: TDR SlickEQ M

Last edited by mmarra; 02-26-2017 at 11:27 PM..
mmarra is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mmarra
A.M (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #18
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8513780
Thanked 6,457 Times in 4,617 Posts

I've already gone on at length about my favorite piece of hardware on this forum many times, but I'll try to keep it short here...My favorite piece of hardware is hands down the Elektron Analog 4. Its my desert island synth. I spent some time making songs using only the Analog 4 and could be quite happy exploring it by itself if it came down to it. It really would be a hard choice between it and my studio desktop. If I could keep my iPad I'd probably choose the A4/iPad combo over a studio desktop/no A4 at this point. Between its limitations and capabilities making whole tracks with it can be a really pleasurable puzzle. That said it gets a lot of regular use in the studio, a good work horse poly for me, but also does a lot of specialty stuff really well (mostly related to the sequencer).

My favorite piece of software is also Alchemy, hands down. Unfortunately I screwed up and didn't download all my shit before they went tits up so my time with it is limited. Suppose I'll have to go Omnisphere or something similar someday. Absynth is also pretty good, though not as intuitive as Alchemy.

For FX VST it would be a very hard choice as I've got a real solid line up of "go-to" stuff that I know well. But the most "fun" one for quite a while has been U-he Satin. Don't know if it sounds like real tape, don't care. I love what U-he Satin does. Great software delay as well.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 09:21 PM   #19
DOLGAP
Minor Glitch
DOLGAP is a jewel in the roughDOLGAP is a jewel in the roughDOLGAP is a jewel in the roughDOLGAP is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

SW: Ableton's sampler

HW: haven't used any, so don't have one

Last edited by DOLGAP; 02-23-2017 at 09:35 PM..

Advertisements

DOLGAP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DOLGAP
A.M (02-23-2017)