FL studio sound quality vs other DAWs
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
pavleas
Microknight
pavleas is just really nicepavleas is just really nicepavleas is just really nicepavleas is just really nice
Athens
MC Status: 360
Icon5 FL studio sound quality vs other DAWs

So basically the title says it all. Everyone keeps saying that the "quality" of the sound in FL is not that good like ableton or cubase.. I believe this is stupid but i am a new producer so i'm probably wrong. Isn't the sound better if you have skills on creating the sound and EQing?? I sent one of my private in progress tracks to a producer friend and she said "good quality for fl studio". And in general i hear this a lot that fl sound quality is not that good. Type your opinions and personal experiences with FL and other DAWs.

Advertisements

------------------
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
https://soundcloud.com/pavleas/nosferatu
pavleas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160
Re: FL studio sound quality vs other DAWs

When people say that they are quite frankly talking shit. Loads of people use FL and Reason (the other program that gets tarred with the same brush) and have decent records out.... a bad workman, tools, and all that jazz git meh?

For me the only real difference between raw DAWs is the workflow - each one has unique points and unique flaws.... FL has a bad rep because it used to be called Fruity Loops and was easy to pick up (not necessarily to master) and jam soething out resembling a song with little to no experience... same as with reason... and tbf, fruity was never a full DAW (again, like Reason) - but as FL Studio, it is just as good as anything else out there...

i repeat DAWs have NO inherent sound of their own....what you put in, is what you get out
FairyLand INC. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8507530
Thanked 6,332 Times in 4,545 Posts

I'm might be mistaken, but I believe that all the major DAWs uses the same...whatever...widget? to export audio anyway...next time you send this person something tell them you used a different DAW and ask them if the "sound quality" is better. Lol
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #4
Vault O)))
Ghostly
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 19760

They're all the same. I'm too stupid to tell you why, but you can google it.

People who say shit don't know how to turn off the auto-fruity limiter on their master, imo.

Edit: Actually, people talk shit on Live way more than FL. The dull default color scheme makes everybody go willy nilly until they test the same file rendered through another DAW.

Last edited by Vault O))); 01-26-2017 at 09:46 PM..

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #5
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8507530
Thanked 6,332 Times in 4,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
They're all the same. I'm too stupid to tell you why, but you can google it.

People who say shit don't know how to turn off the auto-fruity limiter on their master, imo.
Its nice that have someone else in the I'm too ignorant club
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Vault O))) (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:52 PM   #6
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 21110

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I'm might be mistaken, but I believe that all the major DAWs uses the same...whatever...widget? to export audio anyway
Algorithm is the word you're looking for. Most of the magic happens at the AD/DA conversion, not in the DAW. That's why stuff like Burr Browns demand a higher price and spend so much on R&D - they generally are considered more 'true' to the source.

Workstations are designed to be as transparent as possible and they're really really good at it. Digital audio has been happening for over 50 years and there's be a massive amount of research and effort thrown into understanding how to translate waves into 1s and 0s. DAWs mostly just take what they're handed and do whatever you tell it to. The only time that a DAW really has a chance to color audio is during summing, which is the basis of the whole analog vs digital summing argument. After that it's all about your DA conversion on the way out. If you're exporting to something like mp3, take up any sound issues with LAME or whoever, not ImageLine.

The thing to remember is there are a crazy amount of purposeful and accidental coloration along the way - the sample, the mic, the AD/DA, the plugs you run, the outboard compressor, et al. Thinking that a simple algorithm designed to combine audio based on the same generic algorithms developed by academics and purposefully designed to be as transparent as possible is somehow poorly translating or coloring your output is pretty goofy.

Go check out any of the myriad Gearslutz threads where 20 year vetern professional engineers fail A/B/X tests on various DAWs. This shit has been put to bed over and over.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
relic (01-27-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:56 PM   #7
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65310
Thanked 1,306 Times in 985 Posts

At a very very very early time, I believe there might have been a resampling error in the FL Studio output engine, but that was resolved years ago. Also the FL Studio built-in documentation discourages the use of certain settings that they know used to be problematic; so it's not a problem anymore.

That being said, FL Studio's stock sounds come as a proprietary OGG WAV (WAV's with OGG's embedded). They are actually a lot like MP3's disguised as WAV's. For those with a good trained ear, we can hear the aliasing and fuzziness or "fizziness" of the lossy files for certain types of sounds but not all. Usually it's cymbals that reveal teh aliasing the worst. But for kick drums it's not going to be noticeable probably.

Also, like many other manufacturers of both hardware and software, presets of synths might be oversaturated with reverb or spatial effects or distortion or cliche types of sounds. But that's why you should always try and tweak sounds to your own liking and also make your own sounds instead of relying too much on non-edited presets.

I used a lot of presets, but I try to edit them to sound better and I try not to overuse them. Also, I spend weeks if not months weeding out the bad presets and there's usually a lot of them from any VST instrument or gear from anywhere. But that's not really the fault of FL Studio. A lot of preset makers have their own style. They are usually really good at just a certain style that may not be compatible with what you are looking for. Some of them are geniuses, but their sounds might be so good and funky they are too hard to compose with, literally.

But as for overall sound quality of a DAW, these days it's usually well-resolved on an optimized DAW computer. If you're getting buffer underruns, it's probably an Operating System configuration issue, or a system settings audio driver issue not really the fault of the program makers. In the 1990s it wasn't as reliable as it is now for some stuff. Although, some stuff could be worse. Hardware was often excellent for sound quality back then.

Overall, don't worry about it.

As for VST plugins, freeware plugins and some paywares can be tricky in terms of if they have rendering bugs. In the past, it used to be more common for some VST filters to fail to run correctly for synths or effects during rendering, but not during realtime playback. However, these days the VST programming has improved and some standards have been set. Also, programs like Reaper have a lot of contingency and adaptation and compatibility settings to reduce the bugs and to prevent stuff like that or plugins crashing. It's really pretty much a good time for digital audio in some ways. The main hurdles finally got jumped, and most computers can handle it now.

I hope this helps.

Also beware of any demo-mode VST plugins injecting noise or dropouts into your compositions.
And if you haven't optimized your computer for DAW use, that might be why you're getting buffer underruns and stuttering or glitches.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
DOLGAP
Minor Glitch
DOLGAP is a jewel in the roughDOLGAP is a jewel in the roughDOLGAP is a jewel in the roughDOLGAP is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Every DAW adds 0s and 1s, so definitely no difference. The sound difference is caused by the routings and internal effects.
DOLGAP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #9
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6893859
Thanked 3,293 Times in 2,002 Posts

Yeah 10 years ago fruity was a joke. A fun joke. But still a joke. But then most software only digital audio was shit ten years ago.

For me, fruity sounds shit. But that's because it's got a lot of idiosyncrasies that I don't know about because I don't use it. It's kind of like how Logic users sound shit in Ableton.

It doesn't matter what DAW you use, so long as you know the weird bits and how to deal with them...

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
Vault O))) (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 11:32 PM   #10
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1526877
Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,150 Posts

you cant make pro music with FL studio and jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:36 PM   #11
Vault O)))
Ghostly
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 19760

Never trust a DAW that renders straight to MP3 by default

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:03 AM   #12
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 89750
Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,182 Posts

Fruity Loops
It's a FUN TOY I suppose.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
relic (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #13
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Troll mode? Nah! Sounds like sound guy humour to me

------------------
For reference:
Quote:

satan = f i d

* I am not God.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #14
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 145760
Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,755 Posts

I saw the FL interface once in like 2002 on a 486 pc and I thought it looked like a huge green 808.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:54 AM   #15
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42160

It is well known that pro sound requires the use of Reaper on a non-Intel build PC running Ubuntu. Or analog signal path hardware only. All else is a liberal conspiracy.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #16
Neuralsphere
Microknight
Neuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond repute
Midlands
MC Status: 3660

Search 'power users, image line' for what artists are saying. They could have been paid off? Then again so could every other company & artist. I use it, but I'm not at liberty to disclose my review until I've been paid off

Make up your own mind, look well into the matter and don't hate the trolls for replying to le trollbait.

Neuralsphere is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Teddy Killerz & Icicle - Louder ft. DJ Craze
Thanks to Neuralsphere
pavleas (02-06-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #17
arm23
Soundwave Mangler
arm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

I think it depends on You, Your gear(other than a computer) Your ears and thinking. Not DAW.

------------------
Here is the track
arm23 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #18
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15828

If you use the daw's stock sample rate dither then there could be a difference in sound if they are different algorithms.

UV22HR dithered files sound better to me than POWr versions...... I don't know what FL uses.

If you never change sample rate then they should be equal.

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Grain Bastard
Jaded (03-01-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #19
_nanonoise_
Analog Lurker
_nanonoise_ is a name known to all_nanonoise_ is a name known to all_nanonoise_ is a name known to all_nanonoise_ is a name known to all_nanonoise_ is a name known to all_nanonoise_ is a name known to all
MC Status: 610

I cannot speak from experience, having only used 2 DAWs, but this guy apparently has done the dirty work and compared WAVs from the same samples rendered by ableton vs FL studio:

music.tutsplus.com/articles/fl-studio-vs-ableton-live-battle-of-the-audio-engines--cms-23560
_nanonoise_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:02 AM   #20
Jaded
Total mad cunt

^ Man, updated from 9.3 to 9.7 when I got Push 2... and whoah... Anything anyone said about Live sound quality pre 9.5 is redundant now... Shit boy!

Advertisements

------------------
For reference:
Quote:

satan = f i d

* I am not God.
Thanks to Jaded
mnkvolcno (02-11-2017)