[stoner/doom] Apocryphal Throne - The Day of our Demise
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf's User Releases Post your official releases here. Works in progress and promo spam will be removed.

Old 19-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536677
Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,256 Posts
[stoner/doom] Apocryphal Throne - The Day of our Demise

Apocryphal Throne is a one man musical endeavor of Denver musician and producer Chase Dobson focusing on atmospheric, heavy post rock and metal sounds.

The Day of Our Demise was a concept conceived watching the US Presidential election unfold in disbelief.

All songs written and recorded from December 27 2016 to Jan 8 2017 at 1156 HQ, Denver CO.

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
Automageddon (19-01-2017)
Old 19-01-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269465608
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,880 Posts
Re: [stoner/doom] Apocryphal Throne - The Day of our Demise

Just bought.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

thank you sir! you are officially #1.

------------------
Old 19-01-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269465608
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,880 Posts

I will start listening to it in 11 minutes, as soon as I get out of the office and in the car.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

sounds pretty great to me.

a few questions about production. first track has this sound that sounds like throat singing/scream, but it sustains for an inhumanly long time and doesn't sound like it's stretched or anything. how did get that sound? multiple takes crossfaded? sounds pretty smooth and evolving. it also sounds like it might be layered with some synth sound too. very cool.

In Memoriam, the clean guitar sounds like it's classical, particularly on the lower strings. though the higher strings do have that metallic clang, so it's probably not. but lower stings sound like nylon to me. pretty weird. and it sounds like you have some thing layered. it's a percussive sound, but it's really odd, like it's a bracelet hitting the body of the guitar or something like that. something unintentional. wtf is that?

anything else you want to add about your set up for this? did you do anything new and interesting for you? it seems like you banged out the whole thing in a week. that's pretty awesome.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

Bought it. Will intently listen when I get to decent speakers. Really looking forward to it.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #7
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
- Thanks for listening.

- the opening throat singing bit is me, buried in verb. I used one of Ableton's "Complex" time stretching algorithms to make it twice as long. it does a great job of stretching without sounding overly processed. For that intro, on an aux send I have a Spectral Gate and Hold plugin, which "basically" takes any signals above a threshold and smears their spectrum for a defined amount of time. That's probably what you're hearing, i have a little bit of everything going to that send in the intro. The result is something like a reverb, but more pad-like and textural, oh, and then more reverb.

- the acoustic bit for the interlude is the result of several challenges. Student Acoustic guitar w mediocre electronics, and my shitty picking technique, nothing crazy layered there, 2 tracks of recorded guitar and "strings". I wrote this thing in a hurry, so i opted to just say "it is what it is" and left it at that. I could have mic'ed the guitar but my space isn't acoustically so great so it might have been even more problematic.... who knows, it was more of a "get it down and move on" sort of project. I needed to do something more "off the cuff" after doing so much programming for this industrial project I have a-brewing.

-additionally, this project came together quickly as a result of me developing a template session to record into, I dialed in some "generic" guitar and bass tones on channels as well as the "drum kit" on a midi channel w the sort of bus fx and eq i was shooting for. So rather than re-inventing the wheel for every tune, i treated the channels and settings like "walking into a practice space" and going for it. this was definitely more of a writing challenge than production exercise. I did make tweaks to the "amp settings" for certain things, but I have a little library of tones I've created as go-to's for this type of thing.

------------------
Old 19-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #8
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Bought it. Will intently listen when I get to decent speakers. Really looking forward to it.
thank you kindly sir!

------------------
Old 19-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #9
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943931
Thanked 5,715 Times in 3,599 Posts

I just bought it and will jam it all day long. Loving the guitar tone.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:57 PM   #10
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I just bought it and will jam it all day long. Loving the guitar tone.
Thanks Mike!

------------------
Old 19-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #11
iDoG
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
-additionally, this project came together quickly as a result of me developing a template session to record into, I dialed in some "generic" guitar and bass tones on channels as well as the "drum kit" on a midi channel w the sort of bus fx and eq i was shooting for. So rather than re-inventing the wheel for every tune, i treated the channels and settings like "walking into a practice space" and going for it. this was definitely more of a writing challenge than production exercise. I did make tweaks to the "amp settings" for certain things, but I have a little library of tones I've created as go-to's for this type of thing.
well, it sounds really good for what it is. seems like the best of both worlds: you can just jam out and be creative, without getting bogged down in technical mix, yet without sacrificing much in terms of mix quality. and obviously the odd things (acoustic guitar artifacts) just add character.
Old 23-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #12
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Hey Friends! Care to UPVOTE THIS?????

It would be mighty kind of you.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 23-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #13
iDoG
Chicago

nope. sorry. can't upvote my own posts.

proper link:

Old 23-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #14
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDoG View Post
nope. sorry. can't upvote my own posts.

proper link:

ah! it was you. mucho appreciated my friend!

:edit: and now iDOG makes a lot more sense.

------------------
Old 25-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #15
iDoG
Chicago

Quote:
ah! it was you. mucho appreciated my friend!
i just did it for that sweet sweet karma.

nah, this stuff sounds great and people seem to be digging it around there.

Quote:
:edit: and now iDOG makes a lot more sense.
Old 25-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #16
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943931
Thanked 5,715 Times in 3,599 Posts

I shared it in a couple of facebook groups, one didn't get any likes but the other got about 6. Some of these fb groups are kind of snobby.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 11:38 PM   #17
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

Currently remixing it with big room backbeats. You can expect "Day of our Dance-mise" booming in clubs everywhere this summer.

Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 12:25 AM   #18
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Currently remixing it with big room backbeats. You can expect "Day of our Dance-mise" booming in clubs everywhere this summer.

fantastic.

------------------
Old 26-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #19
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 26510

Really cool stuff!
My favourite bit is the layered picking and rim shots on the last track! I think that might be my favourite track. It's kinda hard tho since a lot of the tones are the same throughout. Especially that reverb tremolo picking bit.
Some bits remind me of some of the melvins heavy stuff!
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 12:45 AM   #20
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Thanks for listening sir!

Advertisements

------------------