Performing Old-school Industrial for general audience
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:37 AM   #1
JacobJaru
Regular Freak
JacobJaru is a jewel in the roughJacobJaru is a jewel in the roughJacobJaru is a jewel in the rough
Orlando
MC Status: 260
Performing Old-school Industrial for general audience

I am performing at an art venue pretty soon, and I know how the average denizen of Orlando wouldn't get the music. Which is like Throbbing Gristle in my opinion. So does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with an audience that doesn't understand that type of Industrial?

Advertisements

JacobJaru is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Skinny Puppy-Vivisect
Old 10-01-2017, 03:46 AM   #2
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 26010
Re: Performing Old-school Industrial for general audience

Nope. You either close your eyes and sing like you're in the shower or you don't play. Trying to somehow convey the intricacies and history of post-folk noise destruction to people who grew up with Michael Jackson is a losing battle. I suppose you could try to play your more accessible and 'lighter' tracks if you have them in an attempt to capture the imagination of the few people there that don't get it but might grow to like it, but that sounds like lame half-measures to me. Mostly they're either going to get it or not.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:58 AM   #3
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 99950
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,302 Posts

The person who booked you knows what you do right?
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:49 AM   #4
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Pen Island
MC Status: 27760

You're better off playing cunt'ry 'round these parts. You'll probably get kicked out for playing noise, but have fun trying

And send me the video plz

------------------
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #5
sl9dge
Regular Freak
sl9dge will become famous soon enoughsl9dge will become famous soon enough
Paris
MC Status: 110

Mate the only advice I can give you is to use the things you hate in a genre, but to merge it with something else.
Exemple : I've always hated that reggaeton / dance hall beat scheme, but surprised myself using it in some projects that had a very different vibe than regular reggaeton / dance hall songs, and all I can say is that the mix was interesting.

Use elements of genres you don't like, play with them, kill them by surrouding them in a bunch of other noises of your own. That would be as benefic for them as it would be for you

Last edited by sl9dge; 10-01-2017 at 10:08 PM..
sl9dge is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: https://soundcloud.com/joshpan/tomahawk
Old 10-01-2017, 10:44 PM   #6
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 99950
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,302 Posts

I mean if it's an art show and you were specifically booked to do what you do, they might be going for a sound that the audience doesn't even like. Source: been to some weird as fuck art shows.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:55 PM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45940231
Thanked 5,641 Times in 3,558 Posts

Fuck em. Just jam out and have a good time. Drink some beers.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #8
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1528777
Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,172 Posts

^ this.

Sounds like you got hired for either the wrong gig, or the RIGHT GIG. Do your thing, and don't compromise. The people of Orlando will be better for it.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:21 AM   #9
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744015841
Thanked 6,968 Times in 4,345 Posts

Don't bother with it at all or just go 150% balls to the wall, fucking all out weird as fuck, no compromise.

edit: haha , again. What Artificer said.
edit2: and what everyone else said pretty much
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #10
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38897

I always get booked for the wrong gigs, I just say no to those these days.

If it's an art venue it should be fine, people will think it's obscure art no one's supposed to get.

------------------
Mctoast is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mctoast
Oatbag (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #11
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Fuck em. Just jam out and have a good time. Drink some beers.
Ding ding.

------------------
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #12
Toothpinch
Microknight
Toothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1860

Love to see video of this if possible.
- if nothing else, let us know how it went!

But to echo, you'll just have to go for it.
Toothpinch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #13
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 47610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctoast View Post
I always get booked for the wrong gigs, I just say no to those these days.

If it's an art venue it should be fine, people will think it's obscure art no one's supposed to get.
Didn't you almost get beaten up once?

People here have guns.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:37 PM   #14
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 26010

I think it's also worth pointing out that original Industial artists (both label and genre) weren't out playing any club that would have them. It wasn't Bad Local Steppenwolf Coverband -> Throbbing Gristle -> The Buzzcocks or anything like that. They all played at art shows and in a very insular scene where people on the fringe of art and music were experimenting.

I think it all depends on what you expect to get out of it. If you're just doing it for beer money or whatever, cool - go get some beer money, no fucks given. If you're trying to get exposure for your project, it comes down to whether you think that venue is an appropriate place to win new fans or whether you're just wasting time spinning your wheels by pissing people off with your abstract noise. If you've developed specific pieces in conjunction with the art and artists being displayed there's literally no better venue. If you're trying to frame your work as part of a movement or scene in relation to other artists, that's probably not the right venue for that at all.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
lolirl (12-01-2017)
Old 13-01-2017, 02:53 AM   #15
JacobJaru
Regular Freak
JacobJaru is a jewel in the roughJacobJaru is a jewel in the roughJacobJaru is a jewel in the rough
Orlando

Thanks guys. Welp fuck it if the camera doesn't get destroyed I will post the video.
Old 27-02-2017, 07:13 AM   #16
JacobJaru
Regular Freak
Orlando

I performed at the venue and got a good response. People clapped and it went down pretty well. The only thing that gave us trouble was the mixing was absolute garbage and the microbrute decided to go full retard on us for two of the songs. But we got invited to go there again.
So I will edit the footage my friends recorded of the event and find the best audio that goes with it before posting. Anyways thanks for the support and the video should be out in next week.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #17
Matt Deadbeat
Learning The Ropes
Matt Deadbeat is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Was just gonna second what most people have said - just do your thing, and get into playing the music. While you don't want to over-think things, i find remembering why I wrote the track I'm playing gets me in the right headspace.

Something else I've learned from playing live quite a lot, is that even if you feel negative about the gig, don't project that to the audience. they'll feel the same, then you'll feel worse... It's like a feedback loop.

Glad to hear the gig went well for you (apart from technical issue, which are unfortunately often a part of what we do), hopefully you can take that forward to the next show.
Matt Deadbeat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:09 AM   #18
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7460

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobJaru View Post
the microbrute decided to go full retard on us for two of the songs
It's industrial, they probably thought it was part of the song.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:49 PM   #19
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Pen Island
MC Status: 27760

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobJaru View Post
I performed at the venue and got a good response. People clapped and it went down pretty well. The only thing that gave us trouble was the mixing was absolute garbage and the microbrute decided to go full retard on us for two of the songs. But we got invited to go there again.
So I will edit the footage my friends recorded of the event and find the best audio that goes with it before posting. Anyways thanks for the support and the video should be out in next week.

------------------
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:18 AM   #20
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8110

whole point of old school industrial and noise was avoiding and pissing off general audience

Advertisements

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote