Beat Battle 45: Have yourself a merry little beat battle
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 09-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
BALLZ!
nob Twiddler
BALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MC
խելագար սեւահեր
MC Status: 11265214
Beat Battle 45: Have yourself a merry little beat battle

THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.

Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

THE DEADLINES

Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a Friday (9 Dec).
Submissions close Tuesday 11 days later (20 Dec) 23:59 and voting opens at 00:00 (immediately after).

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day, Thursday (22 Dec).

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day (Friday, Dec 23) to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

Late Submissions are void to receiving a vote

All times are UTC.

Countdown until submissions close:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rules for this round:

1. You may use ONE (1) vocal sample from freesound.org (ideally CC0 licensed). It can be any kind of vocal (how about [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
HEHE?), but must be somewhat recognisable as a vocal (if there are words, they don't need to be intelligible). However, it can be processed (autotune, vocoder, filters, etc.). If you do use one, make sure to supply a link, so we know what to listen for.

2. Each track/sound may only play one note at a time. If you want chords, each simultaneous note must be from a separate, distinct sound (e.g. same base, different editing/processing), or you can play a single sound in arpeggio, etc..

3. Considering the time of year, make something seasonally inspired. Either a cover of a specific song/tune (for bonus cheese points), or just something with vibes that YOU relate to the season, be it Yuletide, Hanukkah, or plain winter (or something else. It's summer for a lot of people).

SAMPLES:
I found some cc0 samples from freesound, cus I don't have anything decent to record with. Maybe another time! Left filenames intact so you can find the source.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

PS: Everyone is welcome to participate and if you have anything at all post it! This is about participation and community and we're not gonna be judgy or too competitive. Join us in this little exercise in musicmaking with deadlines and obstructions!

Last edited by BALLZ!; 10-12-2016 at 03:17 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
tsxfgijhkt,ygt54esdy6hn
BALLZ! is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:52 AM   #2
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1828627
Re: Beat Battle 45: Have yourself a merry little beat battle

Hye Ballz congrats ona great win in #44

Great samples and yep, this is going to be a seasonally fun scit.

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:34 AM   #3
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11469204

Alright!!! I'm here this time at the beginning!!!! IT'S GOING DOWN!!

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness
FACEBOOK FACEBOOK FACEBOOK

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:38 AM   #4
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

Wait, clarifying rule number 2... we have to use a sound monophonically, but we can do arpeggios, melodies?

------------------
music by I/O_Madness

I/O_Madness
Old 10-12-2016, 03:59 AM   #5
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Wouldn't that not be monophonic then?

------------------
music by I/O_Madness

I/O_Madness
Old 10-12-2016, 04:18 AM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 47460

Not a big fan of these x-mas specials TBH.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:52 AM   #7
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
It doesn't strictly have to x-mas. It could be winter.

------------------
music by I/O_Madness

I/O_Madness
Old 10-12-2016, 05:31 AM   #8
BALLZ!
nob Twiddler
BALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MC
խելագար սեւահեր

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
Wouldn't that not be monophonic then?
Possibly :p the idea is that any one sound should only play one note at a time, but you can of course have several notes from the same sound over time/in succession, to create melodies, or arps.

Exceptions would be something like a noise atmosphere where there aren't any well discernible notes.

Quote:
I figured not everyone would find it thrilling, so I expanded the concept. You can just write an atmospheric track that makes you think of winter, snow, etc., if you prefer. Doesn't have to be atmospheric either, just an example.

Quote:
IT'S GOING DOWN!!
IM YELLING TIMBER

------------------
tsxfgijhkt,ygt54esdy6hn
Old 10-12-2016, 06:09 AM   #9
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 47460

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALLZ! View Post
I figured not everyone would find it thrilling, so I expanded the concept. You can just write an atmospheric track that makes you think of winter, snow, etc., if you prefer. Doesn't have to be atmospheric either, just an example.
So, kind of like, do whatever you want an tell a compelling winter landscape story?

I was wondering if ripping some Bad Santa movie quotes might be ok...

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:13 AM   #10
BALLZ!
nob Twiddler
խելագար սեւահեր

Quote:
So, kind of like, do whatever you want an tell a compelling winter landscape story?

I was wondering if ripping some Bad Santa movie quotes might be ok...
Yeah, if that's what you want.

I would approve of Bad Santa samples, but it would be against the rules (and a copyright violation, not that I mind), so possibly grounds for disqualification (I imagine, but don't know how strict these beat battles are on that).

------------------
tsxfgijhkt,ygt54esdy6hn
Old 10-12-2016, 06:23 AM   #11
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

sounds like a gray line to me, i'd say no polyphony whatsoever. Even regular instruments have slightly different timbres at different pitches, which would pass the monophonic rule. You want a different pitch, you get another sound is what I'd say.

------------------
music by I/O_Madness

I/O_Madness
Old 10-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #12
BALLZ!
nob Twiddler
խելագար սեւահեր

Quote:
sounds like a gray line to me, i'd say no polyphony whatsoever. Even regular instruments have slightly different timbres at different pitches, which would pass the monophonic rule. You want a different pitch, you get another sound is what I'd say.
Yeah, but I think it would just be too much work even to create simple riffs, if you need one track for each note/pitch. Might discourage some from joining.

------------------
tsxfgijhkt,ygt54esdy6hn
Old 11-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #13
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALLZ! View Post
Yeah, but I think it would just be too much work even to create simple riffs, if you need one track for each note/pitch. Might discourage some from joining.
alright, you're the one calling the shots.

------------------
music by I/O_Madness

I/O_Madness
Old 11-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #14
st3aLth
Sample Destroyer
st3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2360

I'm here like want you or not
st3aLth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #15
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 19160

made some dope ass beets for this.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #16
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80989180
Thanked 3,979 Times in 2,584 Posts

all right, I got a full day off tomorrow and I'll try a hand at that shit in between my mindfulness meditations

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 12:19 AM   #17
BALLZ!
nob Twiddler
խելագար սեւահեր

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
all right, I got a full day off tomorrow and I'll try a hand at that shit in between my mindfulness meditations
good shit thats some good shit good shit thats some good shit if i do say so myself
👍👍👍
ya feel me bruh that shits fire man totally lit
Hopefully I can find time too, but I think it's gonna be last minute
je suis un pomme frite

Last edited by BALLZ!; 18-12-2016 at 12:36 AM..

------------------
tsxfgijhkt,ygt54esdy6hn
Old 20-12-2016, 11:15 PM   #18
BALLZ!
nob Twiddler
խելագար սեւահեր

final stretch bump! couple more hours

------------------
tsxfgijhkt,ygt54esdy6hn
Old 21-12-2016, 12:23 AM   #19
BALLZ!
nob Twiddler
խելագար սեւահեր

Wanted more variation, but I'm tired and don't have much time

------------------
tsxfgijhkt,ygt54esdy6hn
Old 21-12-2016, 12:59 AM   #20
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver
MC Status: 6360

Nice one ballz, solid effort!

Here's my little stream of consciousness turdy jam i churned out just now.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------
7asid is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote