Hardware "One Box" Challenge
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 09-04-2016, 02:24 AM   #1
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8508130
Thanked 6,344 Times in 4,551 Posts
Hardware "One Box" Challenge

Alright, so, this is the result of an idea I threw out in the Original Hardware Mega Thread.

The focus of this "one box" challenge is imposing limitations--as I hear tell from the interwebz that is supposed to foster creativity. So the original proposal was the folks with hardware would use, more or less, a single piece of hardware to make a continuous EP length piece of live music. We dropped a lot of these requirements, so come back and listen if you were put off and don't worry software people, we will get you involved, hang with me.

There was some concerned voiced that using something like an Octatrack or MPC-- and later we decided computers were OK as they do in fact constitute a single box. -- might be cheating. And I said, hey, look, I came up with this mad scheme where I'm going to do this long, self indulgent dub techno exploration that will make people who also hate jazz murder a puppy for satan...but I digress...

I came up with this mad scheme and just thought it would be more fun if some of ya'll joined in. Lets keep it casual. Use your Octatrack, MPC or computer and just come up with your own set of fairly strict limitations. Someone smartly suggested using only Drumracks in Ableton to make a song. Sounds cool to me. I've got other ITB limitation ideas I can post if anyone needs them.

I think it would be cool if we maybe brought all the finished projects together, titled the lot and added to the pile of musical detritus scattered across the googlescape. It'd probably also be neat to get a little write up from everyone about their experience and what limitations they imposed.

Shit as far as I'm concerned this is something that can kind of just live in this thread if you want. Finish at your own pace and post here? Thoughts? Comments? Fuck off relic?

Last edited by relic; 09-05-2016 at 05:54 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:56 AM   #2
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42260
Re: "One Box" Challenge/Compliation/Relic's Crazed Rantings

Sounds cool to me. Albeit, I itching to go all out with my boxes as they're all pretty new.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:17 AM   #3
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

This can totally be a rolling project, so if you arent ready yet, no worries. I got started today on my A4.

------------------
Old 09-04-2016, 03:34 AM   #4
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 21360

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Sounds cool to me. Albeit, I itching to go all out with my boxes as they're all pretty new.
Well, I am going to use this to learn, slowly, the octatrack so maybe choose your newest, or least familiar piece and go with that!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
relic (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 03:57 AM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Well, I am going to use this to learn, slowly, the octatrack so maybe choose your newest, or least familiar piece and go with that!
I'll sample the Avalon. Defo using the Octa.

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
relic (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 04:10 AM   #6
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6894159
Thanked 3,299 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I've got other ITB limitation ideas I can post if anyone needs them.
One soft-synth with output ping-ponged to four audio tracks only.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
relic (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 04:30 AM   #7
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
One soft-synth with output ping-ponged to four audio tracks only.
That is a good one.

Another would be four audio tracks only. Overdubs ok. Four mixer tracks only. One drum machine/sampler/synth only.

------------------
Old 09-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744006041
Thanked 6,772 Times in 4,221 Posts

Make it a single track each so that you actually have a chance of someone completing this sometime this decade.

No but seriously, if you guys can put something decent together then this could be IDMf049 as far as I'm concerned. It would be great to see the community take the initiative and come together for an LP of it's own making.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #9
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269443608
Thanked 2,400 Times in 1,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Make it a single track each so that you actually have a chance of someone completing this sometime this decade.
He's got a point. Let's not aim for an ep length mix on a single box, let's aim for 1 single finished track in a box.

I'm personally in favour of doing this hardware only, no computer, but whatever rocks your boat.

In the spirit of IDMf compilations, should we keep the releases 'secret'?

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
lolirl (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #10
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

I'm not trying to hijack the thread or the idea.
Why not continue on with the spirit of what was intended and when/if it's successful and viable we move to round 2 for proposed 049?
Earn it yo!
Old 09-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #11
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
He's got a point. Let's not aim for an ep length mix on a single box, let's aim for 1 single finished track in a box.

I'm personally in favour of doing this hardware only, no computer, but whatever rocks your boat.
Don't be so closed minded. It's a box, too. We'll just give them crap for cheating with all the FX loaded and for the lack of that analog warmth.

------------------

Old 09-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #12
lolirl

Don't be retarded.
The whole one box thing comes from the ITB/OTB debate, where the computer is "the box".
I think this whole thread has suffered from crossed wires from the get go.

If you want to do a contest based on using mainly one device, the easiest way to "prove" that would be just to video a small section of the track playing from the device and up it next to a link to the track.

If your one box is a computer then you should probably state one VST in the rules too because otherwise wtf?

Using a computer with free reign makes this open rules basically.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #13
purplefish
Master of the LFO
purplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MC
Ghent
MC Status: 11210

Sounds fun, I'm down.

I think allowing for DAWs kinda ruins the concept. The whole point of such a limitation to me would be to explore the boundries of a piece of gear. I would say 1 hardware box, no post fx/mastering/montage. Whole track has to be recorded straight from the device in one take.

For owners of an Octatrack, OP-1, MPC or similar it might not make a huge difference, since you can construct a track on them faily easily. But if you're just using a synth or drummachine I can see this challenge really good for training more classic song writing & perfoming skills and exploring the possibilties of your box.

Last edited by purplefish; 09-04-2016 at 03:13 PM..

------------------
my drawings/music/videos/stuff: http://www.floodcomics.com/
purplefish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #14
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960

Outboard fx (pedals) allowed ?

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #15
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

good points/ideas all around. probably cant respond properly today, family party for the holiday

------------------
Old 09-05-2016, 05:13 AM   #16
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

Oh ffs! I spent the morning making a few patterns and variations on the octatrack for this thing and now I did something wrong and lost all but the original! Shit, while I see the potential, this thing (the octatrack that is!) is kinda kicking my ass a little.
On the plus side I figured out how to sample the guitar in it. I don't know why but it was super convoluted to get and with external clock it seemed to not want to play nice but got it eventually!
I think the easiest might be to set it up with the MPC into a thru track and use that as a metronome and use the count in on there!
Argh bit of a rant but man am I disappointed I lost those patterns, nothing I won't be able to get similar results too fairly quickly but still.

------------------
Old 09-05-2016, 05:25 AM   #17
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Oh and @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, is there a timeline for this idea of yours?

------------------
Old 09-05-2016, 05:30 AM   #18
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Oh and @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, is there a timeline for this idea of yours?
I was thinking it was maybe a finish at your own pace and share results here in the thread thing, but it seems to have involved into something else entirely. At this point whatever interested forum members can agree on seems best.

------------------
Old 09-05-2016, 06:03 AM   #19
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45936231
Thanked 5,561 Times in 3,512 Posts

I refuse to use less than ten computers for this!
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #20
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 155560
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,316 Posts

WTF? guys, this isn't going to fly unless the rules are set out more clearly..I mean, saying "in the box" is cool, but even that seems to have caused some confusion/debate.

Personally, I'm not sure what's what at the moment. I'm a PC "in the box" person, so I take from everything posted so far that I can use only one synth / vst, with no added FX plugins. So does that mean I take only one sample / preset and them try to be as creative as possible in order to make a track using that one sound?

If so, isn't this just another take on the already running IDMf Beat Battles?

Also..and I think this is an important point, if history is anything to go by..you're going to need to set some sort of deadline..if not, folks will just drift away, as life kicks in and takes up their time on other stuff.

Just saying..

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote