Unfinished projects
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 19-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
djfablebr
Minor Glitch
djfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the rough
Goiania
MC Status: 310
Unfinished projects

I was going through all my data folder in FL studio and i realized that i have way to many unfinished stuff. If you got a dollar for every project that have not been finished, how rich would you be?

Fable

Advertisements

djfablebr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184410
Thanked 3,688 Times in 2,749 Posts
Re: Unfinished projects

Currently? About $350..but then each of those aren't really unfinished..just have yet to be finished.

To me there's a big difference between the two terms..one (Unfinished) referees to tracks that have been abandoned, while the latter refers to those tracks that ae still an on-going project and will be finished at some stage.

I don't think I have anything that I've never used or come back and salvaged at some stage..that's just how I work, I guess.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Narukami Music (20-07-2016)
Old 19-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

Maybe 80. Windows is telling me when I select all my project folders that I have 105 folders. 1/3 of those in my humble estimation are finished and released songs, leaving about 70-80 unfinished ones. Some are all pretty much done save for things like solos (if it's that kind of project) and vocals, then mixing them properly.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42388349
Thanked 5,087 Times in 3,317 Posts

Earth. Still not finished. Its why the fuckers stranded me here.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 7010

None, $0.00. I finish everything in my dreams

------------------
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 666
vashima (23-07-2016)
Old 19-07-2016, 08:21 PM   #6
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 117360
Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,372 Posts

I started labeling them as numbers after clean re-install and I reached "project 45" yesterday. 9 tracks are probably done so $36.

------------------
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
A.M (20-07-2016)
Old 19-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #7
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

I delete the projects that don't work out, but I usually sample parts of them to use later. It works out OK that way. Even some of my finished projects aren't really finished, I just couldn't figure out how to fix up the last few issues with them or got burned out on overdubbing for so many days.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
Jaded (20-07-2016)
Old 20-07-2016, 12:57 AM   #8
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

$180 Going through all these ideas is fun, though. As everyone else said, sometimes you can salvage good ideas from tracks you've long abandoned and use them in another. It's really cool in that respect.

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #9
djfablebr
Minor Glitch
djfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the rough
Goiania

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Currently? About $350..but then each of those aren't really unfinished..just have yet to be finished.

To me there's a big difference between the two terms..one (Unfinished) referees to tracks that have been abandoned, while the latter refers to those tracks that ae still an on-going project and will be finished at some stage.

I don't think I have anything that I've never used or come back and salvaged at some stage..that's just how I work, I guess.

You have a good point there, maybe i can salvage some but im like 240$ in already heh

Fable
Old 20-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #10
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfablebr View Post
You have a good point there, maybe i can salvage some but im like 240$ in already heh

Fable
The basic rule is don't sump anything..just keep it all in a folder somewhere.

If you're stuck for space, then alternatively, get in the habit of taking some time out every now and again and just go through those files you've built up..just listen to them and see if you like anything about each one. I'm not taking about trying to come up with a new track from them or anything like that..just look for bits that sound cool to you, dump what you don't like and re-save those bits you do into a new folder called "good stuff" or something like that..so you know exactly where to look the next time you start a track and are looking for some elements for it.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Nystagmus (20-07-2016)
Old 20-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #11
djfablebr
Minor Glitch
Goiania

Quote:
The basic rule is don't sump anything..just keep it all in a folder somewhere.

If you're stuck for space, then alternatively, get in the habit of taking some time out every now and again and just go through those files you've built up..just listen to them and see if you like anything about each one. I'm not taking about trying to come up with a new track from them or anything like that..just look for bits that sound cool to you, dump what you don't like and re-save those bits you do into a new folder called "good stuff" or something like that..so you know exactly where to look the next time you start a track and are looking for some elements for it.

I actually have a folder for songs that im stuck in the drop called "missdrop" and songs that im stuck on the verse: "missverse" and the "junk" file which ia actually some ideas, and on to of that my foder for current projects. But there are songs that im stuck in for a looong time, and others that have missing files because at some point i switched pcs and lost stuff, really sad.

Fable
Thanks to djfablebr
Nystagmus (20-07-2016)
Old 20-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #12
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfablebr View Post
I actually have a folder for songs that im stuck in the drop called "missdrop" and songs that im stuck on the verse: "missverse" and the "junk" file which ia actually some ideas, and on to of that my foder for current projects. But there are songs that im stuck in for a looong time, and others that have missing files because at some point i switched pcs and lost stuff, really sad.

Fable
You need to be tough on yourself and start consolidating those folders down a big..so you end up with only two..one for "current projects" and one for everything else..otherwise you'll just keep making new folders and never tackle the files that are building up on your HD.

Mind you, even then you need to remember to actually visit that folder on a regular basis, not just from time to time. or you'll end up forgetting all about them and end up right back where you started..with a ton of files that are doing anything and are going nowhere..

------------------
Old 23-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #13
djfablebr
Minor Glitch
Goiania

Quote:
You need to be tough on yourself and start consolidating those folders down a big..so you end up with only two..one for "current projects" and one for everything else..otherwise you'll just keep making new folders and never tackle the files that are building up on your HD.

Mind you, even then you need to remember to actually visit that folder on a regular basis, not just from time to time. or you'll end up forgetting all about them and end up right back where you started..with a ton of files that are doing anything and are going nowhere..

Yeah, i guess youre right. Sometimes i go through stuff and just feel like: omg, i didnt even remember that i started this, and end up losing stuff. Ill be stricter.

Fable
Thanks to djfablebr
A.M (23-07-2016)
Old 23-07-2016, 11:23 PM   #14
sterioevo
Regular Freak
sterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud of
Tamworth
MC Status: 1194

i went through a process a year or so ago where I had about 60 unfinished tracks that I merged into 30. I created some artificial parameters such as a maximum of 16 tracks per track. If there were left over channels I would copy into the next merge.
I have now finished and released 10 of these tracks with the next 10 hopefully churned out in the next 3 months. I found some happy accidents and had to be ruthless on other occasions. As part of the finalisation of tracks I am saving all the presets for later use.
sterioevo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to sterioevo
Nystagmus (27-07-2016)
Old 27-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #15
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

there is some classic advice in this thread. nice creativity of workflow!

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #16
Honey_A
Learning The Ropes
Honey_A is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

It's strange but every time I start sth new, I'm going through the all process with the idea like it should be done. When I'm fascinated with chords or synths I've made (yeah, sounds creepy) then I'm doing all my best when it comes about structure of a song, because mostly it's the most difficult part for me. So generally it should be like 20-25$, all "earned" 3-4 years ago when my hard drive just broke down. I remember my first ever project ulala…it was amazing, full of different reverb plugins so that u couldn't hear what was going on there really hahaha
Honey_A is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Honey_A - Hangover
Old 11-08-2016, 06:58 AM   #17
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8610

500$ if i include 1 pattern projects around 2k $

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #18
LichLord
Microknight
LichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1910

I have quite the number, but I usually end saving the pattern scores/MIDI Data and recycling them for newer projects as it's a case where the older projects had good ideas in them but lacking the execution to make them into a full piece.

------------------

| Band Name: LichLord | Genre: Electro-Industrial | | Gear List: Here! |
| Album Currently In Development - Estimated Release: Whenever It's Done! |
| Electro-Industrial Composer | Cinematic Composing | Power Fry Vocalist |
LichLord is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #19
Jonahh
Learning The Ropes
Jonahh is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

about 10 or so, I usually end up sitting with a track and finishing it eventually no matter how frustrating it gets.
Jonahh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #20
istinspring
Minor Glitch
istinspring has a spectacular aura aboutistinspring has a spectacular aura about
Ko Samui / Thailand
MC Status: 160

you could resample cool parts from this projects to reuse it in your next.

Advertisements

istinspring is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote