PC acting strange
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 07-16-2016, 06:12 AM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 159160
Thanked 3,183 Times in 2,379 Posts
PC acting strange

First off, I'm running a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit system that was built specifically to be a studio workstation .

It's got an Intel i7 3770 CPU running at 3.40 GHz..32 GBs of RAM and a multi (4 ) drives, with two monitors/screens (..the one desktop spread across both of them).

I have it now for a few years with only a few minor little issues during that time, which I've been able to sort out myself or with the help of one of you gifted bright sods on here.

Now, over the best part of the last two weeks, I noticed something strange. It started with my mouse buttons doing weird shit..basically clicking the left button would cause the right button actions to happen. I'd ran into something like this in the past and applied the standard fix for it..or so I thought.

Shit has now escalated to where whenever I boot up my system the task bar never pops up and remains hidden. Also, while this is happening, anything I open over on the left screen freezes or elements of it stop working..such as knobs / buttons / faders in VSTs.

I discovered purely by accident that if I press Ctrl+Alt+Del and then open Task Manager from the onscreen menu, task manager opens on the right screen and is the active window. Then when I move the mouse back over to left screen and click on the frozen window / program, it works nearly perfectly. In some cases I need to close a VST and open it again in order to use turn the next knob I want to use.

Also I've been having an on-going problem with NI's Kontatk, where it keeps giving me a crash message, yet it remains running without any obvious side effects following the message I just mentioned.

I contacted NI support about this and we exchanged polite messages back and forth, but it basically resulted in them telling to stop using all registry cleaning software and third party uninstallers, as they can sometimes remove files NI products need to run.

Now I'm very careful when it comes to using programs like those and they're there for a reason..mainly to remove shite installed or left behind by less than tidy / honest programs. It's not like I don't know how to use them or am totally green in that area..I mean I habitually check EVERY THING before it is deleted or removed. Besides, I hadn't used any of the programs they mentioned before this all started to happen.

Since then I've tried everything I can think of..I've run various scanners, online programs and pre-boot loaders to find if anything is hiding on my system..nothing..100% clean.

I've checked my drivers and updated any that needed to be updated..including those from NI..still the same.

I've checked the system's drive in case it was starting to fail or something like that..nope..it's working fine by all accounts.

I've searched online and can't find anything that remotely comes close to this issue..nothing.

Basically, this is a last-ditch attempt at seeking help / advice before I jump into a complete system format and reinstall of everything..something I'm not looking forward to having to do.

For the record, I'm not saying all the issues I've mentioned are related, but it really appears that way to me, even though I can't seem to find any cause. If anyone reading this has any idea what the fuck is wrong my system, I'd really love to hear what you have to say.

Just to be clear, before anyone brings it up..no..I didn't install anything recently that might have caused a conflict..my system was working fine one day and acting like this the next.

Anyway..if you've read this far, then you already have my gratitude, but here's hoping somebody can shine a light on this problem I just can't seem to solve.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #2
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6897259
Thanked 3,361 Times in 2,040 Posts
Re: PC acting strange

Well, the right / left mouse button thing sounds like the mouse settings are inverted so check the control panel.

Same for the task bar. Sounds like the auto-hide setting is active or it's been moved to another desktop.

For the left / right screen thing, again it sounds like some settings have been changed around.

I don't know man, everyone says Windows is great because it's so customisable. But everyone I know who changes anything from the default ends up with these problems. Win works great out of the box... that's all

As for NI's advice... If you've edited the registry in any way, you're pretty much screwed and should save yourself the time and heartache by just doing the clean install.

Never ever ever ever edit the registry because Windows is shite.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
A.M (07-17-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #3
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744010691
Thanked 6,865 Times in 4,279 Posts

Sometimes you need to do a reg edit to remove the last remaining remnants of software that came with a bad uninstall.

Just sounds like a virus to me.

You know what to do.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
A.M (07-17-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #4
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 111010
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,297 Posts

You better start backing up your stuff before it's too late. I believe clean install is always the best solution if so many bad things start happening at once. Try running you files through Malwarebytes and then through Trojan Remover (you can use trial version just for scanning your computer once, and that's pretty much enough).

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
A.M (07-17-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 6860

Agreed about backing up / reformatting when multiple things go sour at once. Mystery bugs will steal more time than they're worth, otherwise

------------------
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 666
A.M (07-17-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #6
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42357949
Thanked 4,479 Times in 2,936 Posts

Hang on, let me remove my snoopware.

Try now.

------------------
This mind intentionally blank.
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:36 PM   #7
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Hang on, let me remove my snoopware.

Try now.
So that's why my computer's being acting high as fuck... because it's high as fuck.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:

satan = f i d

* I am not God.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Thanks guys..each of ya..mean it.

The perfect situation in my mind is to be able to use all the Windows-based VSTs I have over in a Linux distro, but that's not really 100% possible..yet. I know there's Wine and other offerings like it, but none of them work 100% either all of the time, which is not really an ideal alternative.

But I guess that's what I'm waiting for..somebody to come out with some way of bridging Windows-based VSTs over to Linux that is practically 100% reliable..the day that happens, you won't see my arse for dust..I'll be making the move so fast!

As for backing stuff up..one of the drives I have is just that..a back up of the C drvie. Actually, my next step is to try and restore the C drive from the last backup I did to that other drive. If that fails or the issues remain after it, then I'll just get on with it and do a full format / re-install of everything.

If I do end up doing that, then I guess you can expect to see a few more posts from me on here over the coming weeks, seeking help with drvies and God knows what the hell else..

------------------
Old 07-18-2016, 02:17 AM   #9
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Well worry not A.M. because it's coming soon.

U-He's been in open beta for about two years on Linux. Microsoft just open sourced .Net and it runs on Linux. Valve's all in with their SteamOS (which is Debian) so hopefully we get some serious GPU love too.

It's only a matter of time until it's possible to run Windows stuff natively in Linux.

I should say sorry for all the Windows bashing too. It's not that I dislike it so much as it shits me to maintain it so usually when something goes wrong, I just re-image my system drive...

------------------
For reference:
Quote:

satan = f i d

* I am not God.
Thanks to Jaded
A.M (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Well worry not A.M. because it's coming soon.

U-He's been in open beta for about two years on Linux. Microsoft just open sourced .Net and it runs on Linux. Valve's all in with their SteamOS (which is Debian) so hopefully we get some serious GPU love too.

It's only a matter of time until it's possible to run Windows stuff natively in Linux.

I should say sorry for all the Windows bashing too. It's not that I dislike it so much as it shits me to maintain it so usually when something goes wrong, I just re-image my system drive...
No worries, J, on the bashing front..even though I use Windows, I think it sucks ass big time..I guess it's just a personal thing, though, as everyone has their own views anyway.

Regarding my problem..last night I tried to recovering the drive image I'd backed up over onto another drive a while back..no joy. The issue is still there, which is strange, as it wasn't there at the time the back-up was made to the other drive.

I just checked and it seems the process has deleted the previous system restore points as well, as when I opened up that feature, there's now a message telling me none have yet been created on my system.

I REALLY didn't want to get into formatting / system reinstall, but it's looking like I now have no other choice!

------------------
Old 07-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #11
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I REALLY didn't want to get into formatting / system reinstall, but it's looking like I now have no other choice!
well, it's like cleaning your entire house, I don't want to but it's for the better. It sucks when you have many programs because you need to re-install them all and it's the least exciting thing ever. Sometimes it takes an entire day to do it, not gonna mention windows updates that takes plenty of time to download. However, at least the final result is great - you're just starting fresh once again, everything is so clean and tidy, plenty of room and desktop is finally empty! Sweet, I can jam it with new folders for a next year or two!

------------------
Old 07-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #12
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
well, it's like cleaning your entire house, I don't want to but it's for the better. It sucks when you have many programs because you need to re-install them all and it's the least exciting thing ever. Sometimes it takes an entire day to do it, not gonna mention windows updates that takes plenty of time to download. However, at least the final result is great - you're just starting fresh once again, everything is so clean and tidy, plenty of room and desktop is finally empty! Sweet, I can jam it with new folders for a next year or two!
If only my apartment could stay clean for 2 years. I'd have so much more time for reformatting

This also teaches you what you can really do without, IMO. Making music with less (or living with less) is sometimes for the better.

------------------
Old 07-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #13
ms_
Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
If only my apartment could stay clean for 2 years. I'd have so much more time for reformatting
just sweep everything under the carpet with broom.exe

------------------
Old 07-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #14
A.M

I'm about to start an "in place" upgrade..hopefully it will sort things out, though if this all proves to be some sort of script conflict between certain VSTs, then it's not going to do much.

------------------
Old 07-18-2016, 04:09 PM   #15
Knob Twiddler
#Quit IDMf

Upgrading to 10?

I actually had a whole host of problems with VST's, M4L and other shit when I was using 8.1. Somehow (I will never know why) everything resolved with 10. Score one, super tiny point for Windoze

------------------
Thanks to 666
Numerical (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #16
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Upgrading to 10?

I actually had a whole host of problems with VST's, M4L and other shit when I was using 8.1. Somehow (I will never know why) everything resolved with 10. Score one, super tiny point for Windoze
Nope..sticking with Win 7Pro 64 bit..tried 10 and didn't like it in the end..too bloody handy at making upgrades in the background and changing shit each time.

The "in place upgrade" thing is basically where you re-install Windows from the official disk, without needing to format the drive first..so you get to keep all third party progs and settings and just install Windows anew.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
666 (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #17
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
No worries, J, on the bashing front..even though I use Windows, I think it sucks ass big time..I guess it's just a personal thing, though, as everyone has their own views anyway.
Honestly, if Apple supported Mac OS on non Macs, Windows' market share would be obliterated overnight. The only barrier to entry is the price points for their hardware. Not saying that from a Windows V OSX debate perspective. But just from the fact that any OS running a Unix/Linux kernel is kick ass over everything else.

Quote:
My advice, do a clean install then boot up using a USB or CD OS (don't know if you can do this in Win but you could use a Linux distro) and take a full image of the system drive. If you've got SSD it's far less painful than ye olde HDD's.

When I used to run my studio rig on Windows I would basically wipe the system drive any time I wanted to install something, reimage with my day one backup, install the new software, then overwrite the day one image. Then every month or two, just reimage again.

Obviously if you store your home folders on your system drive you'd have to back up before overwriting.

But it works and that machine always ran smoother than any other Win install I've had because it was always less than four weeks old.

Only caveat is I found it impractical to apply this to machines which aren't dedicated to a purpose (like production). Mainly due to the time it took and also due to all of the little things that you assimilate when browsing or doing other more general computing.

The former is probably not so much of an issue today. Cloning my relatively full 7,200rpm 500GB HDD to a 500GB SSD only took a couple of hours. After that I moved most of my library files (Logic, NI, Omni etc) to the second drive and subsequent reimages only take about half an hour (~150-250GB).

The latter is probably not such an issue these days either given all of the "cloud" / synchronisation stuff that ships with modern browsers and apps like Office etc...

Quote:
I'm about to start an "in place" upgrade..hopefully it will sort things out, though if this all proves to be some sort of script conflict between certain VSTs, then it's not going to do much.
Fingers crossed it works. Though my past experience makes me suspect the issue will still be there given the upgrade process. Like if it's a registry error, then that will be carried over with the new OS.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:

satan = f i d

* I am not God.
Thanks to Jaded
A.M (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #18
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
..Like if it's a registry error, then that will be carried over with the new OS.
^This

I'm hoping this won't be the case..but you know what they say.."Sod's Law" and all that.

------------------
Old 07-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #19
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8010

backup your things and reinstall windows, and stop downloading cracked soft and porn

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #20
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
backup your things and reinstall windows, and stop downloading cracked soft and porn
Did you even read this thread before posting?

Advertisements

------------------