feeling better in a foreign DAW?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:23 AM   #1
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20510
feeling better in a foreign DAW?

I don't know why, but I feel like lately, music has become uninteresting and unentertaining.
so I decided to try out something different from ableton for once and bought logic pro x, I feel much better about producing in general.

but the same exact thing happened moving from fl studio to ableton, am i the problem? will I even be able to move back to ableton?

Advertisements

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540830
Thanked 6,998 Times in 4,973 Posts
Re: feeling better in a foreign DAW?

New gear can be a great way to make the process feel fresh again, it can just get to be an expensive habit. I about every six months I change up how much hardware/software I'm using.

Also, totes jelly of Logic X just because Apple bought Camel Audio Alchemy...

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
New gear can be a great way to make the process feel fresh again, it can just get to be an expensive habit. I about every six months I change up how much hardware/software I'm using.

yeah I messed around with the preset synths for a little while and am in the process of making a track with it, but it just feels wrong being outside of ableton, a program which I love more than I ever loved any DAW before it.

keep in mind I started with reaper, which is very basic. (compared to ableton and FL 11)

------------------

Old 08-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #4
F000L
Granular Poster
F000L is just really niceF000L is just really niceF000L is just really niceF000L is just really nice
Cologne
MC Status: 360

i kinda got the problem in reverse...im a logic user and i love working with logic! but i got the feeling that there are a lot of things missing in logic, which can be found in ableton. like the cool warp function with its pretty cool algorithms. the ones in logic are sometimes not what im searching for and also things like: i cant reverse a clip, when its in flex mode...or not being able to just transpose clips, instead i have to use a plugin and automate it...etc

but i also dont like ableton that much for producing...so i thought of using both in a way. maybe just doing overall arranging and stuff in logic and specific effects in abelton..or using rewire.
but i know the feeling of being totally motivated when using a foreign daw. and i guess its nothing to worry.
F000L is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:16 AM   #5
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 13860

Similar things happened to me (think it was last year) - I was somehow stuck, or it appeared to me that way, so I decided to try another DAW. And even though Reaper didn't have a mega-functional Sampler like Ableton has - There was so much fresh energy...So I tried Studio One next - Amazing much wow choosing waveforms from a context menu for automation wow the looks yay tempo automation....Well when my Laptop broke down during a performance test with Studio One, I went back straight to Ableton Live, that I've been using since version 4. Happy with Live and my production again since then...
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
Luke_Nukem
Granular Poster
Luke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Yeah I've totally found this in the past. Switching things up forces you to change your workflow which can be more interesting and lets you come up with fresh stuff... I like to mess about with other DAWs occassionally although I'm always back to using Reaper eventually. Maybe i should move on, but it does everything I need really!

------------------
Luke_Nukem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #7
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

Yeah, this is a valid phenomenon.
Each DAW has different strengths.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #8
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536127
Thanked 1,958 Times in 1,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post

Have you got a Mac?

If so get Apple Mainstage from the App store. It requires a little working around to get it going but its all of the logic instruments w no sequencing or DAW, its designed for using as a live keyboard rig.

Incredible amount of instruments for $40.

I use IAC bus to send midi from Ableton to it and can loop back the audio into Ableton to track. Its latent at that point but I'm not mad, I can adjust the start points for the audio in editing. NBD.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
Have you got a Mac?

If so get Apple Mainstage from the App store. It requires a little working around to get it going but its all of the logic instruments w no sequencing or DAW, its designed for using as a live keyboard rig.

Incredible amount of instruments for $40.

I use IAC bus to send midi from Ableton to it and can loop back the audio into Ableton to track. Its latent at that point but I'm not mad, I can adjust the start points for the audio in editing. NBD.
I have an iPad. Will probably upgrade to a Mac for my next studio computer though.

------------------
Old 09-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #10
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269464808
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,871 Posts

The IPad is such a brilliant and inspiring tool

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
relic (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 05:02 AM   #11
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I need to force myself to dive in but there is something about touch screen that turns me off as far as music. ..which I know is absurd

------------------
Old 10-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #12
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52310
Thanked 1,046 Times in 771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Completely agree. I think now that I am moving towards integration of hardware it's time to complete the loop and integrate the iPad as another instrument. There are some really unique synths and sound generators available on iOS. Mersenne, Sparkle, iDensity, Flux:fx, SP Pro, Droneo, Mobile Dandy, and Dedalus to just name my favorites.

Taking things OTB certainly changes up things. But also the addition of dedicated hardware controllers. Maschine has utterly changed my workflow. It's not a DAW, but I now compose and arrange exclusively in Maschine (up until I added hardware, that is) and use Logic for mixing and mastering.

The ability to seamlessly integrate and interact with your software makes Maschine a very powerful tool. It's a synth, a sampler, a playable effects engine that you can physically interact with. It is brilliant.

There are few things more satisfying than to push those silicone pads to make a sound while tweaking it at the turn of a knob. Now that I do have dedicated hardware I can say from experience that interacting with Maschine feels very much the same way as with a dedicated hardware synth. Even the pads on the Tempest feel and respond the same way.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #13
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 13860

Quick question for you Maschinists - If I'd get a Maschine Mk2 - Besides having the Maschine software, it would also allow me to control Reaktor (newest update brings CV/Gate) with the Maschine controller and sequencer plus the ability to use NKS, right?
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #14
JamesJulius
Regular Freak
JamesJulius has a spectacular aura aboutJamesJulius has a spectacular aura aboutJamesJulius has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

If it keeps it fresh and works for you, that's all that matters! For me, working in other DAWs definitely affects the kind of music I make in a way I don't think I can really explain, although it's similar to the way the colours I'm surrounded by or I'm working with also affect the music significantly.

However, I don't think it makes sense to deliberately switch DAW just to fix a creative block, as you should find other ways to circumvent that while maintaining your DAW as presumably mastery of one/several will greatly help your technique
JamesJulius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to JamesJulius
relic (20-06-2016)
Old 20-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #15
aLiner
Knob Twiddler
aLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond repute
Galway
MC Status: 2810

I changed from FL to Reaper and it feels much, much better. It's more user friendly, more comfortable to work with and the skin in the latest version is really nice. I think that if producing becomes uninteresting though, it mostly means you should change the way you do things.

Last edited by aLiner; 20-06-2016 at 05:48 PM..
aLiner is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #16
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aLiner View Post
I changed from FL to Reaper and it feels much, much better. It's more user friendly, more comfortable to work with and the skin in the latest version is really nice.
I started with reaper because it was the cheapest, I hate the midi editing, since my music is comprised of samples and synthedit projects, having a good piano roll is pretty important for me.

------------------

Thanks to mute machine
Nystagmus (20-06-2016)
Old 20-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #17
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38897

I've made shit only on fl studio for 10 or more years and I absolutely hate it.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 06:23 PM   #18
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctoast View Post
I've made shit only on fl studio for 10 or more years and I absolutely hate it.
why stick with it then?

------------------

Old 05-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #19
Buzz BassDesign
Minor Glitch
Buzz BassDesign is a jewel in the roughBuzz BassDesign is a jewel in the roughBuzz BassDesign is a jewel in the roughBuzz BassDesign is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

I know the feeling I like to switch to Ableton Live when I get tired of producing with FL Studio even tho I love FL, it just gets tiring seeing the same interface over and over again.
Some of us are just not one man DAW kind of people .
Buzz BassDesign is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:49 PM   #20
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 107900
Thanked 2,132 Times in 1,386 Posts

I know this isn't really what you are talking about but the thread title caught my eye hard because the first electronic music tunes I ever made involved a mix of a some shitty programs I got off my Swiss buddy including a German language version of Magix Music Maker. It was hillarious trying to figure out how to do everything just by clicking everything to see what happens.

So you should ramp it up and maybe change the language settings in your DAW - I think that would really offer you a new challenge.

Advertisements

Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote