How many VST instruments?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 05-21-2015, 07:00 AM   #1
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65310
Thanked 1,306 Times in 985 Posts
Icon5 How many VST instruments?

How many VST instruments do you use and what's an ideal number for you?

I'm just kinda curious because I'm rebuilding my DAW and I don't want to overdo it with VSTi's so I might not install all of them from my archives.

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
jVs (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #2
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105316639
Re: How many VST instruments

I'm not going to lie, I've a bit of an addiction when it comes to collecting the VST. I don't however regret it. I generally have my primary go to's: DaHornet, FM7, Massive, and the Korg legacy collection, so upwards to 10, give or take a few because I am always doing something with a random vst.

------------------
Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
Nystagmus (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 07:27 AM   #3
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65310
Thanked 1,306 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jVs View Post
I'm not going to lie, I've a bit of an addiction when it comes to collecting the VST. I don't however regret it. I generally have my primary go to's: DaHornet, FM7, Massive, and the Korg legacy collection, so upwards to 10, give or take a few because I am always doing something with a random vst.
Yeah I can relate. In the past I've been very addicted to collecting freeware VSTi's also. But I know last year I had a phase where I mostly only used Synth1 VSTi and Toxic Biohazard.

But as soon as I download some DSK synths that adds up to at least 5 or 6 more. And then I use Guzheng Classic for shamisen sounds or whatnot. And then Azeta66 for sinewave bass. And then Rogue for industrial synth sounds... etc etc. And I paid for a few others.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
jVs (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38747

I use samples 100% of the time.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:34 AM   #5
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

AS far as VSTi( and still have a few DXi's I use) it has be in the over 100 range by now.I do not know what is coming my way so over time I have had to pick up things to use.Collection grew quickly.You do not want to know how many VST's I have..now that is scary..My go to's change depending on what I have at my desk at the time so I really do not have a rule of thumb.

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
Yeah I can relate. In the past I've been very addicted to collecting freeware VSTi's also. But I know last year I had a phase where I mostly only used Synth1 VSTi and Toxic Biohazard.

But as soon as I download some DSK synths that adds up to at least 5 or 6 more. And then I use Guzheng Classic for shamisen sounds or whatnot. And then Azeta66 for sinewave bass. And then Rogue for industrial synth sounds... etc etc. And I paid for a few others.
That's awesome! FM7 and the KLC were gifted to me by my ex brother in law, We would often trade plugins and what not. He was a really cool guy and I hate that I lost contact with him. But sometimes, thus is life.

------------------
Make synths 1984 again.
Thanks to jVs
Nystagmus (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153410
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,151 Posts

I've never found a softsynth I liked, so I'll count 1 for The Mangle.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #8
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 30960

Do you guys know about this guy? I get some really angry sounds out of him. I use it in Kontakt player and then bounce the sounds down before the 15 mins is up.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #9
EdenC
EdenC is a splendid one to beholdEdenC is a splendid one to beholdEdenC is a splendid one to beholdEdenC is a splendid one to beholdEdenC is a splendid one to beholdEdenC is a splendid one to behold
UK
MC Status: 660
Re: How many VST instruments?

I've been using less per track recently. Maybe only 1 bass (body+sub) 1-2 melodic and a pad. Then samples for drums and possibly some extras for ear candy.

I have many actual VST's sitting around that I don't use though, Harmless, Toxic, sytrus, and 3xOsc are my go-to's.
EdenC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #10
jVs
IDMf Supporter
Scruffy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmotor View Post
Do you guys know about this guy? I get some really angry sounds out of him. I use it in Kontakt player and then bounce the sounds down before the 15 mins is up.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

That looks to be quite the fancy, I will check that out for sure!

------------------
Make synths 1984 again.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:21 PM   #11
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8507530
Thanked 6,332 Times in 4,545 Posts

As far as synths go I have way more than I use...but...as for what I use.

Absynth
Alchemy
Razor
Monark
3xOSC
Kontakt (if you count that as one, I use it for no synth instruments).

I think if you know what you are doing, have a firm grasp on synthesis, and have a sound in mind, having a dozen (or even more) VST synths around isn't an issue. I think the VST collecting rabbit hole is *mostly* a problem for beginners.

For example, I almost exclusively use Monark for deep bass. Razor for weird, modulated mid-range, Absynth and Alchemy for almost everything. Kontakt, as I said, for the multi-sample instruments. But that doesn't mean I don't pull out something else occasionally.

The synths I listed are the only ones I keep in FL Studio's "menu" if I want something else I make myself dig for it each time. Which means I usually try my go-tos first and if they don't cut it I try something else in the collection.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Str8Jaketed (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 07:23 PM   #12
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
As far as synths go I have way more than I use...but...as for what I use.

Absynth
Alchemy
Razor
Monark
3xOSC
Kontakt (if you count that as one, I use it for no synth instruments).

I think if you know what you are doing, have a firm grasp on synthesis, and have a sound in mind, having a dozen (or even more) VST synths around isn't an issue. I think the VST collecting rabbit hole is *mostly* a problem for beginners.

For example, I almost exclusively use Monark for deep bass. Razor for weird, modulated mid-range, Absynth and Alchemy for almost everything. Kontakt, as I said, for the multi-sample instruments. But that doesn't mean I don't pull out something else occasionally.

The synths I listed are the only ones I keep in FL Studio's "menu" if I want something else I make myself dig for it each time. Which means I usually try my go-tos first and if they don't cut it I try something else in the collection.

OH MAN! I have done and gone full circle..right back to beginner..DRATS!

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

Old 05-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #13
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8507530
Thanked 6,332 Times in 4,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Jaketed View Post
OH MAN! I have done and gone full circle..right back to beginner..DRATS!
Well. I mean that having too many can be a problem for beginners. If you are a master chef having a well rounded spice rack is only to your advantage.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #14
Str8Jaketed
GET OFF MY LAWN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Well. I mean that having too many can be a problem for beginners. If you are a master chef having a well rounded spice rack is only to your advantage.

LOL...I will never share my last VST scans numbers with anyone...I disgust myself after teh last one last night....I feel shame...

------------------

Thanks to Str8Jaketed
A.M (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 08:52 PM   #15
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 155410
Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,314 Posts

Quote:
LOL...I will never share my last VST scans numbers with anyone...I disgust myself after teh last one last night....I feel shame...
I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Str8Jaketed (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 09:11 PM   #16
Str8Jaketed
GET OFF MY LAWN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours.
Lets just say there are 4 numbers and the first of the 4 numbers is greater than one...

------------------

Old 05-21-2015, 09:15 PM   #17
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Lets just say there are 4 numbers and the first of the 4 numbers is greater than one...
Damn..yours is bigger than mine!

------------------
Old 05-21-2015, 09:25 PM   #18
Str8Jaketed
GET OFF MY LAWN!

Quote:
Damn..yours is bigger than mine!
All those Bundle sales..adds up pretty fast..replaced my outboard obsession with plug ins..far cheaper..

------------------

Old 05-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #19
A.M

Quote:
All those Bundle sales..adds up pretty fast..replaced my outboard obsession with plug ins..far cheaper..
Yeah..kinda the same here. When I first started, it was with the goal of seeing if I could produce good quality music using only free stuff..so my drives are choked with plugins of all types. Currently there's about 670 installed in the DAW vst bank, but I've got loads more sitting on CDs that never get used.

But yeah..I have to admit I'm a free vst addict..if I stumble across one then I have to check it out..that "you never know if you're going to need it one day" kinda thing.

------------------
Old 05-21-2015, 09:48 PM   #20
Str8Jaketed
GET OFF MY LAWN!

Quote:
Yeah..kinda the same here. When I first started, it was with the goal of seeing if I could produce good quality music using only free stuff..so my drives are choked with plugins of all types. Currently there's about 670 installed in the DAW vst bank, but I've got loads more sitting on CDs that never get used.

But yeah..I have to admit I'm a free vst addict..if I stumble across one then I have to check it out..that "you never know if you're going to need it one day" kinda thing.

In the 2800 range as of now but my vst scan with mono versions and auomapped versions shows a tad over 7600..ready to back up clean out though..I just have this thing with not having the right tool at the right time thing.Some of them are 20 yr old DX's..That is one thing I love about Sonar..being able to still use m old dogs when I need or want to. heck not even opened up my ProTools10HD rig since updating to Platinum..

Advertisements

------------------

How many VST instruments? Tags
purge, vst instruments, vst synths, vsti