From Live to Studio One?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 05-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Schnork
Ghostly
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 10510
From Live to Studio One?

Although I´ve been using Ableton Live since version 4, which is like ten years, I really want to change now. Especially Midi editing and Automation do not fulfill my needs in terms of precise micro editing anymore. So I took a look at Presonus Studio One - I can have Automation tracks in which I can choose from different geometric shapes to draw Automation (In Live I can´t do that) what I really like. I can render in place (In Live I can´t) - Also the basic audio editing capabilities offer a little more than Live does. Basically the Piano Roll is much more flexible and powerful than the one in Live.

I´ve changed my workflow in Live last year, working mainly in the Arrangement View - Live´s Session View was my main reason to choose it ten years ago as DAW and to stick with it.

I just wanted to ask you guys if there are any major disadvantages with Studio One compared to Live and other DAWs, some things you can´t do in Studio One or things I´ll miss when coming from Live?

Last edited by Schnork; 05-17-2015 at 01:39 PM..

Advertisements

Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153410
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,151 Posts
Re: From Live to Studio One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
I can render in place (In Live I can´t)
You can flatten tracks in Live, if that's what you meant.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Clip based execution/triggering would about it really..S1 really has some into it's own the last two years.Really shines with multi-tracking far more than Live ever has.Once you have the workflow down and needing to be in Live;s session view it is really easy to use.Just another set of keyboard shortcuts to remember pretty much it.A few signal flow things are what I am not too keen with but that is due to my Pro Tools background..killer daw though.

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
mholloway
Master of the LFO
mholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MC
Portland, Oregon, USA
MC Status: 1435759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
You can flatten tracks in Live, if that's what you meant.
Not the same thing. Bounce (render) in place refers to clips, not whole tracks. Live is waaay behind everyone else in this area.

------------------

a modern twist on old-school electro-industrial music:
https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/deadwhenifoundher
mholloway is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
Schnork
Ghostly
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC

Now with version 3 out I´m really tempted...Although I realized, that I´ll probaply miss Live´s Simpler/Sampler/Drumrack...
Old 07-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
Schnork
Ghostly

I'll change to Cubase...Will take some time to learn (I tried to avoid that actually), but I can only benefit from it in the long run.

Studio One as well as Reaper, both are a great approach in their own meanings - probaply both of them will shine in a few years, but just not fully grown up, yet.

After almost two months of intense demoing (Reaper, Studio One) and lots of reading + youtube vids: I'm pretty sure that Cubase is exactly what I'm looking for.

Cubase is just more advanced in terms of audio and Midi editing and I can always rewire Live.

I'm just not sure if Cubase 7.5 or 8...

Last edited by Schnork; 07-05-2015 at 12:01 PM..
Old 07-08-2015, 06:41 AM   #7
mimicry
Deep Underground
mimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MC
MC Status: 6715879

Wow, ver 3 does look awesome.

------------------

Mimicry - Felt Like Walking:
mimicry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #8
Schnork
Ghostly

Tempo changes are only possible each bar - So no tape stop like effects possible...

Spoilsports.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #9
PianoMProd
Learning The Ropes
PianoMProd will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Do you think its worth switching from Cubase to Studio One 3? I'm so close to making the switch if it's worth it?
PianoMProd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:17 AM   #10
slugware
Master of the LFO
slugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MC
MC Status: 570901

hello,

is it possible to resample in studio one , as in live ? i can see there is no such function ? For example I add an audio track, set its Input to 'Resample' and I can record whatever is being heard on the master channel?

I read somewhere on the presonus forum , people suggesting setting up a bus for the desired tracks and putting that bus to an output , then recording that output on the master , but this is quite a hassle

is there any other more convenient way to resample in s1 ?

PS:
just to put my 2 cents on the topic - Live i love to use for writting music, as its the tool i've invested the most time and effort to learn and practice. After much hassle which other daw i must learn to get that big proffesional sound, and lurking at cubase, logic, pro tools, i think studio one is what i have been looking for. Also the developers really seem to care what users ask for features/improvements.

The splitter is great and comes handy with many purposes - apart from obvious sound design, one could do parallel proccessing right on the track ( effect racks in live are parallel too, but if you want to split frequency bands, it needs to be done separately). I also like the dragndrop feature for plugins . Also the macros are really neat, but not something that i have yet cared to learn really well..

I am still figuring out the signal path architecture

S1 is more of a straightforward tool, similar to a console-type of workflow (which i am not very versed at yet), and i love it for all the audio editing features that are not available in Live. Also i hear a better stereo image in S1 compared to Live ( i am not setting up a 'X vs Z daw argument here, but sometimes i can definitely hear that Live can't keep in time with itself , the overrated 'pdc issues' blah blah') Also i am not trying to imply that Live has inferior summing code. It sounds a bit less 'spacious' to other daws like cubase, logic, in my experience, but i'd suspect this has to do something with its pan law. Nevertheless no other daw has a thinner boundary between creative thinking and actual accomplisment of technical task with the tool (the daw). when i think of something i want to do, it takes the least time to figure out how to do it in Live, my most beloved versatile sound playground. Live has that workflow transparency which would let me focus so profoundly on the music, that i would even forget what tool i am working with.

I think both Live and S1 complement very well each other. For me S1 can't replace Live, but am not looking its substitute tool in the first place. So i am not sure if this answers your question very crearly.

The audiogeek in me overtook, i was listening to some Crunch right now, and its time to go work on some tunes

------------------
slugware is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:17 AM   #11
Schnork
Ghostly

Actually I don't know how Resampling is handled in S1 - Really that complicated?! Ouch^^

Quote:
Tempo changes are only possible each bar - So no tape stop like effects possible...

Spoilsports.
If I remember correctly, it can be done now in S1 3 - But I've already ended my journey some time ago - Back to Live.

Bedides that I felt completely lost within Studio 1 (First two weeks seemed very promising though), after I read about performance issues I set up a quick test and immediately crashed my machine....Well S1 was developed with modern computers in mind...I mean, I don't have a crap computer, not at all, it's just that Ableton had more than ten years since Live 4 to improve performance alongside the growing computer performance.

Actually, the journey was well worth it as I appreciate Live much more now for what it is and also found workarounds for my major problems with Live.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:34 AM   #12
JohnnyRocket
Regular Freak
JohnnyRocket will become famous soon enough
San Francisco

It too me some time to switch, but it was worth it

Quote:
I'll change to Cubase...Will take some time to learn (I tried to avoid that actually), but I can only benefit from it in the long run.

Studio One as well as Reaper, both are a great approach in their own meanings - probaply both of them will shine in a few years, but just not fully grown up, yet.

After almost two months of intense demoing (Reaper, Studio One) and lots of reading + youtube vids: I'm pretty sure that Cubase is exactly what I'm looking for.

Cubase is just more advanced in terms of audio and Midi editing and I can always rewire Live.

I'm just not sure if Cubase 7.5 or 8...
JohnnyRocket is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #13
jazzbastard
Minor Glitch
jazzbastard will become famous soon enough

I really love both, ableton and S1... I`ve done some mixing with S1, and it is really nice DAW. Has so many features, that others can not offer. But still, i got used to ableton`s plugins and sound. And the best thing is when i select track, i can instantly see almost all devices on it... that feature of ableton is the best for me.... in studio one i love the feature of aplying effects on certain audio or midi regions. Really awesome feature
jazzbastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #14
Animal Rescue
Regular Freak
Animal Rescue is a glorious beacon of lightAnimal Rescue is a glorious beacon of lightAnimal Rescue is a glorious beacon of lightAnimal Rescue is a glorious beacon of lightAnimal Rescue is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

My main DAW is Reaper but I've used Studio One 3 for a few months now. It hasn't replaced Reaper but it sure makes a nice companion DAW. Pretty stable too. Impressively so for a new piece of software. The Mai Tai soft synth is worth the cost of the Artist version alone IMHO.
Animal Rescue is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:17 AM   #15
astru
Minor Glitch
astru will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbastard View Post
in studio one i love the feature of aplying effects on certain audio or midi regions. Really awesome feature
This is such a cool feature I just cant believe other daws are not implementing it !

Also S1 has more ergonomic interface

The thing is if you get used to one DAW it is hard to switch. Especially from Ableton because it has a very intuitive workflow and qutie more Instruments with FX.

I tried myself and I liked Studio One but sticked with ableton for the same reason...

Also, I suggest to take the DAW for what kind of music / purpose you need it. Each of them have different stregths: midi, mastering, audio warping, recording etc

Last edited by astru; 03-29-2016 at 02:32 AM..
astru is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:59 AM   #16
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17060

Quote:
Actually I don't know how Resampling is handled in S1 - Really that complicated?! Ouch^^

If I remember correctly, it can be done now in S1 3 - But I've already ended my journey some time ago - Back to Live.

Bedides that I felt completely lost within Studio 1 (First two weeks seemed very promising though), after I read about performance issues I set up a quick test and immediately crashed my machine....Well S1 was developed with modern computers in mind...I mean, I don't have a crap computer, not at all, it's just that Ableton had more than ten years since Live 4 to improve performance alongside the growing computer performance.

Actually, the journey was well worth it as I appreciate Live much more now for what it is and also found workarounds for my major problems with Live.
ctrl b or ctrl t for trasnsform to renderd audio (same as freeze track in ableton live where it keeps the midi data to but frozen.)
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #17
EKmixmaster
Regular Freak
EKmixmaster will become famous soon enough

Unfortunly none DAW can accomodate aaall Pros. So I stuck with Ableton (also using ProTools for my clients projects) and don't see much reasons to swithc to S1 though no doubt lot's of people out there pretty happy with it.
EKmixmaster is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:46 AM   #18
Khasai
IDMf's latest spammer
Khasai will become famous soon enoughKhasai will become famous soon enough
Daly City
MC Status: 110

I'm just starting out, but I ended up getting Studio One 3 Artist. I've been really happy with it, found it very easy to get started with, and Mai Tai seems versatile and I found it straightforward to learn basic synth settings with it.

I had been questioning whether I made the wrong choice, since I don't see it discussed or listed in many of the places I hear about Live, or Cubase, or Reaper, but any of the techniques I've tried to learn have been possible without a lot of hassle. I also find the user interface is better presented than in a lot of other DAWs I've seen videos of. Not that I need a pretty DAW, but the organization has seemed intuitive and the information easy to visually assess.

Advertisements

Khasai is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote