**COMING SOON** RFJ - of Storybook and Sound [IDMf043]
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #1
Benwaa
Icon14 **COMING SOON** RFJ - of Storybook and Sound [IDMf043]

RFJ of Storybook and Sound [IDMf043 PROMO]
Release Date: 26 January 2014
via [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

The IDMf netlabel proudly presents Of Storybook and Sound by RFJ, a five track EP that cleverly mixes minimalism and IDM with glitchy breakbeat rhythms and layers of darkness and mystery that seem to have characters all their own.

A girl's voice can be heard in the opening track, her words echoing as she sees a light and exclaims "maybe they can help us". The listener is cleverly kept at bay from the origin of such a story and is instead pushed by the music to create their own imagery and their own story.
The girl, sometimes nearby, sometimes far away, continues to narrate throughout. Her voice cuts up, repeats and turns into mountainous echoes that continue to build over rolling glitchy drums and synths that crunch and glide.

Of Storybook and Sound can be both creepy and comforting at the same time, both homely and exotic, and with a strong sense of dynamic it stops and starts to make you listen. At points it makes you wonder what you're really hearing, it makes you wonder what's happening, but it doesn't leave you frustrated like a cryptic puzzle or an unsolved mystery. of Storybook and Sound inflames the imagination and paints so many different pictures all at once.

Tracklist:

1. White Flags 03:38
2.Contemplation 03:32
3. The Last Analysis 03:35
4. A Narrow Escape 03:16
5. Morning 03:28

Contact: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Website: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

Thanks
Old 02-01-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts
Re: **COMING SOON** RFJ - of Storybook and Sound [IDMf043]

Nice!

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Numerical
RFJ (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8530230
Thanked 6,786 Times in 4,836 Posts

This will be epic. Epic I say.
relic is offline   Thanks
Thanks to relic
RFJ (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 12:53 AM   #4
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

I was just napping on the couch and woke up to see this. What a great way to start the new year. It's been a goal of mine for a number of years to do something like this and, honestly, there's no place I'd rather have it released than right here....at home.

Big thanks to Benwaa for putting such a spectacular master on my work. And thanks to Tim for the blurb and scyn for the cover layout.

It's an honor to be apart of such a wonderful community of artists and friends. Were it not for all the advice I've received here I'd still be aimlessly twiddling knobs, so thanks to all of you folks as well.

This record is very personal in nature to me. Over the course of the next few weeks I'd like to bring all of you into that aspect of the music if you don't mind indulging me in that. But for now I'll just leave it there and say....

Big Thanks and much love to everyone.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 02-01-2014, 01:03 AM   #5
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 171960
Thanked 3,439 Times in 2,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I was just napping on the couch and woke up to see this. What a great way to start the new year. It's been a goal of mine for a number of years to do something like this and, honestly, there's no place I'd rather have it released than right here....at home.

Big thanks to Benwaa for putting such a spectacular master on my work. And thanks to Tim for the blurb and scyn for the cover layout.

It's an honor to be apart of such a wonderful community of artists and friends. Were it not for all the advice I've received here I'd still be aimlessly twiddling knobs, so thanks to all of you folks as well.

This record is very personal in nature to me. Over the course of the next few weeks I'd like to bring all of you into that aspect of the music if you don't mind indulging me in that. But for now I'll just leave it there and say....

Really looking forward to getting my hands on this release..and if the promo vid at the start of this thread is anything to go by, then the wait won't be all for nothing.

Kudos, dude..well done.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Thanks to A.M
RFJ (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 01:07 AM   #6
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

rfj b ballin

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks
Thanks to stem collector
RFJ (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 01:56 AM   #7
ndwella
Soundwave Mangler
ndwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant future
burger king isles
MC Status: 1910

woah, nice!

------------------
ndwella is offline   Thanks
Thanks to ndwella
RFJ (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Nice one RFJ - looking forward to hearing what you did with all those samples you recorded and the direction you've taken with this. Happy new year yo and all the best for the release .
scyn is offline   Thanks
Thanks to scyn
RFJ (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960

Logging on IDMF after several months of absence and seeing this <3

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Chozo Tull
RFJ (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

Thanks guys for checking out the video and the kind words.

In anticipation of this a little while back I was trying to figure out how to bring listeners into what's behind the release, and also, some way to give back to the community who has given so much to me. Most of you are somewhat aware of my grosser handicaps, some more aware than others. Included with the download you will find a fairly lengthy .PDF. It's basically a retelling of my self destruction in my own words. It outlines events, lies I told, the way I lied, what's behind them, and why I told them. It also discusses the way I hurt those I love the most and how I wound up feeling as a result.

This applies here because the intention of the record, while framed around my own personal story, is to take listeners on a five track journey through change and all the things we feel as humans that go along with it.

I think expecting you guys to sit there and read the document all at once might be a bit of a tall order. So I've broken it down in sections and am going to post them a piece at a time, on a one per day basis, leading up to 01/26.

I'm an open book so if anyone has any questions, or needs clarification on anything I post, or identifies with what I say in any way please don't feel like you shouldn't speak up.

Down through the years I've worn many a mask, and to a certain extent present a false self on the board from time to time as well. I figure the best thing I can do to show my appreciation is to take the mask off and be who I am for a while.

I'll post the title and a word of thanks that I wrote before I go to bed tonight, then get started tomorrow with the meat.

Thanks again guys, hope you find what I have to be of interest.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 02-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269455608
Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,780 Posts

I'm really looking forward to this.
Hopefully he won't get himself perma-banned before the release date...

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks
Thanks to Automageddon
RFJ (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #12
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42381499
Thanked 4,950 Times in 3,230 Posts

Chances of me not wanting this are about zero. On the Kelvin scale.

Looking forward to it

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
RFJ (02-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 03:51 AM   #13
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80992030
Thanked 4,036 Times in 2,615 Posts

that promo video sounds really interesting, I'll be waiting for this
Lug is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Lug
RFJ (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 07:07 AM   #14
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,433 Times in 1,896 Posts

Stoked
fidelium is offline   Thanks
Thanks to fidelium
RFJ (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #15
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684920

Quote:

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Son of Akira
RFJ (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #16
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Have a look at post 10 if this makes no sense to you, some of these posts will be longer than others but they won't be longer than this one...here we go...

-----------------------------------

A Version of Me

Written by Rick F. Jeldy

A Word of Thanks & Note

Id like to thank the IDMf Netlabel, the Administration, the Moderators, and the readership of
the IDMforums for giving me this wonderful opportunity to share a little bit about me. Id also
like to thank you the reader for reading my words and forgiving any errors in grammar you may
find contained within. Finally Id like to thank my Wife, my kids, my parents, extended family
and friends, for putting up with me through all of what you are about to read.

My intention is not to editorialize, preach, or judge. But to merely share what I have in the hope
that others might find a little bit of themselves in a story that is mine.

-----------

Part 1

Ill never forget the night I came home to find my wife sitting at the dining room table
looking at the bank statements. The truth was staring her in the face, highlighted charge by
charge, over the last 90 days of card swipes. Card swipes which I knew one day she would find. I
had been trying for the previous thirty days to lie my way out of a failed drug test. So, as I
crossed the room towards the table, I began formulating my way out of this mess. I had been
formulating my way out of messes for more years than I care to remember so this scenario was
nothing new. I sat. She looked. Is there a problem is probably what I asked. Her answer came in
a series of questions related to each charge. She began at the top of the list and methodically
worked her way down. This type of affair was, in reality, nothing new to her either for she had
fallen prey to my web since before we said I do. One by one she asked, one by one I lied. See,
the version of me at the table that night, is a version of me who is incapable of telling the truth,
a version of me who dare not be found out, and a version of me who will go to any lengths to
make you feel like the problem is yours.

Details, due to my condition that evening, are foggy at best but I remember questions
being repeated that had already been addressed. I remember the table, then the kitchen, the
table, the kitchen, and I remember my wife begging me to just tell her what was going on. Its
not like Im going to leave you, I never have before. The plea was honest, but I remained
unwilling. I remained unwilling to the point of being asked to leave. When I walked out of the
door, she cried. Thus, was the beginning of the end of my love affair with drugs and alcohol, but
the end wouldnt come til much later.

My love affair with drugs and alcohol goes back sixteen years prior to my encounter at
the table that night. It starts in a town called Escondido, and then moves across the country to
Oklahoma, before circling back around again. Most stories are best if began at the beginning so
Ill spend just a little bit of time there.

Ill never forget the night I had my first drink either. It was electric. I had always been a
little out of place ever since I can remember but the effect the booze had on my 17 year old
blood took that all away. This is something the average temperate drinker will not be able to
understand so Ill put it to you this way. Before the booze went down my life was like that of a
puzzle whose pieces were scattered across the carpet. The liquor, faster than you can blink,
made them snap together fulfilling their purpose. Fulfilling purpose via the consumption of
alcohol is another thing the average temperate drinker will not understand but I cant find a
better way to tell it. Because thats what it did, fulfilled my purpose as a human being. As I sat
in my friends room that night I knew to my core that thats how I wanted to feel,
and I knew I wanted to feel that way, for the rest of my life.

The monster has a way of making quick work with me, and shortly thereafter, I dropped
out of high school. Shortly after that, at another episode at a dining room table, my parents told
me we were moving back to the place of my birth, to a state called Oklahoma. My father was
having financial troubles, my mother was having personal ones, and me, I was on the fast track
to nowhere. So, in the U-Haul we went, across 1,500 miles, to my grandmothers drive way,
where my black clothes and I met my family again, for the first time in many years. I remember
smiles and hugs. I remember some food. I remember calling a friend I barely knew. Then, I
remember cocaine.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 04-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #17
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Quote:
...I remember smiles and hugs. I remember some food. I remember calling a friend I barely knew. Then, I remember cocaine.
I remember being nervous and asking if this was going to kill me.

Another thing the average temperate drinker will be unable to fathom is wondering if
something could kill you, wondering to the point of asking, then doing whatever that something
is anyway. Well, as stated before, this night that something was cocaine and up my nose it
went. I remember it coming on slow. Slow because I was unsure what to look for. But, when it
hit, it was…electric. I remember sitting there thinking how over the course of the 1,500 mile
trek, from west to Midwest, I knew I wouldn't be there long. I remember being reminded of my
plan to get a job, save up, and fly back home as quick as possible. I cancelled my plans that
night, intentionally, and I remember sitting there thinking that I could never leave.

It would be 7 years before I’d leave, and before those 7 years were up, I’d have been
addicted to any drug you can name from crack cocaine, to methamphetamine, to opioids. I’d
spend two summers taking more LSD than just about anyone, and eat enough MDMA to where
it didn't work anymore. Over the course of those seven years I’d have varying periods of
“sobriety” always followed up with more of the same. Alcoholics like me are a dumping ground
for anything they can get their hands on, and the things I got my hands on landed me in jail
more times than I can remember. More than 7, but less than 13. Add on top of that numerous
trips to the hospital, a short stint in a local rehab, and what you are left with is a guy who
doesn't know any other way.

To make a long story short Oklahoma was a nightmare; a nightmare of failed attempts,
restarts, quits, more failed attempts, various in sundry broken commitments and perpetual
relapse. I was living on a couch, collecting unemployment, dabbling in methamphetamine for
the umpteenth time, and decided it was high time I cleaned up. So, with two backpacks, a
guitar, and my last government check, I boarded a flight home, back out west, to start anew.
Yet another thing the average temperate drinker would never do is purchase $4.00
airline cocktails, little bottles / red tops, when they have no job and a mere few hundred to
their name. But, life was on the upswing, so I thought a celebration was in order. The mini party
on the plane moved off the tarmac at Phoenix, and into an airline-paid hotel room, due to an
overnight flight delay. I remember the absence of a mini bar. I remember disappointment. I
remember walking. I remember thinking I shouldn't spend the money. Then, I remember
several bottles of gas station beer.

A funny thing happens to this version of me as I begin to drink when nobody is watching.
What happens is, the version of me who prefers narcotics wakes up, and talks me in to
going looking. This version of me has taken me to all sorts of sordid places, downtown
alleyways and the like. That night it took me all through the streets of Phoenix, looking for
crack cocaine. Albeit lucky for me, but unluckily for this narrative, that version of me was
unable to score that night. I remember the hotel pool. I remember people. I remember them
having beer and I remember them telling me maybe I shouldn't drink so much. I remember
them walking away. Then, I remember bed.

That story is told not only to bridge the gap between Oklahoma and California, but it is
told in an effort to point out, that when I take a drink, nothing else matters. Not hopes, not
dreams, not commitments, not plans, not the truth or even a flight the next morning. Nothing
can get in my way when that version of me starts talking.

Last edited by RFJ; 05-01-2014 at 01:51 AM..

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Thanks to RFJ
Lug (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #18
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69360
Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,030 Posts

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I finally had time to listen and not being tired and what not, just wanted to say nice mixing man, track is hella crisp, and i really dug the teaser vid's music on here, im happy for you man, stuff sounds ace

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Skrillex
RFJ (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #19
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

^Oh hey thanks man glad you like it. I did spend quite a while agonizing over the mix after the writing was finished. Not to take anything away from that but, I must say, the tracks had a whole new life to them after I got the masters back from Ben.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 04-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #20
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963433
Thanked 4,080 Times in 2,706 Posts

I'm really excited for this. Knowing what I know about you from this forum I know this will be spectacular and a work of art.

Advertisements

Muse-ic is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Muse-ic
RFJ (04-01-2014)
Closed Thread