fractal or algorithmic/generative methods
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rs, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
esa666
Regular Freak
esa666 is a savage MCesa666 is a savage MCesa666 is a savage MCesa666 is a savage MCesa666 is a savage MCesa666 is a savage MCesa666 is a savage MCesa666 is a savage MCesa666 is a savage MCesa666 is a savage MCesa666 is a savage MC
sheffield, steel city
MC Status: 27063
Icon7 fractal or algorithmic/generative methods

ive been looking around for some ways of generating note sequencers that
i wouldn't normally find writing on my own steam,stuff what would be useful
in ambient or other styles.

I know people use cycling 74 max and pure data etc. but im no programmer and
would fall asleep trying to do any of that stuff, i am interested in fractal note generation,
or some kind of generative method, what are people doing,or using for these tasks?.

ive played about with fractMUS and another one i cant remember, ive tried a couple
of max4live devices but not got much out of them, any good max4ive devices out there?,or any good other methods/plugins you could think of?.

Advertisements

esa666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
mister_crow
Soundwave Mangler
mister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond repute
A tree in Verulamium
MC Status: 2210
Re: fractal or algorithmic/generative methods

You can use common stuff in most daws for algorithmic generation. I like using sends with various self-oscillating systems set up, so any channel can be routed as an impulse. To control when things get switched in, you can use automations or use audio from other channels converted to midi signals. For rhythmic effects, you can use delays in various parallel and serial set ups with whatever parameters you like mapped in the same way as the impulses.

So you can start with a simple automation pattern as the algorithmic base, and have various other automation signals derived from the outputs of the send channels.

------------------
Learn! About the lizard men controlling our lives! Hear! Some music I made! See! A waveform steadily becoming a slightly different grey! Coming to a forum post near you soon.
https://soundcloud.com/mister_crow/entities-wip
http://mistercrow.bandcamp.com/album/to-ep
mister_crow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

I'm no programmer either, but I like noodling with generative stuff. It can be subtle things like "organic" and gentle movement of parameters via LFOs...or it can be totally wierd stuff (random notes in scale, random scale-change for all note-sends, all parameters (synth or fx) change every new note or on every 4th/8th/16th-note, "evolving" drum patterns, etc).

I like Jeskola Buzz (free) and it has quite alot of fun machines that can generate nice results.

VST-wise I really like all xoxos plugins (they are also free). It almost doesn't get any better than this:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

i made a fractal melody generator in max like 2 years ago. been meaning to get into that again

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
GKM
Granular Poster
GKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of light
Tropical Cairns
MC Status: 460

You can always modulate the CV of a sequencer, if you have modular gear, or use a virtual modular synth? Modulate the modulation and it starts getting pretty random, kinda.
GKM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
DeadCat
Minor Glitch
DeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really nice
South
MC Status: 360

LFOs can also do the trick.

But that also counts as modulation.

I yself have created lot of strange sounding melodies just by assigning one LFO to freq (note basically) and other(s) to first LFOs speed and amplitude. You can put the change the of an LFO (usually sine, tri, saw etc) to random... great chaos ahead.

It worked perfectly on a hardware synth I cant see a reason why it wouldnt in software.
DeadCat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 03:15 AM   #7
l3ug
Microknight
l3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to all
Livorno
MC Status: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by esa666 View Post
ive been looking around for some ways of generating note sequencers that
i wouldn't normally find writing on my own steam,stuff what would be useful
in ambient or other styles.

I know people use cycling 74 max and pure data etc. but im no programmer and
would fall asleep trying to do any of that stuff, i am interested in fractal note generation,
or some kind of generative method, what are people doing,or using for these tasks?.

ive played about with fractMUS and another one i cant remember, ive tried a couple
of max4live devices but not got much out of them, any good max4ive devices out there?,or any good other methods/plugins you could think of?.
in ableton there are Midi-effect that can make realy cool stuff, beat-repeat have a "braindance" preset so nice, some compression, reverb, ...ping-pong-delay
l3ug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #8
kurasshu
Minor Glitch
kurasshu will become famous soon enough
Brandenburg
MC Status: 60

I use vcv rack standalone!
Use like braids and other modules
kurasshu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #9
kurasshu
Minor Glitch
kurasshu will become famous soon enough
Brandenburg
MC Status: 60

I use vcv rack!
kurasshu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 12:52 AM   #10
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

Back in the day of HyperCard, on the MacSE (8-bit 11 kHz mono audio!),
I used to play around with "snd " resources. I'd copy the snds from freeware stacks from Dartmouth or wherever and import them into my own stacks.

Then, I'd rename them numerically, and do stuff kinda like this:
Code:
repeat for i=-8 to 8
  if i=0 then next repeat
  play ("snd" && abs(i)) tempo 120 "s"
end repeat
After a while, I got into nested loops and adding two or three variables instead of just the one.

Advertisements

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote