Linking third party synths in FL studio
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #1
Kantjaevel
Minor Glitch
Kantjaevel will become famous soon enough
NOT Switzerland
MC Status: 60
Linking third party synths in FL studio

Hey all, I have a simple (possibly quite retarded) question about a problem that's been annoying me for a long-ass time.

When using third party synths in FL studio, is there any way to get them to cooperate with the DAW?
More specifically, bend notes is the main feature that I can't seem to make work. I've googled but found nothing, checked ILs website and found nothing... just people asking the question and getting replies about some totally unrelated shit.

To make things clear, I am NOT asking about how to automate pitch/whatever using automation clips/event roll/midi controller. And I'm NOT talking about portamento or envelopes.

I'm talking about getting the synths to work with bend notes, note velocity, note panning, that kind of stuff.

Anyone know how to do this? There must be some way, since it works in other DAWs.

Advertisements

Kantjaevel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8532880
Thanked 6,839 Times in 4,868 Posts
Re: Linking third party synths in FL studio

I'd look through all the menu options in the piano roll options. Not velocity is right in piano roll it's the little vertical lines in the piano roll under where you draw in the notes.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #3
Kantjaevel
Minor Glitch
NOT Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I'd look through all the menu options in the piano roll options. Not velocity is right in piano roll it's the little vertical lines in the piano roll under where you draw in the notes.
But that's not what I'm asking about.

If I use a third party synth like Zebra or Massive, nothing happens when I click to edit the note velocity/pitch/pan.
With some synths I can get the note velocity working, but not pitch or panning.

I'm asking how to link the synth to the editor you mentioned.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantjaevel View Post
But that's not what I'm asking about.

If I use a third party synth like Zebra or Massive, nothing happens when I click to edit the note velocity/pitch/pan.
With some synths I can get the note velocity working, but not pitch or panning.

I'm asking how to link the synth to the editor you mentioned.
I apologize. I see. That's weird. I've used FL Studio for long time and I've never had that problem. I've used Absynth, Z3TA, all kinds of freeware, never have I ever had this problem.

Email customer service at Image Line and the companies you make your third party synths. I wouldn't even know where to begin with this. If you said you've done your research online already, that's what I'd do.

------------------
Old 10-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
Kantjaevel
Minor Glitch
NOT Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I apologize. I see. That's weird. I've used FL Studio for long time and I've never had that problem. I've used Absynth, Z3TA, all kinds of freeware, never have I ever had this problem.

Email customer service at Image Line and the companies you make your third party synths. I wouldn't even know where to begin with this. If you said you've done your research online already, that's what I'd do.
I did shoot a mail to IL, that got me the same result as people asking on their site... an answer about other issues which I don't even have, and when I explained it I got the same exact reply again haha.

I haven't checked with the synth producers yet though, thanks for that suggestion.
Though it's not really a synth problem, but a DAW problem.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

^Wow, I'm surprised IL blew you off like that. This is extreme, but maybe do a full uninstall/reinstall?

It could be the third party synth isn't receiving the data from the DAW...but I don't know anything about programing, so take that with a grain of salt.

------------------
Old 10-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
Meer
Radial Developer
Meer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2610

It doesn't work with 3rd party synths because there's no way for it to work. The 'slide' notes, pan, and everything else except for velocity are all parts of IL's proprietary MIDI-thing. Other synths are made to work with just MIDI. There's really no way to make it work except by redesigning the synth.
Meer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:14 AM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
It doesn't work with 3rd party synths because there's no way for it to work. The 'slide' notes, pan, and everything else except for velocity are all parts of IL's proprietary MIDI-thing. Other synths are made to work with just MIDI. There's really no way to make it work except by redesigning the synth.
Huh, I guess I was thinking about different parameters. I'll have to look up that other stuff. But that's interesting, things I didn't know about my DAW

------------------
Old 10-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
FoDriZZlE
Knob Twiddler
FoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura aboutFoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura aboutFoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Quote:
I did shoot a mail to IL, that got me the same result as people asking on their site... an answer about other issues which I don't even have, and when I explained it I got the same exact reply again haha.

I haven't checked with the synth producers yet though, thanks for that suggestion.
Though it's not really a synth problem, but a DAW problem.
I may missunderstand a little, but if you tweak the knob you wanna automate, for example the pan, you just tweak the knob, and then go to options -> last tweaked, and create automation clip? Is this the case, or did i missunderstand the whole thing :s
FoDriZZlE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236929

I honestly don't even get what you have problem with. Are you trying to work with the Piano Roll options like the "fine pitch", etc? Most other software does not support all of those. The pan / fine pitch for example. Most of them should support the velocity, and there's the channel pitch option that you can twiddle around to make them bend. (If it doesn't work: Plugin options from that gear button and play with the "Send Pitch Bend" value. Kontakt only works properly if it's set at 1, for example.)

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
Kantjaevel
Minor Glitch
NOT Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
Most other software does not support all of those. The pan / fine pitch for example. Most of them should support the velocity, and there's the channel pitch option that you can twiddle around to make them bend.
That's what I was expecting. Too bad.
Thanks a lot for the great info, now I can stop looking for a solution.

It's a shame though, if I can't set individual note velocities, chords will not sound as good. Unless I spend way too much time automating eqs.
So I guess I'll have to go back to primarily using the built in synths and dive deeper into sound synthesis.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
FoDriZZlE
Knob Twiddler
FoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura aboutFoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura aboutFoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
That's what I was expecting. Too bad.
Thanks a lot for the great info, now I can stop looking for a solution.

It's a shame though, if I can't set individual note velocities, chords will not sound as good. Unless I spend way too much time automating eqs.
So I guess I'll have to go back to primarily using the built in synths and dive deeper into sound synthesis.
You CAN set individual note velocities, what in the world are you talking about??
Thanks to FoDriZZlE
jVs (28-04-2017)
Old 10-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236929

Almost any 3rd party synth should support velocities. Some of them even support the fine pitch. Zebra comes into mind as something that does, and Massive and Absynth as something that doesn't.

I don't think I've yet to come across a synth that supports the pan, though.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:31 AM   #14
FoDriZZlE
Knob Twiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
Almost any 3rd party synth should support velocities. Some of them even support the fine pitch. Zebra comes into mind as something that does, and Massive and Absynth as something that doesn't.

I don't think I've yet to come across a synth that supports the pan, though.
In FL studio you can do that... also for velocity...
Old 28-04-2017, 03:39 AM   #15
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 20110

Hah, I googled this totally forgetting I should check out IDMF and lo and behold you guys make it to the first page of results.

So, I'm working with a 303 vst for the first time (d16 phoscyon). Ideally, I'd like to sequence everything from the piano roll rather than the internal sequencer, but that loses out on a lot of the parameter changes from step to step in the sequence. The stuff I'm programming is crap compared to the built in patterns, and I feel like that's part of the reason, though I definitely haven't wrapped my head around the kind of sequence this thing likes yet either.

So, my idea I'd like to try (and this may be harder and way jankier than just learning to use the internal sequencer) is to automate things like fine pitch and filter position with the note values in piano roll, convert that to a midi message, then send that midi message into the appropriate parameter in the vst like it's coming from a midi controller in real time. I believe there may be software around that can do this, but I'd need to be pointed in the right direction.

I need a reality check. Is any part of my idea reasonable? Is it more problematic than I can imagine? Any recommendations? If this works for this vst, it should be able to be rigged for any that supports midi in, which could help a lot of people, but I imagine this hasn't been done yet because there's some challenge to it I don't know about.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 04:42 AM   #16
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

You have to manually assign the individual paramaters to the corresponding dial on your controller. Right click and select assign parameters.

Advertisements

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote