[Techno/Dance] White Noise- Untitled first techno song
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 15-09-2016, 09:30 PM   #1
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 22010
[Techno/Dance] White Noise- Untitled first techno song

Hey, it's been awhile, but I wanted a change of pace so I decided to try and make a classically styled techno track for the first time. I'd love input from people who know more about techno and other dance genres than me. Is it too repetitive? Not repetitive enough? Enough going on musically? Too long? Enough bass? If something's wrong, I'd like to put more work into this and make it good, so any and all criticisms (or praises) are welcome and appreciated.

Last edited by White Noise; 25-09-2016 at 05:09 AM..

Advertisements

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Techno/Dance] White Noise- Untitled first techno song.
Old 15-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1838477
Re: [Techno/Dance] White Noise- Untitled first techno song

There's elements I like. However the production and structure of the track needs work. It's very much a work in progress. I'm going to be harsh and nice here, it needs more work, very bland but has some potential. I'd say it's more house with some faithless vibe in the undercurrent. But it's way too clean for techno.

As I say there's some nice elements and nice techniques implemented in the mix. Needs more work. Personally, I'd take it away, keep the bars and parts that work, dump the rest and restart.

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 01:41 AM   #3
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California

Thanks for the fast response. I started a few other things after this that sounded more housey, so I think it would be better if I focused on this as a house track. I'm doing a re-work with that in mind. Still happy to hear anybody else's pointers.
Old 17-09-2016, 05:21 AM   #4
disftiva
Learning The Ropes
disftiva will become famous soon enough
Auckland
MC Status: 60

Hi, I'm new here and haven't introduced myself yet but thought I'd start by giving some suggestions.

I agree with MFXxx in that there are some good elements here but it definitely does sound like a work in progress.

Remember, this is just my own personal opinion:

The first thing that stands out to me is at about 1:45 you have a nice 16th note arpeggiated sequence, yet it doesn't even get repeated once in the whole track. If it were my track I'd repeat that sequence more and play around with filters on it/try develop it further. These kinds of sequences are great for break downs because they help to keep a strong sense of rhythm when the drums and bass aren't present.

At 3:24 you also have a kind of mini breakdown which sounds great, but it only lasts for 4 bars. You could easily milk it for many more bars and maintain interest whilst building back into the main theme.

Another thing to build tension that's really common in this style is to have a snare drum playing straight or (maybe) swing 16th notes going from a low velocity towards a high velocity when leading into the start of your main theme. I often use this in conjunction with an arpeggiated sequence.

Although at the moment it sounds really rough, after a few times listening I really like this track and think it has a lot of potential. Look forward to hearing more.
disftiva is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 05:29 AM   #5
White Noise
IDMf Artist
California

Thanks man, and welcome to the forums. I don't think I've ever seen someone jump right in and deliver such useful info in their first post (though I've only been around a year myself). Keep it up and hopefully you'll learn as much as you seem to be able to teach.

EDIT: Quick question to anyone willing to answer, how is the original track for length? I'm considering shortening it up because I just don't tend like really long songs, but if it's genre norm to be longer, I'll give it a shot.
Old 17-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
MFXxx
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world

Length is down to substance of the track. I think for the repetiveness, lack of builds and breaks (as previously mentioned milk the break and builds) it is too long.

My philosophy is if Im asking the question in production respects, then actually I know the answer but seeking reassurance.

Just had another listen, I maybe wrong is there reverb on the whole drum buss?

Just for some help and this is not meant in any condescending, I thought of another post on the forum and thought a post here may help. Again I stress this is to help and not be detrimental in any manner.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

It' quite intuitive and inspirational if you want to make techno and the videos vertainly entertaining along the way.

Last edited by MFXxx; 17-09-2016 at 03:04 PM..

------------------
Old 17-09-2016, 03:25 PM   #7
White Noise
IDMf Artist
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Just had another listen, I maybe wrong is there reverb on the whole drum buss?
No, it's on each individual drum, but they're all the same unit (Fruity Reeverb II). I tune it for each piece of the kit. I probably shouldn't do it to the kick, but if I don't it just sounds so dry in comparison to the rest of the kit.
Old 17-09-2016, 03:41 PM   #8
MFXxx
My own little world

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
No, it's on each individual drum, but they're all the same unit (Fruity Reeverb II). I tune it for each piece of the kit. I probably shouldn't do it to the kick, but if I don't it just sounds so dry in comparison to the rest of the kit.
Reverb on a kick is not an issue, but I would suggest in parts on more subtlety. Im not porfessing to be an expert in anyway, this is purely my input, taste and personal experience. Others may like it, but generally I would only put reverb on a kick during solos, builds and the like.

To beef it up try layering the kick, put another kick underneath and compress/resample.. Or Put some reverb on it, re-sample it, shorten the verb and put i through an envelope shaper and compress. May liven it up without filling it out too much,.

------------------
Old 17-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #9
st3aLth
Soundscaper
st3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3410

I like it

------------------
st3aLth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 10:53 PM   #10
MFXxx
My own little world

Whtie Noise - see what you think.

I've taken a lot of elements from your track. Added some Percs, overlayed the kick, added some overheads, some vocals to spice it up. Hope you dont mind. You kind of inspired me to do this today and as it's got parts of your track, you deserve dual credit!

Peace

------------------
Old 20-09-2016, 05:03 AM   #11
White Noise
IDMf Artist
California

I was able to put a few hours into re-working this. I still don't think this is exactly where it should be, but it feels like a big step in the right direction. Thoughts?

Last edited by White Noise; 25-09-2016 at 05:09 AM..
Old 20-09-2016, 06:37 AM   #12
disftiva
Learning The Ropes
disftiva will become famous soon enough
Auckland
MC Status: 60

Definitely an improvement. I really like the bar of kicks at 4:47 as it breaks everything down quite nicely but I think it jumps straight back into everything too quickly without building up to it. I think it comes down to personal preference though. The other perspective is that it's unpredictable and that makes it interesting to listen to. Maybe try a balance of both so you have some breakdowns and buildups with unexpected surprises along the way?

Really big improvement though, enjoyed listening.
disftiva is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #13
Pastori Silli
Analog Lurker
Pastori Silli has a reputation beyond reputePastori Silli has a reputation beyond reputePastori Silli has a reputation beyond reputePastori Silli has a reputation beyond reputePastori Silli has a reputation beyond reputePastori Silli has a reputation beyond reputePastori Silli has a reputation beyond reputePastori Silli has a reputation beyond reputePastori Silli has a reputation beyond reputePastori Silli has a reputation beyond reputePastori Silli has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8099

I really like it! really has this old techno- vibe

Maybe I'll check out your other tracks on soundcloud too

Maybe this is a little bit too repeative with this kind of melodies, if you know what I mean. I personally think that a track with as massive melodies as this should have a proper drops etc.. My english is not that good so I don't know if I'm explaining it right

But the most important thing I'm trying to say is that I liked it and looking forward to hear more from you!
Pastori Silli is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 07:02 PM   #14
MFXxx
My own little world

Much better mate. Some sidechain on the bass could work well. Bit more dynamics on the drums to give them that oomph using a comp.

Do you channel your drums into a drum group on your mixer? What DAW you use?

Much improved. Still needs some breakdowns and bridges personally, but that will come no doubt. "Who said glitch"! :

------------------
Old 20-09-2016, 11:26 PM   #15
White Noise
IDMf Artist
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Do you channel your drums into a drum group on your mixer? What DAW you use?
I do bus my drums, though I only have them running through a filter on the bus in this track right now. I use FLstudio.
Old 21-09-2016, 12:15 AM   #16
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8610

reminded daft punk or justice, its good assuming track is not finished

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 05:26 AM   #17
White Noise
IDMf Artist
California

Thanks man, those are the two groups that got me into electronic music way back when...
I've been working for two hours on a fresh mix, but it's taking long to render and I have to get to sleep and then give it a quick master, so I'll post it sometime tomorrow and then hopefully finish off arrangement/structure changes the day after if all is well (I have a big test coming up in school, so I'm studying for that too, otherwise I'd have this up tonight and finish it tomorrow).
Old 21-09-2016, 03:24 PM   #18
White Noise
IDMf Artist
California

Here's the new mix. I think dynamic range on this one is 2-3 times the original and it has better mono performance as well. Should generally be cleaner and more detailed. If this sounds good (or at least on the right track) I'll be working through structure and have that up in a few days. Once it's done, I'll probably get rid of all the WIP versions, so be ready for those links to break.

Last edited by White Noise; 25-09-2016 at 05:10 AM..
Old 21-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #19
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8610

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post

Here's the new mix. I think dynamic range on this one is 2-3 times the original and it has better mono performance as well. Should generally be cleaner and more detailed. If this sounds good (or at least on the right track) I'll be working through structure and have that up in a few days. Once it's done, I'll probably get rid of all the WIP versions, so be ready for those links to break.
mastered sounds better overall, but arp sounded much better in first one, also it lacks movement maybe its missing pad ?

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 05:08 AM   #20
White Noise
IDMf Artist
California

I think this is going to be it for awhile. I ended up not touching the structure, I just tightened up the mix a bit and added some more noise throughout the song for texture. I'm happy with where this is and there's just not that much more I want to do with it. Not enough to tear it apart and really get in there again. I hope you enjoy it. I've also broken all the previous links, so I'll be taking those out. Thank you guys for chiming in and helping make this what it is.

Advertisements