Gross Beat
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
thatSPIKEkid
Granular Poster
thatSPIKEkid will become famous soon enoughthatSPIKEkid will become famous soon enough
Seattle
MC Status: 110
Gross Beat

any FLoopers out there consistently use Gross Beat? I've played around with the demo quite a bit and it actually seems very handy/powerful, especially when trying to create dynamic chops, scratches, pitch stops, modulations and/or hiccups for complex stages of a track. FL's deal right now ($45 for any of their plugins) is tempting me to snag it, just curious if anyone can vouch for its usefulness.

Advertisements

------------------
thatSPIKEkid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541480
Thanked 7,011 Times in 4,983 Posts
Re: Gross Beat

I've not even demoed it...seems tempting for 45 bucks...but meh...I've got a pile of plugins I bought on sale that I never use.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

To me all of these types of plugins sound like these types of plugins.

Know what I mean?

It's not limited to Dblue and this one from FL studio either. Live has one called Beat Repeat that I thought was really cool...for about a month. Then, someone sent me a track to listen to and I was like those glitches sound pretty sweet. Then, I was like oh wait that's Beat Repeat. Then, I fully understood what picking a plugin from a line up was all about.

It is for this reason that I edit all my audio via copy, cut, paste, zoom, and duplicate. Then, I add effects here and there for flavor.

Audio, audio, audio, I say.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
relic (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
RaidenBeats
Fuck 'er Right N Da Pussy
RaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MC
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream
MC Status: 41760

havent tried it, will tonight and let you know
edit: gross beat is sick for taking a broing single note synth and making it super dynamic. definitely awesome.

------------------
Im looking for people to collaborate with on artistic projects. I am currently looking for a couple artists who can draw very well that want to work on a comic book
RaidenBeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
page the dj
Granular Poster
page the dj has a spectacular aura aboutpage the dj has a spectacular aura aboutpage the dj has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I have used gross beat extensively and use it in one way or another in most of my tracks. From a simple sidechain style volume gate to complex chops, stutters, scratches....you get the idea. Worth the $45 IMHO for just the ability to reverse anywhere in a project on the fly. If you are comfortable using envelopes, you can create your own banks and link to your MIDI controller (the novation launchpad is perfect.) Daft punk used this plugin extensively for the tron track derezzed. Hope this helps!
page the dj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by page the dj View Post
I have used gross beat extensively and use it in one way or another in most of my tracks. From a simple sidechain style volume gate to complex chops, stutters, scratches....you get the idea. Worth the $45 IMHO for just the ability to reverse anywhere in a project on the fly. If you are comfortable using envelopes, you can create your own banks and link to your MIDI controller (the novation launchpad is perfect.) Daft punk used this plugin extensively for the tron track derezzed. Hope this helps!
Yea...except FL Studio should just make it so you can right click on a piece of audio and reverse it like EVERY OTHER FUCKING DAW...pisses me off so much...

------------------
Old 04-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
RaidenBeats
RaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MC
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Yea...except FL Studio should just make it so you can right click on a piece of audio and reverse it like EVERY OTHER FUCKING DAW...pisses me off so much...
click track.
channel setting.
reverse audio.

------------------
Im looking for people to collaborate with on artistic projects. I am currently looking for a couple artists who can draw very well that want to work on a comic book
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenBeats View Post
click track.
channel setting.
reverse audio.
Yea, but then it's always reversed. In Ableton and Reaper at least you can reverse a single slice of audio without reversing every other instance of the sample. The only way to do it FL Studio is reverse it, bounce it, and load it back in. Really interrupts workflow.

------------------
Old 04-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684970

Quote:
Yea, but then it's always reversed. In Ableton and Reaper at least you can reverse a single slice of audio without reversing every other instance of the sample. The only way to do it FL Studio is reverse it, bounce it, and load it back in. Really interrupts workflow.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Sample (Audio Clips)
  • Make unique as sample - Clones the original Audio Clip AND clones the sample file on disk. Use this when you want to physically edit the sample data and change it in some way.

I know this doesn't directly address what you're talking about, if we're talking about the same thing, but clicking on the tab in the upper left of the actual audio sample and 'making unique' resamples just that part. It's very smooth and non-intrusive.

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Son of Akira
relic (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post

Sample (Audio Clips)
  • Make unique as sample - Clones the original Audio Clip AND clones the sample file on disk. Use this when you want to physically edit the sample data and change it in some way.

I know this doesn't directly address what you're talking about, if we're talking about the same thing, but clicking on the tab in the upper left of the actual audio sample and 'making unique' resamples just that part. It's very smooth and non-intrusive.
Thanks man. That's what I usually do, actually. It still makes it it's own clip/sample. I just don't get why they haven't addressed this. I've emailed them and never gotten even a "blow off" response. All I want to do is chop audio on the playlist and reverse a section of chopped audio...doesn't seem like a lot to ask, but I'm not a programmer.

------------------
Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
RaidenBeats
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream

Quote:
fruity slicer

------------------
Old 04-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenBeats View Post
fruity slicer
You must have missed the part where he said right on the playlist.

Watch and be amazed:

That's probably the most useful tutorial I have ever watched and ever since I use these techniques exclusively, with a bit of my own flair added in for posterity sake.

Not to beat a dead horse but...

For manipulating audio with ease Live is the only choice in my humble opinion.

Note: Opinion.

------------------
Old 04-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
You must have missed the part where he said right on the playlist.

Watch and be amazed:

That's probably the most useful tutorial I have ever watched and ever since I use these techniques exclusively, with a bit of my own flair added in for posterity sake.

Not to beat a dead horse but...

For manipulating audio with ease Live is the only choice in my humble opinion.

Note: Opinion.
this video demonstrates exactly why i love ableton so much. i never use a sampler i always edit sounds just like this

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269465408
Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,879 Posts

Quote:
I've got a pile of plugins I bought on sale that I never use.
That's why I've decided to contact (or even better, kontact) Native Instruments and see if I can resell my licence for Komplete 8 Crossgrade, I just don't use any of them...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
That's why I've decided to contact (or even better, kontact) Native Instruments and see if I can resell my licence for Komplete 8 Crossgrade, I just don't use any of them...
Yea. I've got a few plugs I want to sell because I don't use them. Going to give eBay a shot I think. Oh! and the new section of the forum!

------------------
Old 05-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
page the dj
Granular Poster
page the dj has a spectacular aura aboutpage the dj has a spectacular aura aboutpage the dj has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Oh but you can my friend. What I am speaking of is a full on reverse on master or a bus. If you want to rev a sample for one instance then return to normal, slicex, or FL slicer, gross beat on Fx channel- viola.

BTW, expressing your opinion on the daw which this thread is directed...just bad form. Its been said before, and with cranial thickness as such, it will be said hundreds of times again...a daw is a daw is a daw. Mr Hendrix could pick up any guitar and make sweet music.

Op...have you considered the signature bundle? Its $299, and it comes with all native plugins, and of course lifetime updates. There is also the public betas, for free, from the image line forum. A Google search for FL studio 10.9...:-)
Old 05-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #17
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Quote:
Oh but you can my friend. What I am speaking of is a full on reverse on master or a bus. If you want to rev a sample for one instance then return to normal, slicex, or FL slicer, gross beat on Fx channel- viola.
How about right on the timeline without using a plugin?

------------------
Old 05-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #18
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
BTW, expressing your opinion on the daw which this thread is directed...just bad form. Its been said before, and with cranial thickness as such, it will be said hundreds of times again...a daw is a daw is a daw. Mr Hendrix could pick up any guitar and make sweet music.
I'm sorry, so I'm not allowed to discuss lacking features of the DAW I paid for and use? I'm not saying you are wrong...but my comment was so not a "DAW wars" comment. I work around it of course.

At worst the comment was off topic.

------------------
Thanks to relic
FunkMasterBrown (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #19
page the dj
Granular Poster

Quote:
I'm sorry, so I'm not allowed to discuss lacking features of the DAW I paid for and use? I'm not saying you are wrong...but my comment was so not a "DAW wars" comment. I work around it of course.

At worst the comment was off topic.
Lol touche' my bad etc. Just daw wars frustration spilling out.

RFJ, as son of akira pointed out, make unique as sample can be done right in the playlist. Then its just clicking one button (reverse) on sample settings and done.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #20
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

^Yea, no worries. I completely agree with you on the DAW is a DAW.

And yea I understand that you can do that right from the playlist, but it still becomes a separate audio clip/sample when you do this that then needs routed etc etc. It's really nit picky, I know, but I want to to be able to slice, right click, "reverse" a drum hit or whatever and move on. It's a lot of steps for something simple.

But here I am threadjacking again.

OT: I haven't demoed Gross Beat as I've said, but I've played with other "glitch" VSTs...I still prefer to just do it on my own. Comes out feeling more natural and with even less repetition when done by hand.

But as said by page the dj, the producer or XXL editions of FL Studio are nice as well. Can't be lifetime free updates. That's kept me hanging on for a looong time.

Advertisements

------------------