[Funky Step Techno?] Dj Kotu - Longted Is A Man
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 20-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
rmedhurst
IDMf Supporter
rmedhurst is a glorious beacon of lightrmedhurst is a glorious beacon of lightrmedhurst is a glorious beacon of lightrmedhurst is a glorious beacon of lightrmedhurst is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460
Icon5 [Funky Step Techno?] Dj Kotu - Longted Is A Man

Hi just trying to get some feedback on my latest tune which is called Longted Is A Man (longted is my teddy)..

Not to make any excuses or anything but just trying to explain my possibly unorthodox style - many posters on here produce very professional and polished tracks, i'm not really like that and I will explain why (basically, I can't be bothered to learn it yet)

From what I understand when you go to learn to make a new style of music you practise first by imitating or replicating tracks then going from there. For example I am well into UK Hardcore but I can't produce anything like a relevant melody - in fact I can't really write melodies at all except basic pad sequences and stuff. What I am really into at the moment (not been 'producing' long) is just experimenting, having a little fun and hopefully something goes right in the experiment and I make something I like. I partly use what I would call magic (my friend says 'occult secrets') - you can say this is bullshit but anyway I wrote a blog about it see my blog here if interested - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(10 and 11).

Anyway if I was making decent stuff of a specified genre, from how I see it, what could I add? They already make that shit REAL good! Anyway.... basically this is an excuse so that all my tracks can be shit. Thanks for your time. Lol

But seriously any feedback would be welcome. Ta

In preparation for this post Longted actually wrote a short speech, but I burned it. Thanks

What Longted said - 'i did not write a short speech'

So what

Advertisements

------------------
rmedhurst is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Funky Step Techno?] Dj Kotu - Longted Is A Man.
Old 20-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184210
Thanked 3,684 Times in 2,745 Posts
Re: [Funky Step Techno?] Dj Kotu - Longted Is A Man

Before I say another about the track, I just want to point out that your style is YOUR style..and you don't have to copy or imitate anybody out there if you don't want to. Whatever you produce should be what you want to produce..if others then like it in the end, that's great..but don't set out to please others (Not saying that YOU are..just speaking generally).

The thing is, regardless of whatever style or genre you think/want/like to make..there are certain basics you need to learn if you want to make your stuff as good as possible. These are things you should learn even if you aren't serious about producing music and are just in it for your own fun and killing time...things like EQ and Compression. If you don't, then you are limiting your own creative expression in the end and might find it hard to put into music whatever it is you're trying to express..if anything at all.

As for writing melodies and such..who says you have to? Don't ever feel obligated to do what things the same way as others..or follow what appear to be set rules of production..instead, think of them more as guides. Your work is what it is and don't ever feel like you need to apologize or explain it to others..it is what it is and let them take it or leave it.

Regarding the track you've posted here..it's not that bad at all, aside from the beat that comes in at 27/28secs..sounds a little muddy and too upfront in the mix to my ears. You might want to either cut some of the low end off and/or reduce the gain on it a little. Adding a little reverb might give it more spice and help it sit better in the mix, but that's totally an esthetics thing and something you may or may not want to try out.

Other than that, there's nothing that jumps out at me, other than a general polishing maybe, but all in all it's a good track.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
rmedhurst
IDMf Supporter
rmedhurst is a glorious beacon of lightrmedhurst is a glorious beacon of lightrmedhurst is a glorious beacon of lightrmedhurst is a glorious beacon of lightrmedhurst is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Ok thanks for your wisdom.

I know about compression and eq and stuff like reverb and delay, my friend showed me quite a lot of stuff

I just fiddle and f*** about with it really. Glad you enjoyed the track!

------------------
rmedhurst is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #4
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184210
Thanked 3,684 Times in 2,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmedhurst View Post
Ok thanks for your wisdom.

I know about compression and eq and stuff like reverb and delay, my friend showed me quite a lot of stuff

I just fiddle and f*** about with it really. Glad you enjoyed the track!

Well then..the more you "fiddle and f*** about", the better you'll get as you "fiddle and f*** about". It's really all about putting time into practicing and trying new things..or trying new ways of doing the same old things.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote