Selling Stock Music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:56 AM   #1
NaturalDissolve
Knob Twiddler
NaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860
Selling Stock Music

Does anyone have experience selling music on stock sites? Does anyone know if you can post the same songs to different stock sites? I can still use my own tracks, say in a YouTube video, correct? Any tips on actually selling music?

Advertisements

------------------
NaturalDissolve is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:12 AM   #2
Qianta
IDMf Artist
Qianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MC
YEAH THAT'LL SHOW EM!
MC Status: 2413771
Re: Selling Stock Music

don't sell your music man, give the people what they want! how much do you expect to get from 1 - 5 buys? i got 0.73$ from 3 months of my track being on sale

------------------
COME SHOW YOUR CREATIVITY, MAKE SOMETHING IN LESS THAN 20 MINUTES!

Qianta is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:03 AM   #3
NaturalDissolve
Knob Twiddler
NaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to beholdNaturalDissolve is a splendid one to behold

I'm not going to sell my good music, just some electronic music that I can crank out on my phone.

Tracks sell for 10-17 dollars on audiojungle. It's just a matter of competing with the big sellers. Easier said than done.

I'm also wondering if I can sell the same tracks on other sites.

------------------
Old 09-06-2014, 04:06 AM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541480
Thanked 7,011 Times in 4,983 Posts

You are just going to have to read the terms on audiojungle...

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:20 AM   #5
NaturalDissolve
Knob Twiddler

Ya, ya, looks like audiojungle will pay you more if you exclusively offer the track on their site.

Now to figure out how to actually make sales. Which would probably include some sort of advertising.

Last edited by NaturalDissolve; 09-06-2014 at 04:26 AM..

------------------
Old 09-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #6
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

I have on audiojungle and I've made little money off of it pretty quick. Like in a matter of a few days. But I didn't want to concentrate on that path so I just left it. However I think it was a nice experience.

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #7
NaturalDissolve
Knob Twiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neyus View Post
I have on audiojungle and I've made little money off of it pretty quick. Like in a matter of a few days. But I didn't want to concentrate on that path so I just left it. However I think it was a nice experience.
Any tips on making money? How many tracks did you upload and at what price? Is it better to upload a bunch of tracks at once or spread them out over time?

------------------
Old 10-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

what will you add that already hasn't been added/can be got for FREE

?
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:31 AM   #9
NaturalDissolve
Knob Twiddler

Hmmm, idk, I'll add a little more artistry to stock music.

Stock music is a little different. Even if you have a copy of a free song doesn't mean you have the rites to use it in a video. You aren't really selling music, you are selling a license to use the music.

------------------
Old 10-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #10
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

seems rather subjective, still, in the end.

just put up what you think is worth a someones dollar(s)

honestly if its like, tv/movie/commercial/random textures/motifs stuff like that, it runs the gambit on what somebody is looking for.

maybe the better idea would be to have many variety of options, not just electronic or whatever. reach a wider consumer base /shrug

but ive never explored stock music, figured it was another sample/loop/library type thing. ill check it out further. good luck and if you manage to get stuff up, post up links.
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59410
Thanked 1,188 Times in 790 Posts

I know this is a thing in photography. I know a couple of photographers that sell photos on stock photography sites to make a bit of extra cash. And yeah it's mainly for magazines, adversts, or other little clips... probably best to have the track name relect what it sounds like to make it easier for people to identify it as something they are looking for...

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #12
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903759
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts

I've sold and produced stock music before, but nothing so cheap as $16. I don't even know what kind of licensing would be so cheap. The stock libraries I've submitted work with have all been much higher priced, targeted at marketers and business developers (like architects / property developers, retail outlets / products, buying groups etc etc.)

Typically, a non-exclusive license, would go for around $1,000 for a three year license. That means that when someone purchases a license, the recording remains in the library and is available for further non-exclusive licensing. An exclusive license would go for around $2,500 for three years. Upon purchase of an exclusive license, the recording is removed from the library and is not available for further licensing until the end of the license period. Then you have rights purchasers, who seek to purchase the rights to the recording. Depending on the nature of the work this would be a variable fee.

I haven't produced any stock library content for over five years now, so I don't know much about the current state of affairs. But I don't think it's worth the enterprise for $16 licenses. Unless you're literally spending five minutes on a recording, that is.

It's much more preferable to sell the rights than license the recording. There's too much administration involved. I used to do a lot of sound work for poker machine companies and over a three year period I had produced about 40 briefs. At the time, $400 per brief seemed pretty good because I was able to churn them out in under an hour. But then having to renegotiate the licenses for all machines that were still active became a nightmare. In the end, I offered sale of all works to the company for a ridiculously low fee. It was less than $10K for over 25 different briefs. Then any future work I sold them the rights for $1,000. They never have to renegotiate license, I don't have to maintain them.

After that experience, any work I do to a brief I sell. And if a client baulks at the higher price tag, I just explain to them the ramifications of future licensing requirements - because if the recording is still in use and requires re-licensing down the track, I'm entitled to request a fairer (read: higher) level of compensation for licenses or rights.

And my recommendation is that if you want to work to briefs and sell "stock" recordings, you're better to invest in direct relationships with clients. The amount of submissions to licenses on library services is paltry. Much like stock photo libraries, except photos are cheaper to produce.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
SKYCORE (11-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #13
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalDissolve View Post
Any tips on making money? How many tracks did you upload and at what price? Is it better to upload a bunch of tracks at once or spread them out over time?
Like in any business you will have to know what kind of field you are getting into. Making music is one thing but in this area, aside from having connections etc it is more about targeting the right market for your music.

I had 3 tracks short tracks that was made less than an hour and made $18 bucks for the next 3 days. I just didnt bother pushing it. It's just something I wanted to try and experience.

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #14
Spyderbyte
Ghostly
Spyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MCSpyderbyte is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalDissolve View Post
I'm not going to sell my good music, just some electronic music that I can crank out on my phone.

Tracks sell for 10-17 dollars on audiojungle. It's just a matter of competing with the big sellers. Easier said than done.

I'm also wondering if I can sell the same tracks on other sites.
Who would want to use stock music you "cranked out" on your phone?

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broton42 View Post
There is a time when the world of music opens itself up to you and you dive right into great unknowns, incredible techniques and emotionally captivating electronic music. And after that, there is stuff like Pop EDM.
Spyderbyte is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Spyderbyte
Jaded (11-06-2014)