Distributing and selling music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
NeonGnats
Soundwave Mangler
NeonGnats is a glorious beacon of lightNeonGnats is a glorious beacon of lightNeonGnats is a glorious beacon of lightNeonGnats is a glorious beacon of lightNeonGnats is a glorious beacon of light
Wyoming
MC Status: 484
Distributing and selling music

I just got done putting together an album. Now the delima, how to sell!?!? I previously used sites like reverbnation.com..... but I hate it. I'd like to sell CD's due to those I know who have no clue on how to use iTunes, or download a song for that matter. I plan on eventually going iTunes as well. Has anyone found any distribution methods that get you the most bank you can fill me in on?

Advertisements

------------------
HOLY CHIPTUNES! HYPER CAFFEINE NIGHT GAMES!

http://www.facebook.com/neongnats
\/"Speed Run"\/
NeonGnats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts
Re: Distributing and selling music

CdBaby and Discmakers are two that i hear about often.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
KirkKenneth
Learning The Ropes
KirkKenneth is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Very tricky indeed. I used reverbnation before. No luck either.
KirkKenneth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
ErikGlez
Analog Lurker
ErikGlez will become famous soon enough
Tiuana , Baja California
MC Status: 60

why dont you send your music to online labels , they might want to sign your music , selling Cd's is rather complicated nowadays imo
ErikGlez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ErikGlez
NeonGnats (19-11-2012)
Old 18-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
jds1
jds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 2797866

selling physical cds independantly sounds like diminishing returns to me.
you should start out digital and if you start getting enough money from that then put money into physical distribution.

im in the middle of finishing off a website (using it as a promotional hub)
connecting/imbedding to bandcamp, youtube videos, facebook and soundcloud.
ill sell via bandcamp and promote via youtube, facebook and soundcloud.
i could do it without a website but it's too many links, and i think its more professional, clean and easy to just give people one link, plus the website has the opportunity for more creative things.

once it's all up and running then i can send out promo packs to blogs/labels etc.

labels want a complete package ready to release etc as well, setting yourself up in a way like this means you have complete control and if no one picks you up for bigger distribution/promotion it doesnt matter because you're already going.

if money is an issue, a great idea is to pretty much do the same thign but in a group, pool your money together and pretty much be an independant label, the only problem with this is finding artists with common ties and quality.
jds1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jds1
NeonGnats (19-11-2012)
Old 19-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
NeonGnats
Soundwave Mangler
NeonGnats is a glorious beacon of lightNeonGnats is a glorious beacon of lightNeonGnats is a glorious beacon of lightNeonGnats is a glorious beacon of lightNeonGnats is a glorious beacon of light
Wyoming

At the moment I gave up on trying to sell and tried to just hand out free downloads on soundcloud (The plays have been really good in the last week, but downloads are pretty weak). I'll give bandcamp a try out. Any more tips on distributing to online labels.

------------------

\/"Speed Run"\/
Old 19-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 117360
Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,372 Posts

I do not recommend give away tracks for free, if you decide to put them in album or EP and make money. If the release is free, go on and share!

Nothing personal, just a few observations from my side:
out of curiosity, I checked you soundcloud page. I rather be honest, it's definitely too early to think about any album for you. I feel that music is too raw, it really needs more effort to it. Sure, you can release an album, but will anyone, except you, love it?
I know that feeling when you believe that track is well-made, you want to share it with everyone, but after a week you understand that it's... not that good at all! I suggest you to develop your own sound more, there's no need to hurry.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
NeonGnats
Soundwave Mangler
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
I do not recommend give away tracks for free, if you decide to put them in album or EP and make money. If the release is free, go on and share!

Nothing personal, just a few observations from my side:
out of curiosity, I checked you soundcloud page. I rather be honest, it's definitely too early to think about any album for you. I feel that music is too raw, it really needs more effort to it. Sure, you can release an album, but will anyone, except you, love it?
I know that feeling when you believe that track is well-made, you want to share it with everyone, but after a week you understand that it's... not that good at all! I suggest you to develop your own sound more, there's no need to hurry.
That's sort of the conclusion I did come to. And on the other hand, I'm not necessarily sure I want to sell tracks. More along the lines of I want to keep this a hobby and not a career. I don't know about anyone else, but when I have it in my head that this is something I could make money off of, it seems like a lot pressure and cramps the fun of creating a track. I kinda compare my music to a doodle you might draw in your notebook while in the middle of a really boring math class. Yeah, it might be clever, but it usually won't end up in the museum. But it was fun. So, if I get to the point where my sound is refined enough, I might reconsider that. And I do VERY much appreciate the solid feed. Kinda humbles me back to where I need to be. It is very true, when something sounds good, it's your baby and you want everyone else to like it (good thing where I like, everyone hates electronic music). And my weakest flaw as a human is impatience, so that really prevents me from taking my time on a track and makeing it better. Most tracks of mine go from non-existent to soundcloud in roughly 4 hours..... So I totally agree with you 100%. Thanks again!

------------------

\/"Speed Run"\/
Old 19-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
jds1
jds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 2797866

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGnats View Post
That's sort of the conclusion I did come to. And on the other hand, I'm not necessarily sure I want to sell tracks. More along the lines of I want to keep this a hobby and not a career. I don't know about anyone else, but when I have it in my head that this is something I could make money off of, it seems like a lot pressure and cramps the fun of creating a track. I kinda compare my music to a doodle you might draw in your notebook while in the middle of a really boring math class. Yeah, it might be clever, but it usually won't end up in the museum. But it was fun. So, if I get to the point where my sound is refined enough, I might reconsider that. And I do VERY much appreciate the solid feed. Kinda humbles me back to where I need to be. It is very true, when something sounds good, it's your baby and you want everyone else to like it (good thing where I like, everyone hates electronic music). And my weakest flaw as a human is impatience, so that really prevents me from taking my time on a track and makeing it better. Most tracks of mine go from non-existent to soundcloud in roughly 4 hours..... So I totally agree with you 100%. Thanks again!
you should get paid if it's pro level quality, it's hard to disconnect from this impatience, i was once there and it ends up crippling you despite you're explosive ambition of trying to get things done and out there. it shouldnt take you that long to get to the point of release if you become really aware of what you want to do and stick to it. I had to stop coming on this forum for about a year so I would just focus on my own music and stop worrying so much about the technical side of things. Your own experiments and journey will guide you more than anything else will. Looking elsewhere other than yourself (other than inspirational things) will end up killing you. I'd recommend only looking online at forums/music etc if you're stuck in trying to find/learn certain elements to put back into your work (if it really is necessary of course).
jds1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
NeonGnats
Soundwave Mangler
Wyoming

I guess too the point I forgot to mention is I'm not really trying to reach out and sell to new people (as I mistakenly put distribution). It's more of getting it to my mom and other soundcloud illiterates that don't know how to download music... But I'm not really worried about it. But I really do thank everyone for the input.

------------------

\/"Speed Run"\/
Old 23-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #11
shinydiamond
Learning The Ropes
shinydiamond is currently spamming hard

how long you've been producing?
shinydiamond is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #12
NeonGnats
Soundwave Mangler
Wyoming

Been a musician most my 24 year life, but been actually producing since 2009. Started with throwing loops and samples together to make melodies, past two years been writing and experimenting new programs and such. (Really been enjoying Live). But not really continually more than a couple years.

------------------

\/"Speed Run"\/
Old 30-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
Olliath
Learning The Ropes
Olliath is currently spamming hard

if you are going mainstream, get the cd into the hands of the right people. if that means standing outside a label office and demonstrating, so be it.

Advertisements

Olliath is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote