bb48
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles A dedicated area to discuss Beat Battle contests

Old 21-01-2017, 04:42 AM   #1
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver
MC Status: 8610
bb48

The Challenge

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.

Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

THE DEADLINES

Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a Friday (20th Jan 2017).
Submissions close Tuesday 11 days later (31st Jan 2017) 23:59 and voting opens at 00:00 (immediately after).

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day, Thursday (2nd Feb 2017).

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day (Friday 3rd Feb 2017 ) to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

Late Submissions are void to receiving a vote

All times are UTC.

Countdown until submissions close:

RULES:

1.Combine two genres and tell us what they are. Be creative, try something unusual, ambient techno or tech house is too easy.

2. Have a noticeable and interesting use of reverb. As if you're looking for a soundcloud comment on your track that would read: " oohh i like that reverb"

3. Pick a song you like, that has unique or interesting structure, analyze the structure and try to replicate it. Post the song in your submission. It doesn't have to be anything too crazy just nothing too standart or cliche.

Samples:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

context for the voice samples:

unfortunately they're mp3's

Have fun!

Advertisements

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 7asid
MFXxx (21-01-2017)
Old 21-01-2017, 05:29 AM   #2
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11477804
Re: bb48

zort

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to I/O_Madness
Tsachi (27-01-2017)
Old 21-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #3
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
zort
What zort mean my man?

------------------

Old 21-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1836877

Interesting BB 7asid. Going to have to think on the approach with this one, very thoughtful.

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69885469

Count me in.

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to brb
MFXxx (21-01-2017)
Old 21-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
Creepr
Soundscaper
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 7060

I reviewed the samples and might be able to get something together. The special rules will make for some interesting compromises. I am thinking of something ambient but who knows.

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #7
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC

I haven't decided on what genres to mix (invariably it will be Detroity/acid mixed with something). I'm very happy with the reverb rule, expect some weird convolution tricks! I have decided to rip off this structure:

How much and what elements of structure do you mean though? How strict do we have to be? Are we tracing over the top or taking vague inspiration from our chosen song?

------------------
Old 21-01-2017, 10:19 PM   #8
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
I haven't decided on what genres to mix (invariably it will be Detroity/acid mixed with something). I'm very happy with the reverb rule, expect some weird convolution tricks! I have decided to rip off this structure:

::kitty video::

How much and what elements of structure do you mean though? How strict do we have to be? Are we tracing over the top or taking vague inspiration from our chosen song?
I'd say like the whole song build, be it verse chorus, or build break, whatever's going on with the highs and the lows the climaxes and the valleys and all.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 22-01-2017, 12:35 AM   #9
7asid
Knob Twiddler
Vancouver

Quote:

Yep what I/O said. Dont sweat it too much but view it almost as a learning exercise. You dont have to count bars or anything, its more about determining the structural elements and their order. Whatver makes the structure of your song pick interesting and unique is what you want to loosely recreate.

------------------

Thanks to 7asid
brb (22-01-2017)
Old 22-01-2017, 02:51 AM   #10
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7asid View Post
What zort mean my man?
zort

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 22-01-2017, 04:03 AM   #11
brb
Commie SJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7asid View Post
Yep what I/O said. Dont sweat it too much but view it almost as a learning exercise. You dont have to count bars or anything, its more about determining the structural elements and their order. Whatver makes the structure of your song pick interesting and unique is what you want to loosely recreate.
Counting the bars is easy it's the number of beats that's making me go cross eyed.

------------------
Old 22-01-2017, 07:49 AM   #12
7asid
Knob Twiddler
Vancouver

Quote:
zort
Zort

------------------

Old 22-01-2017, 07:49 AM   #13
7asid
Knob Twiddler
Vancouver

Quote:
Counting the bars is easy it's the number of beats that's making me go cross eyed.
Counting in general

------------------

Old 22-01-2017, 11:01 PM   #14
brb
Commie SJW

I think the main things that make my choice interesting are the arrangement, and how the different numbers/timings fit together. I'll certainly not be recreating that tune though, not within 9 days, and not on this laptop.

------------------
Old 23-01-2017, 01:24 AM   #15
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand
MC Status: 101163691
Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,047 Posts

3/4s waltz beat / glitch / rap..

And I tuned the C minor noise sample a bit, to form a pad.. Used a lot of stereo doubling to enhance the reverb. I'm not inspired by anything else than one of my own tracks, which I also happen to like, per the rules.. I can post that too if you wish, but be warned, I sing on it. It also has a waltz beat. So you could also say I'm inspired by this..

Anyway..

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 12:37 AM   #16
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand

^I couldn't help myself, but to go on and make a few updates. I added a bass; the bass sample in the pack, just tuned and timed so it's not as loose. And then I went on and turned it all - incl. the C minor sample - into a bass/pad progression. Even the rapper received a minor tuning. So now it goes like this instead.

------------------
Old 25-01-2017, 01:15 AM   #17
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world

Nice work Thomas and great to hear you in the BB's, brings a new level to the fun!

Quality track. New version the bass sounds a little muddy.. Saying that loving the blend of the track, really nice. This is personal but those vocals sound as though they've got a little too much hi end sizzled harmonics so them. But hey this is BB...whatever drops, goes.

Just wrapping up a final track from the last BB I wanted to rework, then Ill grab the pack and see what I can rub up out of the bottle, will need a genie to help me top you dude.

Hope others are brewing their mixes

------------------
Thanks to MFXxx
Thomas (25-01-2017)
Old 25-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #18
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Nice work Thomas and great to hear you in the BB's, brings a new level to the fun!

Quality track. New version the bass sounds a little muddy.. Saying that loving the blend of the track, really nice. This is personal but those vocals sound as though they've got a little too much hi end sizzled harmonics so them. But hey this is BB...whatever drops, goes.

Just wrapping up a final track from the last BB I wanted to rework, then Ill grab the pack and see what I can rub up out of the bottle, will need a genie to help me top you dude.

Hope others are brewing their mixes
Thanks man ..I tried the bass on a subwoofer system today, it didn't rock all too heavy here actually, although it may be a bit muddy as you say, but remove that from an original sample and remove half of it ~so and ~so-- I think I will leave it as it is for now you know, because I'm satisf enough to be lazy here. I will surely look forward to hear your take, there are some fine samples among them imo, although that rap was a bit hard to work with

------------------
Old 25-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #19
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903359
Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,108 Posts

Quote:
zort
What are we going to do tomorrow Brain?
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
I/O_Madness (26-01-2017)
Old 25-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #20
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
- TBH I've not grabbed the pack yet...sounds like I need too, so my observations are really uneducated

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
it's a no brainer then...download and produce!

Advertisements

------------------