Beta 87a experience anyone?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 05-05-2014, 04:57 AM   #1
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14960
Beta 87a experience anyone?

I snagged a used Beta 87a recently for $100 bucks. It works, no self noise (well obvious at least!) and seems to be giving me a nice sound while I was trying it out doodling around. It's used and kind of hammered for used, not too scratched but corrosion on the grill. Everything seems to be fine but in order make this guy peak I had to give it a ton of gain and yell. Is it just doing what it's supposed to by taking gain like a bitch, giving a clean output, and being able to take a dynamic beating without overloading? I had to get it the pre to a 6 (Saffire 40) for good signal without being too loud. Does this all sound good? I shouldn't have to return it?

Advertisements

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:05 AM   #2
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010
Re: Beta 87a experience anyone?

The Beta 87a i a nice mic that should be fine with that kind of gain..with it being used though I would keep on eye out on overloads when things get rough n tough..give it good workout and see if you overload..teh Saf's have a nice pre for an interface with a bit of headroom..if you have an extra pre laying around pop it on and see if it makes a diff with you gain stage.. cheers

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
JMagee (05-05-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 05:12 AM   #3
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14960

Yeah, I'll try running it into the Mackie desk an see how things are looking. I was happy with it though, kind of like a too good to be true moment. I mean I had seen them going consistently for $30 more so I just couldn't believe the hype. This is the first mic to replace my banjo player's 2 Sennheiser e935's and a Shure 55SH that he lost at a different gig. Poor guy. But I'm hoping it'll be good option for snares/toms besides a live vocal mic.

AND THANKS! I posted this on Gearslutz two hours ago and haven't heard a damn thing.

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to JMagee
Str8Jaketed (05-05-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Its a good mic..Might not have that retro look of the 55 but has a nice response curve.Captures a performance pretty darn good for not costing 10 times as much. Not everyone has a mic locker full of Neuman's..or Rodes..Blue..etc.. but that mic will catch the voices of his banjo nicely..

Shame he lost those mics..good quality workhorse mics..

I am sure some of the Slutz will have something to say about it..they ALWAYS do..LOL>.

Cheers

Advertisements

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote