Sound Design Portfolio
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 29-04-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
Orray
Soundscaper
Orray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860
Sound Design Portfolio

Might be a bit of a long shot, but does anyone here have experience in making sound design portfolios? I want to do something like this [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
except maybe not quite as long. Obviously including work I have done in the past (which is more or less nothing) would be an option, but should I maybe just find an animator and have them work on a few things with me? Does it need a visual element?

Advertisements

Orray is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4360
Re: Sound Design Portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orray View Post
Might be a bit of a long shot, but does anyone here have experience in making sound design portfolios? I want to do something like this [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
His is a great one. They're fairly difficult to put together. Not only do you need the work, but also to arrange it in a way that has a flow to it, editing makes a difference there, and a decent variety of work to pick from does count. Still, you can squeeze a reel out of very little work with a bit of smart decision-making, even if it results in just 2 minutes of finished video (optimal length if I was making one these days).

It most definitely needs visuals.

Something that reels are not so good for is dialogue-driven film work, e.g. traditional drama that hasn't got effects (though there are ways). Really depends on what work you'd like to showcase, and what kind of new work you look to get with that reel. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
took ages to put together and I had to do a bit of simple (cut) editing on all segments..

------------------
eesn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 08:24 AM   #3
Orray
Soundscaper
Orray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to behold

That was pretty cool, I see what you mean about flow.

If you don't mind me asking, how'd you get work for the projects in your portfolio, without having a portfolio to start with?
Old 30-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4360

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, how'd you get work for the projects in your portfolio, without having a portfolio to start with?
get the first project on sheer luck and try not to blow it from there onwards?

------------------
eesn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to eesn
Orray (03-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
Monkey P.
Analog Lurker
Monkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160

Quote:
That was pretty cool, I see what you mean about flow.

Maybe you could collaborate with small (video) artists in your area or find some on youtube. That way you can build your portfolio and at the same time build on your contacts. If the smaller artists get noticed, you'll get noticed! Make sure they put links in their descriptions and in the subtitles, so that the people viewing can find you.
Monkey P. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Monkey P.
Orray (03-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237429

The other option is just to make a private site, redesign the sounds to some movie trailers or so, and link that to people when applying for a job. It provides context for the sounds and allows them to compare your audio to professional visuals. You will also have to work with fairly complex visuals with lots of things going on and most likely fairly irregular rhythms to them.

Transformers, Inception, and Tron seem common.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

All great suggestions given here..one thing I would add is Foley work if you intend to pursue any work in video/video games.Even throwing in some Surround sound works usually 5.1 suffices.Compile you best work..then spend as much time as need and make it all cohesive.Show them why you should be picked over all the rest.Sound Design is an incredibly highly competitive field where speed and turn very short turn around times are the norm.network as much as possible also...so many gigs and opportunities are from chance meetings.. Best of luck..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:20 AM   #8
Orray
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey P. View Post
Maybe you could collaborate with small (video) artists in your area or find some on youtube. That way you can build your portfolio and at the same time build on your contacts. If the smaller artists get noticed, you'll get noticed! Make sure they put links in their descriptions and in the subtitles, so that the people viewing can find you.
Yeah I think that's probably my best bet. Gonna try and get in contact with a few student short film projects etc. Probably a good place to start.

Thanks everyone else for the help!

Advertisements